Speakeasy forum

ACA signups top 5,600,000

by Ziks511 / December 26, 2013 10:17 PM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ACA signups top 5,600,000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ACA signups top 5,600,000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by TONI H / December 26, 2013 11:53 PM PST

By your own link numbers, 'only' a little more than one million have 'signed up' for ACA..........ALL of the rest are now MEDICAID participants.

AND, enrollment/sign up DOESN'T equate to actually HAVING insurance if they haven't PAID a premium AND been accepted by the insurance company they think they signed up with.

Hell, even BO 'enrolled' last week (he had an aid actually do the enrollment for him)....and it was nothing more than a token gesture since he will always have HIS health insurance covered by the military plan.....and NONE of HIS private information was filled in like everyone else has to offer up on that extremely UNSECURE procedure, whether it's on the website or manually thru a 'navigator' that hasn't had to undergo any background checks.

You keep on painting that rosy picture, Rob.........it's full of worm holes. One million (and even that's iffy) enrolled (remember, enrollment was required before anyone could see what plans were being offered and for how much), probably around HALF of those actually offered up a payment.....that drops the number down to a 'mere' 500,000 actually with insurance they THINK they have by Jan 1 (and roughly half of THOSE don't actually HAVE the coverage they think they bought because the information was scrambled to the insurance companies in the exchanges and are manually being contacted one by one to make sure they were accepted.....so that brings the number on Obamacare down to around 250,000. NOW....compare THAT more realistic number to the number of people who have had their policies cancelled BECAUSE of Obamacare.......to the tune of OVER 6 MILLION, with more coming by employers in a short period of time, and that number even by the CBO's estimates will be around an additional 80 MILLION or more during 2014 (the election year)...........

And you see the REAL problem........ it's every nightmare coming true that Conservatives and Republicans have been saying for five years already. Not to mention, that the prices quoted on the website are lower than what the actual premium will be because it didn't include the 20+ new taxes that are included in Obamacare that take effect Jan 1.....AFTER the Dec 23/24 deadline hit for people to sign up.

Collapse -
Can't help but take notice
by TONI H / December 29, 2013 3:23 AM PST

after so many days after my post that no liberal has come back to the thread to dispute any of my numbers or information........

The "Teapublicans" got it right........what a hard pill to swallow.

Collapse -
Isn't obamacare great???
by Glenda. / December 29, 2013 3:30 AM PST

It puts on a ton of people that had no insurance, that we get to pay for and screws up people that worked and paid for insurance into losing what they were happy with and could afford! Can't wait to see what bho has in store for those of us on Medicare!

Collapse -
You mean besides the $700Billion
by TONI H / December 29, 2013 4:16 AM PST

it already took from Medicare for Obamacare?

Collapse -
(NT) It's BO and his "wealth redistribution" plan
by James Denison / December 29, 2013 7:05 AM PST
Collapse -
He can redistribute the money until his heart's content
by Steven Haninger / December 29, 2013 9:05 AM PST

but it's going to end up working its way into the same pockets as it did before...in those of the people who are smart, work hard or both.

Collapse -
RE: no liberal has come back to the thread to dispute any
by JP Bill / December 29, 2013 4:26 AM PST

no liberal has come back to the thread to dispute any of my numbers or information........

Just because people don't respond...doesn't mean they think you're right.

You don't respond to lots of my posts.....See what I mean.

Collapse -
I don't respond to most of your posts
by TONI H / December 29, 2013 5:51 AM PST

because you don't contribute anything.......you only babble nonsense.

Collapse -
you only babble nonsense.
by JP Bill / December 29, 2013 8:37 PM PST

That's another reason for them not to respond to YOUR posts.

Collapse -
Gobbledygook &
by James Denison / December 29, 2013 10:17 PM PST

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Lewis Carroll

Collapse -
Mad Hatter?...Tea Party?
by JP Bill / December 29, 2013 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Gobbledygook &

Are you sure your post wasn't meant for Toni?

Collapse -
How wonderful but don't forget that ACA signup isn't
by Steven Haninger / December 27, 2013 12:01 AM PST

like the "all volunteer army". It's a choice between mandatory enlistment or punishment. That so many waited until the bitter end to enroll speaks volumes as to how enthusiastic they were to join the fun.

Collapse -
RE: mandatory enlistment or punishment.
by JP Bill / December 27, 2013 3:19 AM PST
Collapse -
At least they
by TONI H / December 27, 2013 3:35 AM PST

are doing something worthwhile in order to have an income instead of standing in lines at Social Services to sign up for freebies....they are willing to pay their way with service and have respect for themselves and provide for their families with their sacrifice. And make no mistake, their service IS a sacrifice that could cost them their lives, but they are willing to do whatever it takes without the entitlement mentality.

