Computer Help forum

Question

Acer Aspire 5251 Stuck on "setup is starting services" HELP?

by Nikii87 / August 31, 2011 2:27 AM PDT

While using my Acer Aspire 5251-1513 the screen went black and it shut down. When I turned it back on, it goes from the Acer screen, to starting windows (windows 7), to "setup is starting services". After about 30 seconds a message window opens stating:
"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation can not proceed. To install windows click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation"
After clicking OK, the computer restarts and goes through the same process, or freezes. I've used F8 at the Acer screen to attempt starting in safe mode with the same result. I did not receive any discs at all with this purchase, Windows 7 had been pre-loaded.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as a student I can not afford to purchase a new computer at this time, yet it is essential to my success.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire 5251 Stuck on "setup is starting services" HELP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire 5251 Stuck on "setup is starting services" HELP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No recovery disks?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 7:33 AM PDT

It looks like Windows is trying to install. Is that what you expected when you restarted after the screen went back and it shut down? or did you expect Windows to 'load up' as normal?

How old is this Acer?

Older versions 'may' have a recovery partition that you access through particular F key combination at boot up. The manual will tell you what keys they are.

But newer ones likely suggested you create your own Recovery Disks as soon as you started the system for the first time. If that's the case here then there is little you can do except call Acer and ask for a set of recovery disks.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like you need to restore ...

to factory condition. Since you didn't receive any restore disks and didn't create them yourself you can try the diskless optiomn using the eRecovery partition.

Here is the standard Acer eRecovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the "Alt" key and press the "F10" key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click "Restore to Factory Default Settings"
4. Click "OK" to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press "OK" to reboot unit

Collapse -
Hi Edward ODaniel
by opto-p / September 17, 2011 1:02 PM PDT

I had the same problem with my laptop. I had problem when shutting down so i tryed to restore it with erecovery and choice "C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image", after going through the process it took me to "setup is starting services". I tryed pushing "ALT F10" and tryed C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image agian and it seems to still be on "setup is starting servics". Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Collapse -
thanks..
by aldrin22 / May 17, 2012 4:33 PM PDT

thanks for your posting this..........i have same problem on this thread but went i follow this instruction i have succes fully complete may restoring may computer..... Laugh

Collapse -
very helpful
by amyb2976 / December 2, 2012 11:20 PM PST

Thank you this was very helpful! Looks like its working so far....

Collapse -
Answer
help
by willow_12 / January 21, 2012 5:45 AM PST

is there an answer???????!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Re: is there an answer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 21, 2012 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: help

Not for you, anyway, cause you didn't tell about your specific problems.
You can read the answers the OP got in this thread.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
setup is starting services
by JOEEDGER / August 13, 2012 12:16 AM PDT

press alt+f10 as soon as ACER appears on the screen. It happened to me 3 times on mine. You should choose to go back to the factory default settings. You will lose everything, but your computer will work.

Collapse -
setup is starting services
by kpasa012 / September 2, 2012 12:22 PM PDT

I had to do this twice on my Acer 5552-3465. I had to order the recovery & system discs from the company, it was 19.95 it fixed after I went back to factory settings, that's crappy that you have to lose everything to get it up & running. I still can't get rid of the "setup is restarting services" when it's logging on.

Collapse -
Help!!
by aerochica28 / March 27, 2013 6:17 AM PDT

I'd try this but ACER doesn't come up on my screen.

Collapse -
help?
by eliseo263 / March 27, 2013 9:45 PM PDT

I tried this but it didnt work a black srceen just happen with a space to type but couldnt type on it thenit would go back to setup is starting services it is a acer aspire 5251-1513 i Reset my laptop earlier for to fatory setting but wanted to keep the existing account to backup c:

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.