Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Newbies

General discussion

accessing XP's Downloads folder?

by grandpaw7 / October 28, 2004 9:22 PM PDT

When I download something, I get XP's Downloads list showing the current download at the top. How can I access this when I am not downloading but just want to see the information? Thanks, grandpaw

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: accessing XP's Downloads folder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: accessing XP's Downloads folder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: accessing XP's Downloads folder?
by glb613 / October 29, 2004 12:30 AM PDT

What browser are you using? Is the download folder one you created?

Collapse -
Re: accessing XP's Downloads program?
by grandpaw7 / October 29, 2004 1:01 AM PDT

HI, glb. I'm sure the word "folder" doesn't is not the right one; I guess it should be called a program; it doesn't show up in Explore.

I am using Firfox (Bob Profitt please note). I thought that I got the same thing when I was using 98 on XP, but I may be remembering wrong.

I didn't create what I called the folder. It pops up when I go to download a program. It lists all the programs I have downloaded and has for each an Open and a Remove button; for the current download it has a progress bar. When the download is complete and I click on the Open button, the folder goes away.

When I search the word "downloads" in XP search, I don't see any reference to it, which is natural since MS search and I rarely see eye to eye on what people can be expected to search for.

gramdpaw

Collapse -
Re: accessing XP's Downloads program?
by glb613 / October 29, 2004 1:44 AM PDT

I don't use that browser so I can't give a specific answer. But, most browsers work the same. They have a download manager that shows what you have downloaded. You should be able to locate that through the menu at the top of the screen.

Each browser, like IE, Netscape, Firefox, will have a default folder for downloads. You can change the location or destination for the download when the dialogue box appears. I create folders for each item I download so I can find it later and keep myself organized.

If you know the same of the download, go to start, search and click on files or folders. Type in the name of the download and Windows should find it for you. Does that help?

Collapse -
Thanks, glb, but no cigar
by grandpaw7 / October 29, 2004 4:35 AM PDT

I really just wanted to see Firefox' list of programs I had downloaded using it But thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Thanks, glb, but no cigar
by glb613 / October 29, 2004 5:16 AM PDT

Check the download manager. If you don't know where to find it, look at each menu category or the help section.

Collapse -
Please hand me my dunce cap
by grandpaw7 / October 29, 2004 9:18 PM PDT

I have the unique ability to look right at something I'm looking for and not see it. So, it's no surprise that when I clicked Tools in order to go to Options I failed to the Downloads button above Tools. Thanks, glb, and pick out any cigar you want. grandpaw

Collapse -
Like I said: Please hand me my dunce cap
by grandpaw7 / October 29, 2004 9:23 PM PDT

My reply to glb should have been to Bill. Oh, well, it's early yet and I haven't had my coffee. Glb, your input was helpful to me. Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: accessing XP's Downloads folder?
by billzhills / October 29, 2004 2:06 AM PDT

grandpaw7,

In Tool Bar ...Go to Tools -> Options -> Downloads

You will have two choices
"ask me where to save every file" or "save to this folder" ,The download folder location will be listed beside this selection. From your post Firefox is set to this selection.

Bill

Collapse -
Bill,
by grandpaw7 / October 29, 2004 4:37 AM PDT

When I go to Tools>Options, I get a page entitled General with subitems Home Page, Fonts and Colors, Languages, Default Browser, and Connection, but no Downloads. What am I doing wrong?

Collapse -
Re: Bill,
by billzhills / October 29, 2004 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Bill,

grandpaw7,

Sorry I should of carried it futher....

On the left you will see General, Privacy, Web Features, Downloads, Advanced each of these is a button to take you to another selection of controls.

Or, if you will, a different version of Windows tabs.

Click on downloads to see where FireFox is sending your downloads or make changes.

Better....?

Bill
Happy

Collapse -
Please hand me my dunce cap
by grandpaw7 / October 29, 2004 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Bill,

I have the unique ability to look right at something I'm looking for and not see it. So, it's no surprise that when I clicked Tools in order to go to Options I failed to the Downloads button above Tools.

Sorry, Bill, but I'm not understanding your further instructions. You want me to go to Tools>Options. Then you say "On the left you will see General, Privacy, Web Features, Downloads, Advanced each of these is a button to take you to another selection of controls." I'm not understanding what you mean by "on the left"; the left of what? It sounds like you are talking about the tabs in Internet Properties, though they differ some from what you list.