Do you have a problem with that?

Collapse -
Some saw conscription as having no way out
by Steven Haninger / December 27, 2013 3:45 AM PST

You choose with which branch you want to go or we choose for you. Bottom line...you're packing your bags to leave.

Obamacare? Bottom line...you're paying for insurance coverage whether or not that coverage is for yourself.

Collapse -
I take it you had no problem with the draft (back then).....
by JP Bill / December 27, 2013 4:13 AM PST

making people do something/sign up..... (BECAUSE you were all in it together)

But today

When you're asked to pay a couple bucks extra to insure someone other than yourself...you object.

You're NOT all in it together.

I suppose when you buy Auto Insurance you have an accident every 3 years so you can collect some of the money that you've been paying into the fund that everyone else is taking from you.

Collapse -
(NT) I take it you're quick to make assumptions
by Steven Haninger / December 27, 2013 4:23 AM PST
Collapse -
So you had a problem with the draft...OR
by JP Bill / December 27, 2013 4:33 AM PST

You don't have an accident every 3 years?

The only assumptions I made in my post.

Collapse -
I made a simple comparison of two situations
by Steven Haninger / December 27, 2013 5:34 AM PST

which had similarities. For whatever the reasons, one of those two was eventually brought to an end. It has naught to do with my own feelings or opinion as such wasn't stated. You don't need to over-analyze it.

Collapse -
RE: For whatever the reasons,
by JP Bill / December 27, 2013 12:08 PM PST
For whatever the reasons, one of those two was eventually brought to an end.

Not totally?

However, the Selective Service System remains in place as a contingency plan; men between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register so that a draft can be readily resumed if needed

Stay tuned late next year and Steven will tell SE his real feelings on Obamacare......Maybe?
Collapse -
And maybe you too may late next year
by Steven Haninger / December 27, 2013 6:17 PM PST

actually express something thoughtful rather than just be critical of what other members say? Wink

Collapse -
RE: just be critical of what other members say?
by JP Bill / December 27, 2013 6:44 PM PST

You don't need to over-analyze it. Wink

Collapse -
Well...analysis is only required
by Steven Haninger / December 27, 2013 8:12 PM PST

when latent characteristics exist and not when they shout out loud. Wink

Collapse -
you make leaps of folly
by James Denison / December 27, 2013 9:27 AM PST

based upon your ignorant assumptions and then present them as facts. I for one objected since then till this day to a draft, at least of anyone under the age of 30. I see no sense in forcing the youngest and of strongest child bearing years into war until they've added their DNA as children back into our nation. They should have time to live some before being sent off to possibly die, and to continue our nation first with the next generation. Sometimes you truly sound idiotic.

Collapse -
RE: Sometimes you truly sound idiotic.
by JP Bill / December 27, 2013 12:09 PM PST

That's when YOU are supposed to stop reading, and definitely DON'T RESPOND.

Collapse -
And I am on the opposite end of that belief
by TONI H / December 27, 2013 7:08 PM PST

I believe every man and woman once they graduate from high school should be required to join one of the branches of the military for a minimum of two years.....it builds character, pride in self and country, discipline, structure, respect for self and others, and comraderie. It also gives them an education and/or training in various fields so they can be more prepared as responsible adults.

Collapse -
and it also saddles the military
by James Denison / December 27, 2013 10:08 PM PST

with a bunch of reluctant soldiers not committed to the cause, some with juvenile records for various unsavory traits, and helps to pull down morale, not build it.

Collapse -
Can't be in favor of that being mandatory
by Steven Haninger / December 27, 2013 10:22 PM PST

It might have value as an incentive for young folks still in the discernment stage of life...and there are plenty who probably are. I don't have an idea of how that could be funded but would prefer that it could be done with private money. With so many trades reportedly going wanting for help, it would seem industry might be interested in footing the bill if some tax advantage could be given. Young folks who completed a program that taught disciple, self respect, economic responsibility and a variety of skill sets could be given a leg up when the sponsoring companies did their hiring. It might no be a bad thing to give a trial run but I'd want government and the political process to be as far removed as possible.

Collapse -
Sounds like the end of the Carter years
by James Denison / December 27, 2013 3:48 AM PST

Same thing happened then too.

Collapse -
Actually the last resort
by TONI H / December 27, 2013 3:57 AM PST

for many jobless was to apply for and get on permanent Social Security Disability.......for mental duress and stress issues. Would you prefer more do that?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.