Windows Legacy OS

Question

access authorization for 2nd level backup

by bongo1001 / March 14, 2013 5:24 PM PDT

i use simple sharing within my network.
there is a dedicated backup server, providing access to all computers in the network.
all the computers backup to this backup server using a file compare/copy tool.
so far, everything works fine...
to have an off-site backup, i would like to backup these data to an external disk.
unfortunately, this does not work. copy to this external disk starts, but after a few files, it locks, reporting an access violation.
how do i have to configure windows to allow the server to backup files, other computers have saved to the server?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: access authorization for 2nd level backup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: access authorization for 2nd level backup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: access
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 6:09 PM PDT

Strange. You should be able to copy all files you have read access to a folder on the external disk you have write access to. And that's both in Windows and in Linux (you didn't tell what OS that backup server has).

So maybe you don't have read access to all files. Try running the copy as administrator.

Kees

Collapse -
access authorization for 2nd level backup
by bongo1001 / March 14, 2013 6:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: access

all computers run win xp sp3.

all computers only have 1 user (same username) which is configured as administrator.

that's why i don't understand that this results in problems...

Collapse -
Re: access violation
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 7:01 PM PDT

Well, it does. I think it's the same issue as seen when accessing a copy of your 'own' My documents on an external disk after reinstalling XP. That gives an 'Access denied' error also and you need to TAKE OWNERSHIP (google that) to read them.

Did you try to open such a copied file (say, a .doc or .jpg) with the usual program on that backup machine? Did you get an access denied error?

I'd boot into a Linux disk on that backup machine (or even install a Linux version on a new partition on the hard disk) and use that to copy those files to your external. Ubuntu is free and easy to use for this purpose. And it allows access to all files (even the files in the System Volume Information folders that are inaccessible even for an XP administrator). An XP administrator only has limited capabilities, as you see.

You don't want to take ownership of those files, I think, because that might give troubles when you need use your backup.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
DANGER! all computers only have 1 user (same username) which
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2013 2:09 AM PDT

"all computers only have 1 user (same username) which is configured as administrator."

Without a spare administrator account you are set up to repeat a lesson others have learned over the years. If you did indeed do what you wrote here, when the issue of XP CORRUPT PROFILE strikes you find out why you needed that spare admin account.
Bob

Collapse -
It's XP.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 15, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

So if he knows about the secret, hidden administrator he can overcome even the corrupt profile on his only active unhidden administrator account. But if he doesn't he'll have to reinstall XP indeed. Luckily, he has a backup of his files.

Kees

Collapse -
There was this expert user.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2013 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: It's XP.

That did indeed get it down to one account. It was quite the feat and one can only guess why they did that.

My guess is they were still thinking about DOS days where it was simpler but the end result was they learned first hand the corrupt profile issue.

Guess what? He became an evangelist about spare admin accounts and backups.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.