Even though you gave me the answer to my original question of how to open the Downloads list, I'm curious to understand these later instructions.

Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
Bill, would you please
by grandpaw7 / October 29, 2004 9:56 PM PDT

look at my reply below to Glenn's post? Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
Grandpaw, let me take a stab at this...
by glenn30 / October 29, 2004 6:49 AM PDT

I use Firefox 1.0PR. Select Tools|Options|Choose Downloads in the left sidebar and from the "Downloads Folder" section "Save all files to this folder:" will probably ticked. To the right push "Show Folders" button... this should show all your downloads and the link and folder where they are located. Hope this helps!

Have a great day!

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Grandpaw, let me take a stab at this...
by grandpaw7 / October 29, 2004 9:55 PM PDT

Glenn, I now know that to get to the Downloads list I have to click on Tools in the Toolbar at the top, and then on the resulting menu click on Downloads. My setup doesn't call for me to go to Options because I get the Downloads button when I click on Tools. But I presume that the Downloads list I get when I click on Downloads is a different setup from what you and Bill get. When I do click on Downloads I get a page that lists all my downloads on the left with Open and Remove buttons on the right for each download. At the bottom it says that all files are downloaded to Desktop. There is no "Save all files to this folder" or "Show Folders" buttons.

Are you and Bill using Firefox as I am?

grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Hi Grandpaw - My turn
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 10:45 PM PDT

May I have a stab at this?

I use Netscape Communicator 7.1. It's a bit old and tired now, but it is based on Mozilla which is what Firefox is based on, so there are some things that are similar.

I wonder if you, (Grandpaw), are confusing Download Manager with downloading files to particular locations onto your hard disk. If not, you may ignore the rest of this post, and I will go back to sleep, Happy

Netscape and Firefox have a download manager which are essentially the same. Your download manager has buttons for Open and Remove on the right of each entry, but in my Download Manager they are at the top of the window, so I have to highlight each file to perform one of those actions if I wanted to.But they are basically the same. By the way, I access my Download Manager the same as you do, Tools > Download Manager.

It seems to me that Download Manager doesnt really serve any purpose. It is just a list of programs or files that Netscape, (or Firefox), has downloaded for me, (or you). Other than displaying a progress bar when downloading a large file which is useful for large files or slow modem connections, and which you can cancel at any time if you want, it does nothing else. It doesn't show which locations you downloaded to. Neither does it remove files when you click Remove. It just removes the entry from the list.

So, all in all, an interesting utility, but not much good. I check mine occasionally and remove old entries from the list. Then I let it hibernate for a while in the background.

But, and here is the big but, when I choose to download something, a file, or image or program, from the internet, Netscape opens up a "Save as" dialogue box. I'm sure Firefox does the same.

It is this dialogue window that allows me to "choose" where I download my file to.

By default, the window chooses "Desktop", but I can change this if I wish, (and I very often do), to a folder of my choice. This dialogue window is a mini Windows Explorer, (note I do not mean Internet Explorer), and by clicking the pull down arrow to the right of the "Save in" window, I can then navigate to wherever I want to save this particular file.

When I choose my destination folder, and click on "Save", then Download Manager takes over and saves my file for me. But that's all it does.

Grandpaw if you want to look at all the files you have downloaded, you will need to know where you have downloaded them to, and use Windows Explorer to find them. I'm not sure if you have ever mentioned using Windows Explorer before. If not, and if you haven't used it before, then a whole new world awaits you, Happy

I believe Windows Explorer is the single most useful tool I have on my computer. It allows me to look at the contents of my hard disk and organise folders and files the way I want to organise them, "not" the way Windows XP wants to organise them.

It is a wonderful tool. It is very powerful as well, and can wreak havoc to the uninitiated, eg, by moving a folder that contains a program file, you can make that program completely inoperable. This is because Windows registers where programs are installed, and moving files and folders does not change that installation history. However, for moving documents, and image files, etc, it is great.

Now, I may be completely off the mark here. And if I am I do apologise. But perhaps this will help you understand Download Manager a bit more?

Mark

PS: Lessons for using Windows Explorer available from me at $50 an hour, Happy

Collapse -
by glenn30 / October 29, 2004 11:37 PM PDT

Thanks markflax! I think the Download Manager may have been part of the confusion. Good explanation and also the part "Internet Explorer" plays.

