Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

Accented letters not recognized by Outlook Express 6

by kopple / July 20, 2006 8:32 PM PDT

I receive emails in several European Languages, but my Outlook Express cannot read correctly the accented letters like

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accented letters not recognized by Outlook Express 6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accented letters not recognized by Outlook Express 6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: accented characters in OE
by Kees Bakker / July 20, 2006 9:49 PM PDT

Kopple,

That?s a very interesting problem, but it might be unsolvable without the cooperation of the senders.

To start with, however, the HP 9100 seems to be known as a calculator, and as a scanner, but not a as PC. The HP 9000 series are Unix midi-computers. But it doesn?t matter as long it?s a normal PC with Windows XP. It is, I hope (continue reading to see why).

Things that might be relevant:
- The format of the mail: plain text or html.
- The character set used by the sender?s machine
- The email-program used by the sender.
- The OS used by the sender
- Is the message sent in Unicode

Sorry to note, but mail is one of the very first Internet applications and dates from the time when the computers used only ASCII upper case (consider yourself lucky that lower case is supported universally by email!). The steps to 8-bit, different character sets and Unicode aren?t really made consistently all over the globe.

I?m using the Windows Western European character set (1252) also. If I sent a plain text message to myself, the headers (accessible via the properties of the mail) show:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409

In an html-mail this is:
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000D_01C6ACC5.5202FC60"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409
with the content of the Mime-part containing the html-message shown as
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1555" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>=E9</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
with the =E9 representing the full contents of my message (a single very lonely eacute)

I think it would be OK if it was an html-message, and the program the sender used was smart enough (Outlook Express obviously isn?t, which I find rather amazing by the way) to code it as é which is standard html for such a character.
Another option: sending in Unicode might be a solution, but OE doesn?t offer to do this regularly. However, it does if the message contains a euro-sign.

Every other way of doing it (such as sending plain text, or html with another character set and not using html-standards for this characters) might give problems, as you notice.
If the messages you receive are in plain text, it?s rather hopeless, I?m afraid. If they are in html, you could try check View>Coding automatic in IE, and/or select the character set used in the message (there?s a lot to choose from).

It seems likely that the mails you send containing characters like this aren?t readable by those receivers whose messages you can?t read yourself. This kind of communication problems tend to be two-way, I'm afraid.

If (1) the sender uses a different character set on his computer than you use, (2) the mail is in html, and (3) you?re both using OE6 on Windows XP SP2, then (and only then) it?s to be considered a Microsoft problem (they'll point to Thunderbird or Apple if they have any opportunity to do so). If the mail is in plain text, you and I would consider it a Microsoft problem also, but Microsoft probably will say that such is the case with plain text and nothing can be done about it and that's $35, thank you.

Maybe it's solvable with settings (as I suggested above), maybe a rather involved design error.
If ALL the conditions I mentioned in the previous paragraph are met, and you can?t find the settings to correct it, you could contact Microsoft tech help (not free, I?m afraid). They should be able to find out if the two of you can do anything to ?understand? each other with the current version of the program, and to tell you if it?s solved in IE7.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Language packs missing for Dutch, Hungarian,French,German
by kopple / July 30, 2006 5:30 AM PDT

The kind answer of Kees did not fix my problem. It looks like that I am missing the different language packs, in the Windows XP Home program installed in english by DELL Computers. THE QUESTION REMAINS: Where can I download and how to install the language packs in the languages I use.

THIS WAS MY ORIGINAL REQUEST FOR HELP:
I receive emails in English,French,Hungarian,German, Spanish and Dutch. Some of them have accents and accented letters in their alphabet like:

Collapse -
The answer may not be what you want to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2006 6:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
I wonder if you're right ...
by Kees Bakker / July 30, 2006 6:22 AM PDT

but, of course, I do hope so.

Your question was a VERY easy one for Google; the first hit seems exactly what you need: http://www.intel.com/training/support/faq/322_a_prtl.htm
Have a look.

Once you've determined what you need, contact your local Microsoft sales dept on how to buy it.

Kees

Collapse -
Outlook Express may be limited. Office however...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2006 6:29 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.