Linux forum

Resolved Question

Access the Hard Drive from Fedora LiveCD

by naran13 / December 27, 2012 4:51 AM PST

Not sure if this is a Linux or Hardware question, I guess it's a bit of both, so...

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop. The hard drive does not work at all.

I finally made a LiveCD using Fedora 17 LXDE, and it runs fine.

I want to know if there's a way to access the hard drive from the Fedora LiveCD in order see the files on it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

naran13 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Access the Hard Drive from Fedora LiveCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Access the Hard Drive from Fedora LiveCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by naran13

Collapse -
I Answered My Own Question
by naran13 / December 29, 2012 12:24 PM PST

I finally got around to making a LiveUSB of Fedora 17.

I used it on another laptop that can boot from USB, and saw that the hard drive shows up under Places.

So, yes, the hard drive can be reached from live media, but only if it works!

Thanks Kees and wpgwpg. You guys pointed out it was the hard drive/BIOS, but I guess I had to learn it the hard way Happy

Thanks to everybody for the replies and suggestions.

Happy New Year!

Collapse -
Answer
Re: fedora
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 5:00 AM PST

If the hard drive doesn't work AT ALL, Fedora won't see it either. To see the files on it, it must be partitioned, the partition(s) should have a filesystem Fedora can read and the drive must be functional, both mechanically and electronically.

Kees

Collapse -
Hard Drive and File Manager
by naran13 / December 27, 2012 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Re: fedora

If I try a normal boot from the hard drive, it spins and makes a knocking sound, but I get primary hard drive not found error messages.

I'm new to Fedora, but I've tried using it's file manager. How do I know if a volume listed under "Places" is the hard drive? I've tried opening one volume labeled "597MB Volume" but get an error message reading "Error opening directory 'run/media/liveuser/disk': Permission denied." I don't know if this is part of Fedora's OS or what.

Collapse -
Re: disc
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 5:40 AM PST

597 MB (that's half a Gigabyte) doesn't seem like your hard disk. You don't tell how big that is, but let's say 100+ GB.
My guess: your laptop needs a new hard disk.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank You
by naran13 / December 27, 2012 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Re: disc

Thanks Kees.

Yes, I know I need a new hard drive, but since I have to wait for that, I thought I'd see what I can do.

I was guessing that since the hard drive's broken, maybe Fedora was seeing only a small part of it. The HD is 30GB. But thanks, I think I'm getting a better idea of what's going on now.

Collapse -
Answer
ALWAYS TRY OTHER DISTROS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 7:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Other Distros
by naran13 / December 28, 2012 3:39 AM PST

I have Ubuntu, but it was too large to burn to CD.

Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out right now.

Collapse -
you could try
by itsdigger / December 28, 2012 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Other Distros

Puppy Linux, it's a very small program and runs off of you're Ram but will do anything you need. I really like it..Digger

Collapse -
Ubuntu 12.04 will fit on a CD, DVD, or 2 GB flash drive
by wpgwpg / December 28, 2012 4:04 AM PST

I've downloaded Ubuntu desktop 12.04 and burned it to a CD, DVD, and 2 GB flash drive. On the CD it takes 715 MB, but it worked for me. I burned it with Nero. It takes about 5 min. to boot from a CD, 3 for a DVD, and just over 2 from a flash drive. Of course if your BIOS doesn't recognize the hard drive, no software will either.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Puppy Linux and Ubuntu 12.04
by naran13 / December 28, 2012 8:36 AM PST

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I checked out the Puppy Linux site, the OS is nice and little. DSL Linux is even smaller, but I don't know if it will run as a LiveCD, or automatically install.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Nero, just the default Windows Disc Image Burner, so it probably won't let me burn larger than 700MB.

I guess there's no getting around that hard drive!

Thanks guys.

Collapse -
you won't
by itsdigger / December 28, 2012 8:42 AM PST

be happy with DSL, you'll do just fine with a cd and puppy, it's really a small but powerful tool. Try It You'll Like It ...Digger p.s check out what Wikipedia says here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

Collapse -
Puppy Linux
by naran13 / December 29, 2012 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: you won't

I read the article on Wikipedia (thanks for the link).

Am I correct in understanding that I can add programs to Puppy Linux, even if it's just running from a LiveCD? That sounds like just what I need.

Collapse -
Yes you are correct but,
by itsdigger / December 29, 2012 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: Puppy Linux

what you do to save the changes that you have made in the program is explained here on a faq page http://www.puppylinux.com/faq.htm Puppy was made for your situation....Digger

Collapse -
Thank You!
by naran13 / December 30, 2012 2:55 AM PST

Thanks, Digger.

This sounds really useful, and takes care of my other problem, too.

I was looking for portable Linux apps since I can't access the hard drive, but now I don't have to.

Thanks again, and have a Happy New Year!

Collapse -
Happy New Year to You Too
by itsdigger / December 30, 2012 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You!

Enjoy the your new Puppy....Digger

Collapse -
didn't know you were working that thread
by itsdigger / December 30, 2012 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You!

but glad you found this one! Hey, there's a bunch of way's to fix problems out there , people just have to now that they can ask....Digger

Collapse -
should have said
by itsdigger / December 30, 2012 7:07 AM PST
"know" that's what I get for being illiterate...Digger Wink
Collapse -
Answer
ubcd
by deno21 / January 2, 2013 12:43 AM PST

Ultimate boot disk can find diagnose and clone or wipe the drive for and so much more download and burn the iso and restart with it in your CD/DVD drive and you will be amazed .

Collapse -
RE: ubcd
by naran13 / January 3, 2013 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: ubcd

Thank you for that suggestion.

Collapse -
have you had a chance
by itsdigger / January 3, 2013 8:15 PM PST
In reply to: RE: ubcd

to try Puppy?

Collapse -
Not Yet
by naran13 / January 4, 2013 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: have you had a chance

I haven't tried it yet.

I had one blank disc left, so I decided to try something called Plop Boot Manager, that runs in the CD, and then lets you boot from the USB, even if the BIOS won't boot from USB.

It was an interesting work-around; but now I have to go get more blank CDs.

I got a little overwhelmed by the variety of Puppy Linux versions there were, but I think Wary Puppy is the one I need.

Collapse -
I like
by itsdigger / January 4, 2013 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Not Yet
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.