Laptops forum

Alert

Acer 5738-6969 overheats and shuts down

by shakyshakyme / January 22, 2013 1:30 PM PST

Whenever I play one of my hidden object games, the laptop will shut down after about 15 min. of play. This laptop is about 2 years old and used daily. Everything else I run such as videos, dvds, cds, spreadsheets, no problem! Just the games...which play just fine on my ASUS Tablet, my HP Pavilion laptop, my HP netbook, and my husband's 5-year-old desktop! They even play on my cellphone, but they drag the battery down! But not on this Acer beast. The 5738g had overheating issues, and Acer posted a 'fix' for it, but Acer tells me that my 5738-6969 has no need for it! I beg to differ.
Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer 5738-6969 overheats and shuts down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer 5738-6969 overheats and shuts down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell me about your bottle of canned air.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 11:52 PM PST

Your answer will tell me a lot.

Collapse -
My bottle(s) of canned air
by shakyshakyme / January 23, 2013 2:49 PM PST

I have used several cans of air, but it made no difference. I hesitate to use more (I've gone thru 4 cans) because the dust is just being blown deeper into the laptop. I do appreciate your sense of humor, though.

Collapse -
Then it's time to open it up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 12:50 AM PST

Over in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum at the top we have bonus material for laptop repair. At this point, if you are going to DIY this it's time to open it up to clean and replace all heat sink compounds. When we button it up we are checking that the heat sinks are on solid and not lifting off.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer Aspire 5738G overheating
by Ishtebeneverde / June 13, 2013 12:20 AM PDT

<div>"

The 5738g had overheating issues, and Acer posted a 'fix' for it..."</div>

My 5738G overheats and shuts down while surfing or watching a video. What 'fix' are you talking about?

Collapse -
I've seen such before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 5:01 AM PDT

And most of the time it's the BIOS update that changes the clock rates or voltages down a tad. If your laptop is current with all patches and BIOS from the maker, then it's time for deeper cleaning (if canned air didn't help) as well as the deeper work noted above.
Bob

Collapse -
UPDATE
by shakyshakyme / June 13, 2013 8:47 PM PDT

I replaced it with a desktop. Gave it away for parts.

Collapse -
I gave it the mother-of-all home cleanings and - voila!
by swanjame / February 2, 2014 10:28 AM PST

I bought my 5738-6969 about 4 years ago as a demo clearance but it always ran hot. It would shut down at high ambient temperatures and/or high power. I was going to redo all of the heat sink stuff when I found some information on cleaning it without opening it up. I gave it the mother-of-all home cleanings and - voila! - fixed the problem. It now runs at least 30 degrees Centigrade - 86 degrees Fahrenheit - cooler under all conditions; I cannot overload it. I don't know what was in there or what was dislodged. I do know that I was even searching for a new processor.

Even at this late date Acer should come clean (pun intended) on the 5738g problems. It sounds like they had a serious cleanliness breach on their assembly line, and probably had one on the 5738-6969, too.

I had not been aware that this was a known 5738 problem until I came across this thread today.

Jim

Collapse -
Please elaborate on "spring cleaning" of Acer laptop
by in_jenious / September 2, 2014 4:57 AM PDT

I opened my Acer 5738 laptop up over the weekend and we blew it out as much as we could, but with no difference in operating temp. afterwards. It's still running around 65-70° C with just an email program open. Just curious where/what information you read to do this mother-of-all home cleaning because I'd love to try it before going down thermal paste road..
Thanks!
Jen

Collapse -
Thermal paste is turning out to be needed even when new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2014 9:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Cleaning
by swanjame / October 21, 2014 2:40 PM PDT

in_jenious-

I was not notified of your question or I would have replied earlier.

At the time I happened to find a good YouTube video on it and when I gave him a kudo the video disappeared.

I never took the computer apart at all. I did not impede the airflow into or out of the computer.

I used a vacuum cleaner and vacuumed all of the air exits and then all of the air inlets. Then I reversed the vacuum and blew air through it both ways. Then I vacuumed both ways again. I never got anything out that I noticed. I was aggressive in establishing air flow through the computer both ways and not just getting a surface effect.

Perform at your own risk. I was aggressive and at the time I was so exasperated that I figured that it would not be any loss to break it.

I was amazed that it ran so much cooler after that. It has been operating so well that I upgraded the RAM to 8GB, bought a new battery, and put in a 1TB HDD. I did not notice any dust, dirt, or damage.on any of those actions. That's about $250 in upgrades, just to illustrate the confidence I now have in this computer.

Jim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.