Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Accessing another computer on a home wireless network

by Ziks511 / December 16, 2004 9:28 AM PST

Can I access the files on another computer on the home network? And if so, how? US Robotics wireless router.

Rob Boyter

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accessing another computer on a home wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accessing another computer on a home wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what have you done?
by glb613 / December 16, 2004 7:26 PM PST

Your post doesn't provide much information. What steps have you taken to network your computers? What files or folders do you have shared? Are you using a firewall? What operating systems are you running? It isn't difficult to network computers but, it does require you complete certain tasks.

Collapse -
Need more info.
by jjcool / December 16, 2004 7:44 PM PST

What windows are you using? do you have internet connection sharing enabled? how many computers? do you just want access to the files or want control over the other computer? need some more info.

anyway heres a site to that will help. cause im not gonna try when i dont know what software your using.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,68763,00.asp

Collapse -
Re:Accessing another computer on a home wireless network
by luxx / December 16, 2004 8:50 PM PST

I will assume the following:
_You use Windows XP
_You have a working network

If these 2 are correct then you need to open windows explorer, right click on the fodler you want to see from the other computer: properties - sharing - share this folder - ok.
This will give read permission on that folder to anyone on the network, if you want to change this, click on permissions and change it before pressing OK.

Now you can see this folder (it can be also a complete partition) from the other computers on the network.

luxx.

Collapse -
Thanks Luxx, glb613, and JJCool, and apologies.
by Ziks511 / April 5, 2005 3:04 PM PDT

Too many things intervening in the past 4 Months, new house, moving, renovation, all sorts of other things.

System: WinXP SP2 on both computers, newish (Aug) US Robotics Wireless Router and remote terminal, new large HDD on remote system. Both computers access the internet fine via Router. Am insufficiently proficient re: Network but I assume it is working if the Router is working OK. Anything else I should know?

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
You need to share something
by glb613 / April 5, 2005 8:24 PM PDT

Most people share a printer. You can share a folder or the entire hard drive if you choose.

Do you have a firewall? If so, you need to configure it to let the network through. With Zone Alarm, you change the network from internet to trused.

I have three computers with XP networked through a wireless connection. I used the network wizard to connect each one. Some claim it isn't necessary but, it is what worked for me. To see the other computers on my network, I open my network places. That is where I can access everything that is shared.

Collapse -
only thing they share is internet access
by Ziks511 / April 5, 2005 11:18 PM PDT

both have their own printers.

Rob

Collapse -
Is your network encrypted?
by JBengeII / April 5, 2005 9:44 PM PDT

Are you using the WEP(wireless encryption protcol) keys or some sort of encryption on your computers? You may be allowing neigbors to access your network,
my 802.11b frequency has a 100 ft radius.

Collapse -
If you are talking to me
by glb613 / April 5, 2005 9:49 PM PDT

the answer is yes. I found out my wireless can be detected across the street. A lot farther than 100 feet. I can detect all of the other wireless connection on my block just by taking my computer outside and walking down the sidewalk. Fortunately, they are all protected.

Collapse -
No it was Ziks511
by JBengeII / April 5, 2005 10:17 PM PDT

I was asking the OP.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) We use a WEP key
by Ziks511 / April 5, 2005 11:19 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.