Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

General discussion

Access Violation Error ad address 00423B70 in Module Comcast

by WGreg / August 17, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

Getting this error when I go to shut down my PC. Access Violation Error ad address 00423B70 in Module Comcast AntiSpy.exe Write of address 0000000D. Running Windows XP and Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. Have downloaded Spy Bot-SD Resident and Malwarebytes Anti Malware to try to fix the problem but it has not worked. Comcast tells me it is becaues I don't use their Norton Package provided with Comcast. I am also running Microsoft Security Essential as I am typing this to try to fix the problem. Any help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Access Violation Error ad address 00423B70 in Module Comcast
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Access Violation Error ad address 00423B70 in Module Comcast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I would try.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 17, 2010 10:38 PM PDT

I would try and uninstall Nortons completely using their own Removal Tool.

You will see a link there for "I have a product that was purchased from my service provider".

It seems likely that when you uninstalled this Comcast provided Norton utility it didn't all uninstall properly.

Just a note. We find that Spybot often doesn't work with today's anti-virus scanners and we don't recommend it. Also, you say you are using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 as well as Microsoft Security Essentials. They may be conflicting.

Mark

Collapse -
Access Violation Error ad address 00423B70 in Module Comcast
by Faithraven2 / May 27, 2012 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: What I would try.

(ALWAYS RUN AND SAVE SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS BEFORE AND AFTER INSTALLING OR UN-INSTALLING ANY CRITICAL COMPONENTS OR SOFTWARE!!)

Besides the fact that running multiple firewall or spyware guard and removal programs together will conflict with each other; different defense programs have, or search for signatures related to attacks. Something listed by one of these programs can easily show up as an attack or initiate a defense or (Access violation) and cause itself or another program to stop working properly or not at all.

Example, older versions of Spy-bot would list "file sets", or versions of attacks in a file that Spy-bot protected against, While older versions of Norton for example would see these and warn or initiate a removal of that reference. The actual file or program was nothing more than a reference in your registries and or settings of Spy-bot (advanced mode).

Comcast customers who use Norton 360 (Comcast version) should note that: Windows firewall, Windows Live Essentials, and other firewall or spyware removal programs can cause the same dilemma if run together or at the same time. One of the reasons why you are asked to disable or close these programs while installing any other number of programs is to prevent some of these same occurrences.

My suggestion to you before deciding one program or another is useless or better than another is to decide which ones you want to use. You need firewall and virus intrusion or protection software. Some combinations of these will or won't work together. In my experience, Norton and Spy-bot work well together under most circumstance if they are the only Two you use. Although, installing Spy-bot first before Norton allows Norton to recognize newer versions of Spy-bot as a form of virus protection and from there their default settings works well. Installing Norton first does not always work the same. Norton 360 all by itself without spy-bot, Live essentials or Windows software has all the features you need if you know where to look, (Registry Cleaner, Program removal or disabling, backup services and more). Spy-Bot does not have a couple of these features so I include "CCleaner" from Piraform, not File-Hippo. File-Hippo wants you to wait and offers other software you may not want.

So for me, your programs may differ but the result is the same, I would first download and save the install program and not install right away the programs I want to use. I would then, disconnect from the internet or network you are on to avoid intrusions or attacks. If you have these or multiple similar programs installed or running, I would then completely shut them down or disable these programs and background processes so that uninstall will be unhampered and more complete.

["CCleaner" is a good program for closing any and all running processes via it's "Tools" section and then "Start-up". Programs can be disabled or removed as well from the "Uninstall" tab in tools. This is also a great program for cleaning your registry entries, temp files, and various settings of software saves. BE SURE TO BACKUP AND SAVE BEFORE AND AFTER CHANGES JUST IN CASE ]

I generally install in this order for my choices, CCleaner, Spy-Bot, Then my Norton products. I disable or don't use at this point, Windows firewall, or the security section of "Live Essentials" unless these are my choices, then I would only use CCleaner, Spy-Bot, and then install or re-install the other software I choose in that order. Spy-Bot needs to have updates first, then a full scan of your PC, then immunization ran to protect your remaining software in your system before continuing installs of your chosen Programs. Both CCleaner and Spy-Bot for Windows 7 especially need their .EXE file properties set to run as Administrator first in order to work completely and properly.

