PC Hardware forum

ac power cable with type L pin???

by padyboy / December 6, 2012 6:02 AM PST

About 2.5 years ago I purchased a drive enclosure from a not-to-be-mentioned manufacturer. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the usb power cable. It is a 3.5" IDE/SATA device.
The enclosure end of the cable contains an L-shaped (as opposed to straight) pin.Their tech support claimed this was a generic product available in any computer parts store.
Although I have seen locally cables with their specs (12v, 2A or more, center pin positive), the pin is too large for this device. The cable I viewed online was 2.5mm internal, 5.5mm external. The manufaturer would not give me the dimensions of their power cale.
After several calls to their tech support, I found that they manufacture this cable themselves, but refuse to sell me one.
It appears that I must junk this $60 drive enclosure because the manufacturer will not sell me the power cable.
I think this is a planned ripoff by this cage manufacturer. I have searched this website under PC Hardware, and others, to no avail.
Does anybody know where I can get this power cable?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ac power cable with type L pin???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ac power cable with type L pin???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The enclosures today are closer to 20 bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 10:07 AM PST

If you can't wire up a 12V power to this then the cheap exit is another case.

Collapse -
Why do we have to guess?
by Willy / December 6, 2012 12:55 PM PST

Though I have an idea what you want or require, you provide no model# or even the name. Further, if you can provide the picture link, use a public photo website and then a link to it. A picture in this case is worth a 1k of words.

I gather you have a "right-angle" maybe left -angle cable if you flip it over. Wink A straight-in plug will do the same job unless there is some physical spacing issue here. enuf said...

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
by padyboy / December 7, 2012 3:29 AM PST

I have taken pics of the back of this enclosure, but am unsure of how to get them to you. Please explain. And thanx for your input.

Collapse -
Head to photobucket and put the pic there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: photo

And share the link to that pic.

However there is no reason to use that plug. Your old tech will just strip the wire and solder it to the other side.

Collapse -
by padyboy / December 7, 2012 5:07 AM PST

Is this wiring job feasible?
I still must find pin small enough to fit cage connection with required specs>

Collapse -
For me, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: feasable?

I own a hot solder iron, strippers, nippers and could be done with this in about 10 or so minutes. I don't want to upset you but it's 2 wires to get connected.

I wonder if folk are now unable to get basic stuff like this wired up. I only need to figure out which is the ground lead but that's a bit easy.

Collapse -
details are skimpy
by padyboy / December 7, 2012 5:04 AM PST

Obviously I am not permitted to mention the manufacturer.

-3.5" Black USB 2.0 to IDE SATA External Drive Enclosure
- ID (PN) UNI3510U2
-12V DC, at least 2A, center pin positive, pin (plug) type L
- pin jack is too small for typical straight power adapters
- pin dimensions not available when asked.

I have contacted manufacturer through chat room and was told I would have info emailed on Monday.

Perhaps I should attend Church on Sunday (I always record Football, for private viewing only).

Thanx again.

Collapse -
Survey says...
by Willy / December 7, 2012 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: details are skimpy

The manufacturer is not going to web police. I see no reason not to mention them, really I don't. If you check the forums here, vendors and manufacturers are mentioned all the time.

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/InfoSafe-35-External-eSATA-USB-20-IDE-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-with-OTB~UNI3510U2EB <-------this it?

Is yes... Then what item is missing or issue? http://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/UNI3510U2EB.E.jpg

If you repair this or want it to work period, you can make a "pigtail harness", basically you solder to the electrical points and connect that way. -OR- extend the int. connection via a pigtail in order to use typical AC adapter. It might be ugly but it works. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by padyboy / December 8, 2012 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Survey says...

The Part Number of my drive enclosure is UNI3510U2, which is probably the same as that which you mentioned.

The problem is that I have misplaced the AC power adapter. This adapter has an L shaped pin which is much smaller than the usual straight pin. Thus I am seeking a power adapter with this smaller pin.

I have found some websites which sell adapters with a"pin compatibility" set, one of which is sure to fit my drive enclosure.

But I am supposed to hear back from startech.com on Monday with possibile availability of the required adapter from them. Or at least the size of this smaller pin (probably 2.1 or 2.5 mm internal, 5.5mm external).

However, I never expect the best outcome in these cases. I can only hope and pray, I guess.

I do not know what a pigtail harness is, and am reluctant to go inside my drive enclosure wiyh a soldering iron.

I will tell what happens with StarTech support.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.