Now for Grandpaw... yes I do use Firefox 1.0PR which may not be the version you are using but should be quite similiar. Try this again... from the upper toolbar choose Tools|Options|From that page click "Downloads" in the left sidebar. At the top of the Options window and under the general heading of Downloads you will find a section titled "Download Folder". Here is where you find the radio button for "Save all files to this folder:" and to the right of that is "Show Folder" button. When pushed (clicked) it will list the default folder where all your downloads are saved. If it is not to your liking you can change the default location to any folder you like by making changes to the button immediately to the left of that Show Folder button. I created a folder called "My Downloads" under my documents that I find as a convenient place. If your version of Firefox does not have the above then I do no know what to tell you.

You can use markflax's Internet Explorer explanation to move your downloads from their present location if you desire. Remember as markflax said that Download Manager and its list is sort of useless. I usually purge that list immediately after a download.

Grandpaw, have a nice day! I'm going to a family reunion and gorge myself on lots of good food. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 6:33 AM PDT

Thanks Glenn

Just a small correction. You mention Internet Explorer, but it is actually Windows Explorer, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, I did... thanks for correction Mark ;)
by glenn30 / October 30, 2004 7:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
by billzhills / October 29, 2004 11:24 PM PDT

grandpaw,

Seems Marks post pretty well explains what is going on.

The Download button only shows you what you have downloaded....nothing more.

Glen and I are looking under Options to make
changes on how FireFox handles certain events.

Now back to my post and your responce.....

Ver0.9 FireFox is the browser I am using.
Under Tools -> (in order) Web Search -> Downloads -> Extensions -> Themes -> JavaScript Console -> Page Info -> OPTIONS.

Selecting Options opens a window that has two panes. The pane on the left has incons that are tabs. The right pane, actually centered in window, has the setting changes.

Each Icon Tab is a commond group of settings similar to IE.

Am I getting any better (meaning that painting pictures with words is not something I do well and need all the help I can get to get better. So THANK YOU for helping me.)

Bill
Wink

Collapse -
by glenn30 / October 29, 2004 11:49 PM PDT

You paint a good picture... makes good sense to me! Your version of Firefox and its options may vary slightly from mine but basically is the same. I think grandpaw will figure it out now. Wink

Glenn

Collapse -
I'm causing too much commotion
by grandpaw7 / October 30, 2004 9:51 PM PDT

I'm afraid I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. The reason I wanted to be able to access Download Manager at will is that I frequently forget what I have Downloaded and I thought that would be an easy way to be reminded. Thanks to the advice I have received, I know now that I can access it at will by Tools>Downloads.

I also thought that clicking Remove in Download Manager would trigger the same operation as Removing in Add/Rmove. Thanks to the advice have received, I now know that is not the case.

I am aware that I can go to Programs in Explorer and see what programs are there, but that is a bit more complicated than going to Download Manager just to review what I have downloaded. Also, though I think I have always downloaded to Programs, I thought that going to Download Manager would be a good way to see if it listed any programs that are not also in Programs and were somehow downloaded to a different folder.

I know about the option when I download of choosing the foler destination. As I say, I think I have always used the Programs default.

The advice about going Tools>Options>Download was a bit confusing since that is not the path I need to use. And, typically foor me, when I clicked on Tools to go to Options, my eyes simply overlooked the word Downloads in the submenu. Likewise, I didn't understand the business about seeing something on the left side. When I do go to Tools>Options, I get a single window called General that deals with Home Page, Fonts & Colors, Languges, Dafault Browser, and Connection, and I don't get anything about Save.

In my initial post, I should have noted the version of Firefox I am using since it differs from other versions in the way it uses Tools. I'll see if I can find out what my version is.

Thanks to all. Have a nice life (I never could understand why people who wish me a nice day did not take into consideration those days that follow; I mean, do they want me to have just one nice day and that's all?).

grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: I'm causing too much commotion
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 8:24 PM PST

Yep, you are. Happy

But then, these forums without you just wouldn't be the same Grandpaw.

Keep up the good work, (grin).

Mark

Collapse -
Re: I'm causing too much commotion
by billzhills / October 31, 2004 8:39 PM PST

With out you my ablity to communicate would be less.

So keep postiing and Thanks.

Have a good LIFE!

Bill
Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.