Windows 7

Question

Accessing my users after restoring old backup to new system.

by CNN80 / November 30, 2012 4:12 AM PST

Hi,

My laptop was stolen recently. However, I was lucky to have a back up (old, really old) that I can use to recover at least some of my data.
I now have a new laptop and I restored the backup on it. However, I created a user name different from the two that are on the backup. If I now create the two users, will they automatically be linked to the files that were restored? Alternatively, is there a way to link all files to the new username?
Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accessing my users after restoring old backup to new system.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accessing my users after restoring old backup to new system.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No and no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 4:18 AM PST

" will they automatically be linked to the files that were restored? Alternatively, is there a way to link all files to the new username?"

No and no. I've yet to see any migration tool do that. As to creating the user after my experience is that it deletes the user's files under that user folder's name.

Bob

Collapse -
Alternatives
by CNN80 / December 5, 2012 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: No and no.

Can I reverse the backup process, create the users and then restore again? Will I now have direct access to the users on the backup?

Collapse -
Seems something you should try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Alternatives

As to your second question, that depends on the backup system. Many of them will be a simple no. Mine are a little more forgiving as I used Goodsync or Syncback.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You can copy from one user ID to another
by wpgwpg / November 30, 2012 4:43 AM PST

Each user ID has its own set of libraries (i.e. Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos), but you can access them if you have admin authority by clicking Start -> Computer, then look at the C: drive for the Users folder. Click on that and you'll see each user ID. When you click on one of the user IDs, you'll see its libraries. You can then copy from them to the one you want.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.