Peripherals forum

Resolved Question

Accessing 3.5" IDE files from external drive...Denied !

by stephennity / February 14, 2013 5:36 PM PST

I have a 3.5" IDE hard drive with 2 partitions that I am trying to access via an external enclosure...I have connected to my Acer Aspire One netbook but can only access one of the partitions on the IDE drive...the 2 partitions/drives,say E and F are there but I can only access the E drive...when I attempt to access the F drive,a message of "files not accessible" is given.....aarrrgh !

Anybody know how I can overcome this please ? ...before removing the IDE harddrive from the older and un-working computer both partitions/drives were perfectly accessible.

I have no idea what to do but need access to these files...they are my own recorded music files of several years that I have nowhere else...any musicians will have some sympathy I hope if not empathy !

Well...I`ll leave it here and hope somebody may be able to offer some advice.

stephennity has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accessing 3.5" IDE files from external drive...Denied !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accessing 3.5" IDE files from external drive...Denied !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Could be ... true ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 2:40 AM PST

But look at the details so far. No mention of the original or the current OS you are running. It could be some encrypted partition or some other reason.

Did you try any of the tips and tools from the CNET Storage Forum sticky?

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by stephennity

Collapse -
by Willy / February 15, 2013 2:43 AM PST

So, I take it this is the only copy of your years of work? if so, sorry, you should consider multiple copies saved elsewhere.

As for your setup, are you using FAT32 as the format of the drive, is so that can cause problems with larger caches of files or simple storage. Since, it appears you're re-using the HD, just how old is it. Further, you use it on a Aspire One PC which may have it own issues. How does this ext. HD act on yet another desktop PC, maybe? Checl all that out and come back with results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Issue solved .
by stephennity / February 15, 2013 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Details...

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have managed to access the files through the properties link and access them via the security tab etc...seems easy now but earlier I couldn`t seem to get that far...I changed laptop and I don`t know if there was an improper connection but in the end it was accessed...I did have back-ups...but "somewhere" ! and it wasn`t until I needed them that I couldn`t find the back-ups that had been put safely away !

But I`m content for now and thank you for the replies... Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.