Office & Productivity Software

Question

Access 03 Report Spacing Issue

by mm979351 / March 13, 2013 12:22 AM PDT

I have recently switched from Windows XP Professional to Windows 7 64 Bit at work. We use Microsoft Access 2003 still and I am having a bit of an issue when exporting a report to a Microsoft Word document (2003 as well). The spacing on the text fields goes haywire when I export using the new computer. I am able to switch back and forth to my XP machine and using the same database front end that computer has no problem exporting. All my reports look nice and everything is lined up as it should be. I'm out of things to try and can't figure out why switching to a newer OS would create such spacing issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Access 03 Report Spacing Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Access 03 Report Spacing Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This can be proper. For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 12:25 AM PDT

If I didn't install a printer driver and set it as the default, output from most of Office looks wonky.
Bob

Collapse -
??
by mm979351 / March 13, 2013 4:48 AM PDT

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be an answer to my problem. I am not printing anything, I'm just concerned with the spacing MS Access 03 outputs when you export a report to MS Word. It has changed since using the new OS on multiple computers and I need to fix it.

Collapse -
My comment is how it could be caused by ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

It's a common issue I encounter but I can understand folk that are looking for answers and not causes. In your case is it worth paying Microsoft support?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. A link about line spacing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 5:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Re: spacing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 5:19 AM PDT

Things to try:
1. Look at the documents at the other computer (document from A at computer B and the other way around). What's the result?
2. Delete (or rename) normal.dot and make the documents again to see if it's a styles issue.
3. The documents are .rtf files (or you can make them so). You can open those in Notepad and search for the differences.
4. A work-around: don't export to Word, but print to a pdf-file. This only fails if you need to edit the document.

Kees

Collapse -
!!
by mm979351 / March 14, 2013 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: spacing

Thanks for the suggestions!
I looked at the documents from each computer and when exported to a .rtf on the old computer it looks normal and on the new 7 machine the spacing is off on every text field.
I deleted the normal.dot file and this did not change anything.
I opened the file in other programs such as wordpad and openoffice and had the same result.
I could print to a pdf but I do often make edits once exported to the .doc. Our clients are also accustomed to seeing the information this way and I would not want to change this (they hate change).

It may be worth paying for the microsoft support, but I will try and find a free solution before I ask the boss for the CC.

Collapse -
Re: documents
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: !!

So the rtf files are different? Then it's an Access issue (why does the same version of Access with the same database - that's essential, of course, that it's a copy of the database, so you're sure that the program is the same, the data is the same and the report is the same - generate different rtf-files).

The file when opened in Word is wrong. But what you didn't tell: the print preview. Is it OK (what it should be, identical to the XP machine)? Or is it wrong (identical to the exported document if you open it in Word)?

Apart from the OS being different, what else is different between the 2 machines? Another default printer installed maybe?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: documents
by mm979351 / March 14, 2013 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: documents

The rtf files are different (only the spacing aspect of them). Other than the spacing all the same information is consistent.

The print preview is also spaced incorrectly, I have even printed it out to see how it would look and the spacing is off.

I've tried this from 3 different windows 7 machines (connected to the same network) and have come up with the same result. They all use the same default printer.

Collapse -
Re: different and same
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 4:43 AM PDT

It might be interesting to know WHAT exactly is different in the rtf-files. Open them in Notepad and have a look.

Do the Windows 7 and the XP machine have different default printers? They give different results and (with all else being the same, as you say: data, report, version of Access) that seems a possible explanation. Or do you know of other differences you didn't tell about?

What happens if you set the XP printer as a default on a Windows 7 machine? That's quite well possible via your LAN, I think.

Kees

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 5:39 AM PDT

I understand that printing to pdf is OK. A pdf-printer uses another printer driver (commonly a postscript-driver, that makes a postscript file, because the conversion of Adobe's postscript to Adobe's pdf is relatively easy and available as an open source solution).

That makes me think it's not an Access or a Windows issue, but an issue with the printer driver. Things to try then:
- experiment with different printerdrivers (install as a default printer and look at the print preview)
- experiment with different reports
- experiment with this same report in other versions of Access (2007, 2010, 2013). Does the same happen?
- armed with that knowledge contact the printer manufacturer. They might know the problem, they might have a later version of the driver that solves it or that might solve it.
- if no luck at all consider changing to a printer that has a driver that works correctly

Can you let us know the outcome of all these experiments and contacts?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.