How To forum

Question

ACCESS to Just ONE WEBSITE

by iCouldaSwore / January 12, 2013 7:10 PM PST

I know this is real simple, but Its kicking my butt.
Can someone please tell me HOW I can restrict a laptop to just ONE website? Would prefer to even take out the Hard drive and just have a CD in it!

Was thinking maybe even a bootable CD - Id even be open to LINUX if someone can help me out.

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ACCESS to Just ONE WEBSITE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ACCESS to Just ONE WEBSITE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Keep in mind this was asked before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2013 11:32 PM PST

I see prior discussions on google. About the Linux angle. There are many web pages on making your own CD with custom versions but again, I have yet to find anyone write a step by step in a forum. It appears that you go get the web page on how to do that and them dive in.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) PS. Research KIOSK MODE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 8:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
I'm Not Sure it Will Work, but...
by RoseMakh / January 13, 2013 5:11 AM PST

I'm not a computer genius and apparently what you want is very difficult to do, judging from replies to similar questions online.

My best guess from what I found is to create a bootable image of Linux on a bootable CD, then boot from that in your harddrive-free laptop.

Here's a video of a guy doing that with Ubuntu Linux. The comments below the page tell you how to create the bootable image and CD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbbw6NvOCwU

On the bootable image, you should have Google Chrome installed, with the Whitelist extention installed and set up the way you want it. Whitelist blocks every website except for the one(s) you "whitelist". I don't know if it's a free extension or not, but it's the first solution I came across, so there you go.

Whitelist link from Chrome store:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/whitelist-for-chrome/pocjkchlmhkjafdpmkklknmjhokobgmh?hl=en-US

Like I mentioned before, I'm not a computer genius, and I can't guarantee that a savvy user would be 100% restricted from cracking their way through this setup and into the "I Can Haz Cheezburger" network, but it's the best solution I could find.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.