Laptops forum

General discussion

acer aspire 5552 starts itself

by crakayl / May 15, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

my laptop starts itself (no power button is touched) as soon as i put the battery in and boots to a black screen with an underscore in top left hand corner for approx 1 minute and then reboots to the same screen, this also happens with the power cord in. all hardware has been checked ie hard drive, memory, keyboard, wifi card and dvd drive. i do not get any joy from pressing any keys ie f2, f10, del, f12 or anything i cannot even get to safe mode or into the BIOS, any help in advance would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: acer aspire 5552 starts itself
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: acer aspire 5552 starts itself
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 12:31 PM PDT

Try unplugging any and all USB things. Then try it without any HDD or ODD. If that fails it's usually the main board.
Bob

Collapse -
reply to Bob
by crakayl / May 17, 2013 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Ideas.

i am thinking its the mainboard as well Bob, the fan is working and i can hear the dvd spinning but there is no lights coming on with the HD although i have tested the HD to be in 100% health, all other hardware tested ok. i will find out the boot order sequence for the hardware to determine what is supposed to start after the dvd. as there is NO Acer logo coming onscreen just the black screen with the underscore in the top left corner which does not blink i was thinking it may be the GPU which i maybe try and reflow in the oven as a last resort. thank you very much for your reply Bob it is very much appreciated.

Crakayl.

ps i will let you know the outcome if i try a GPU reflow.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.