Dell

General discussion

Accidentally deleted my computer Audio Driver!?

by Sharkeyy / August 10, 2009 12:51 PM PDT

So my computer was running slow the other night so I decided to uninstall some unnecessary programs. Not knowing I uninstalled SigmaTel Audio, which turned out to be my Audio Driver!

Now I have no sound and when after downloading the driver off Dell (or another source) and trying to install it, I get the following message:

"Device Object not present, restart the system and restart again."

I've restarted my computer but still no luck! Even though my computer is running faster, the lack of sound is killing me! So if anyone can tell me what this "Device Object" is and how I can fix my problem, possibly step-by-step, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Addition Information:

Model: Dell Dimension E510
Operating System: Windows XP
Missing Audio Driver: SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accidentally deleted my computer Audio Driver!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accidentally deleted my computer Audio Driver!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Installed but got error after restart....
by Sharkeyy / August 11, 2009 11:46 PM PDT

I was very happy to download and install the driver with no problem! As directed, I restarted my computer. After restarting I received the following message on my desktop:

"sttray.exe - Entry Point Not Found"

"The procedure entry point LocalizeString could not be located in dynamic link librarrt STLang.dll."

Any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Error Message After Restarting Computer
by Sharkeyy / August 11, 2009 11:54 PM PDT

I was so happy to download and install the driver you showed me! As advised, I restarted my computer. After restarting I received the following message on my desktop:

"sttray.exe - Entry Point Not Found"

"The procedure entry point LocalizeString could not be located in the dynamic link library STLang.dll."

Anything you could tell me about the error and fixing it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Collapse -
go uninstall the audio driver reboot reload it again
by Basket628 / August 12, 2009 9:10 AM PDT

go uninstall the audio driver reboot reload it again.

Collapse -
No Luck
by Sharkeyy / August 12, 2009 11:28 AM PDT

I uninstalled it, restarted my computer, installed it and restarted my computer again....still no luck! I am still receiving the "sttray.exe - Entry Point Not Found" message!

If you help me fix this problem I will forever be in your debt!!!

Collapse -
Does it do itwhen the driver is uninstalled.
by Basket628 / August 12, 2009 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: No Luck

Does it do itwhen the driver is uninstalled.

Collapse -
Yes...
by Sharkeyy / August 12, 2009 11:26 PM PDT

Yes, the message comes up both when the Audio Driver is uninstalled and installed....

Collapse -
uninstall the driver then go to search look for file delete
by Basket628 / August 13, 2009 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

uninstall the driver then go to search look for file delete

Collapse -
What File?
by Sharkeyy / August 13, 2009 11:16 AM PDT

Look for what file?

Collapse -
search for this file sttray.exe
by Basket628 / August 13, 2009 6:11 PM PDT
In reply to: What File?

search for this file sttray.exe

Collapse -
Delete them all?
by Sharkeyy / August 13, 2009 10:41 PM PDT

There are multiple "sttray.exe" files. Two of which warn me that they will be permanently deleted. Should I delete them all or only the one with the SigmaTel icon?

Collapse -
delete all
by Basket628 / August 14, 2009 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Delete them all?

delete all

Collapse -
Nothing....
by Sharkeyy / August 14, 2009 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: delete all

Ok, so I deleted all of them. Restarted my computer, then installed the SigmaTel Driver and restarted my computer again. I know longer receive the message but still no sound!

Collapse -
try system restore the issue started how you can do it
by Basket628 / August 14, 2009 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing....

Log on to Windows as Administrator.
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.

Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration Complete page is displayed.
Click OK.

Collapse -
Already Tried...
by Sharkeyy / August 14, 2009 11:48 AM PDT

A system restore was the first thing I tried but unfortunetly something is wrong with system restore and none of my restore points work! Most likely the fix to that is turning it on then off.

Is there anything else I can do or another Audio driver that's compatible with my computer?

Thanks again for all your help, I really apreciate it!

Collapse -
Probably next step is a clean reinstall of the OS
by Basket628 / August 14, 2009 7:59 PM PDT

Probably next step is a clean reinstall of the Windows XP.

Collapse -
More Problems...
by Sharkeyy / August 14, 2009 9:00 PM PDT

I'm not sure were the discs are that came with the computer, besides the fact that my CD drive doesn't work, can I download it from Dell? Would it damage or erase any of my files?

Collapse -
argh! same problem
by cmarvel07 / August 28, 2009 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: More Problems...

i am having the same exact problem and i've tried all of the above :(....sharkeyy have you fixed it yet?

Collapse -
Response re: Sigmatel sttray.exe error
by Jocko99 / March 10, 2010 5:09 PM PST
In reply to: argh! same problem

The previous poster is right. There's 2 of those sttray.exe files. You just have to uninstall, then START > SEARCH > sttray.exe and then MANUALLY delete that extra file. Restart the computer to be on the safe side. Reinstall Sigmatel, then restart and see that the error message is gone at startup.

Why is it that Dell always bundles crap on their computers that doesn't work?!!!

Collapse -
Os reinstall will errase everthing on system
by Basket628 / August 14, 2009 9:39 PM PDT

If you cdrom drive does not work will need to buy a drive. I the system still under warranty Dell replace the cdrom drive. If you do not have the cds call dell they can ship them to you. If its out of warranty will cost around $10 for the cds not sure if that price is right drivers can download off of Dells support site.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.