Laptops

Resolved Question

Acer 5920g screen died(?)

by lstindy / January 2, 2013 2:14 AM PST

Hi all,

I have an acer aspire 5920g laptop and I need your advice in an- apparently hardware problem.
Some months ago, the screen started to flicker a bit, and went off and on by itself sometimes. At some point though, it never turned on again!
The laptop works, because I have image when I plug it to HDMI. I removed and re-inserted the cable that connects the motherboard with the LCD. But still nothing.
After doing a bit of research, I thought it must be the inverter or the screen died.
However, one day I moved the lid a little bit, and got image on the screen for a few seconds. Then it went dark again! Btw, the backlight is on.

Any suggestions on what should I do??
Your help is much appreciated!

lstindy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer 5920g screen died(?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer 5920g screen died(?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by lstindy

Collapse -
At the top of the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 2:26 AM PST

We have information about the back light tests. But you say the back light is on so why would you suspect the back light and not something like the old function key video switching function?
Bob

Collapse -
Acer 5920g
by lstindy / January 2, 2013 2:40 AM PST

Do you mean the Fn+F6 button? I did that, and the only thing that happens is that the light goes off and on. But no image on the screen.

Collapse -
So the backlight test is done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: Acer 5920g

Try this. Put that model into google and see if others found issues with the video failures. If this hit our shop we'd likely swap the motherboard.
Bob

Collapse -
But an external monitor works.
by lstindy / January 2, 2013 3:05 AM PST

Thank you for the replies Bob! Indeed there are problems with the Gpu and the motherboard with this model.
I thought though, that if it was the Motherboard, then plugging in an external monitor wouldn't work. But it does work!
Any other suggestions?
Thanks again!

Collapse -
There are only a few parts and cables.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 3:18 AM PST

For the DIY folk I suggest they replace parts from the cheapest to the more expensive. Cables if you can find them are cheap. The fact the external works does not mean the motherboard is good. Some of your new techs may think that.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by lstindy / January 3, 2013 1:35 AM PST

Thank you for your help. I hope it is a cable, because replacing the LCD is quite expensive! Happy

Collapse -
I have a screen for you
by Eric-JanHteA / January 5, 2013 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: Ok

When the back-light functions its is not the inverter (afaik).

I just cannibalized my 5920g. The screen did work till the laptop died (due to fluid spill).

The screen though should be sent from The Netherlands so mention what it is worth
to you. The screen will be sent to you with cover (+camera, antenna), hinges and cable
assembled. The inside bezel has a little crack but you could exchange it for yours.

With Kind Regards,
Eric-Jan,
The Netherlands.

Collapse -
Answer
Screen not functioning
by Eric-JanHteA / January 5, 2013 10:11 PM PST

By the way whether the LCD pane does function can be determined in a
dimmed room with a diffuse striking light. You should see a sort of negative
of the original screen layout.

And besides that there are problems reported about the Nvidia M8600 GT
card. But since an external screen functions it is not likely that such is the
case.

Collapse -
Answer
No display or broken display
by JDAllen007 / April 7, 2014 10:00 AM PDT

If you already have an operating system installed, unplug battery, unplug power adapter, remove any and all screws underneath the display including under the battery. There should be 6. Open up screen, remove the cover above the power button. Once you remove that cover you should have easy access to the display connection and unplug the display and put the cover back with all the screws as well. Plug in your monitor and you should be good to go.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.