All other settings in advanced modes for these programs are generally safe and should not be changed without specific knowledge of how to use them.

In conclusion, Clean, Fresh installs usually solve these issues when done correctly. Continue to install your Firewall/virus-guard software and then reconnect to your network or internet to get further updates. Finally, run any last scans to get a good starting reference point.

Collapse -
Thanks,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 6:29 AM PDT

but I didn't have this problem.

And since the OP's post was nearly two years ago, I'm guessing the OP doesn't have this problem any more.

Mark

Collapse -
ad Address 00423B70 AntiSpy fix !!!!
by Sica 123 / September 17, 2010 12:05 PM PDT

It took me HOURS to track down a solution to what was to me a real HEADACHE. Not only was it swollowing up my 4 core CPU but it was preventing me from closing down my PC without first canceling a big Green and RED ERROR message. You most likely added A COMCAST tool bar to your PC containing this AntiSyp.exe. Go to your CONTROL PANEL and using ADD/REMOVE DELETE that COMCAST TOOL BAR and your problem is solved. PS: Comcast has never heard of AntiSyp.exe. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by healingboy / February 6, 2012 9:59 AM PST

Kept me from piddling with this problem for hours. I uninstalled the "Xfinity" toolbar and the problem is gone! Thank you so much for your tip.

Collapse -
Acciness Violation Error 00423b70
by diamonds5159 / September 20, 2011 6:46 AM PDT

I have finally found a solution for this nuisance. If you happen to have Norton Security Suite on your computer,go to Startup Manager and comcastantispy.exe should come up.Turn it off and then click on it once.Then hit ctrl,alt. and del. at the same time.This will take you to processes section.Scroll down until you find comcastantispy,click on it and then click on end process and this should end the problem,I know it did for me and I hope it works for you because I know it has been a nuisance for me for quite awhile. Good Luck

Collapse -
What happens when you restart the PC?
by Faithraven2 / May 27, 2012 6:36 AM PDT

Ending processes like this is only temporary to the time you are logged on to your computer and reloads at start up.

Collapse -
Again,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 6:39 AM PDT

you are replying to an old post. That one is 8 months old. I doubt they still have the same problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Fixed
by MrVida / September 26, 2011 6:54 AM PDT

Had this problem myself. I had the comcast toolbar. I had uninstalled the toolbar, but it left the antispy. To remove it I used crtl-alt-del to access the task manager then clicked the process tab and browsed through until I found it. I right clicked it and selected "open file location" and inside the folder there was the program (duh) along with an uninstaller. I used the uninstaller and it is now gone.

Collapse -
comcastantispy.exe and associated access violation error
by jadickso / October 4, 2011 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed

@MrVida...Your solution worked perfectly. I was on with comcast and they couldn't help me. No more processors spinning endlessly.

Collapse -
Access Violation Error ad address 00423B70 in Module Comcas
by latoll31 / October 26, 2011 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Fixed

Super simple. Thank you!!!. I had the same problem.
latoll31

Collapse -
How to fix Access Violation Error ad address 00423B70 in Mod
by windyKy / December 30, 2011 10:29 AM PST

My friend had this problem last week, it takes me six hours to look around on google to fix this problem, I found this blog provide a useful information to fix comcastantispy.exe related errors: how to fix comcastantispy.exe error.

Collapse -
Created this account just to say thanks!
by junkmail4782 / August 25, 2012 4:35 AM PDT

Thanks!

Collapse -
comcast anitspy.exe
by davidscott101 / November 1, 2012 12:36 AM PDT

00423b70/0000000d

Collapse -
Access violation Error at address 00423B70 in Module Comcast

Access violation Error at address 00423B70 in Module Comcast.antispy.exe. Write of Address 0000000D. Running explorer 7 IBM clone

Collapse -
This old discussion was solved.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2013 5:43 AM PDT

And now is closed. If you have the same issue, use the same solution. If that doesn't work, please start a new discussion with full details.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.