Office & Productivity Software forum

Access 2007 Opens Database Read Only

by brakewell / September 27, 2012 9:56 PM PDT

Hello EverybodyI am hoping you can help me.
I have recently changed over to Windows 7 from XP. I have a lot of Access database files that were created in Access 2007 in the XP operating system. When I try to open the file in Win 7 Access 2007 it comes up with the following info.
"This database has been opened read-only. You can only change data in linked tables. To make changes, save a copy of the database. [Save As...]"

When I check the properties of the file the read only check-box is unchecked so I can't understand why it opens read only.
I decided to save the file with another name, when I did the resulting size of the file came to 616KB but the original file was larger at 2248KB.

Can anyone tell me what is happening here and is there anyway I can open the original files in Read/Write mode.Many Thanks in anticipation of your answers.Tony.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Access 2007 Opens Database Read Only
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Access 2007 Opens Database Read Only
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: read only
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 27, 2012 10:07 PM PDT

If the new database is in .ACCDB format in stead of .MDB format and you have all your data, I wouldn't mind that it's smaller. In fact, in Access XP the database also became smaller when you did a "compact and repair".

Collapse -
Same Problem
by docskidz / February 27, 2013 10:08 AM PST

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but more questions. I'm having the same problem. I've scoured every resource I can think of. My DB has always been on Win7, Access 2010. I've been writing it for about 6 months. Sporadically it opens as ReadOnly. It's on a single user PC (no network). Have you found any answers? Everything else works perfectly. I make sure all forms, reports, DAO connections, EVERYTHING, are all closed when exiting. There just doesn't seem to be any predictable pattern to it.

Collapse -
I don't know if this will help but I hope so.
by brakewell / February 28, 2013 6:15 PM PST
In reply to: Same Problem

Hi There I don't know if this will help but it sorted my problem out.
I had the same problem and every time not sporadically tho it opened read only, asking me to save it under a different name if I wanted to edit it. Although I did this for some files I found that altering the security in the properties tag worked for me.

The files although was created under Microsoft 2007 in XP and I was Opening them in Windows 7 the files were always on a separate drive and I had no problem editing them on my laptop so this should not of been a problem.
I might be teaching you to suck eggs as the saying goes but try this.

Right click on the file in question and then left click on properties then click on the security tab. You should then see all the Group or User names on in a square window.

Left click System user or user group "which is normally at the top in the window" so that the System is highlighted and then click on the advanced tab, You should then be in the Advanced Security Settings box with four tabs and the Permission tab already selected this should show you all your users and if they all have full control.

If not highlight the one in question and click the Edit permissions tab.
I understand that you can do this for a whole drive but I have not tried that.
Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.