How To forum

? about Oppo BDP105 (with Anthem D2 processor)

by swishhoos / February 11, 2013 10:53 AM PST

I currently have an Anthem D2 processor with an Oppo BDP-83 blueray player, which I play my music CDs on. I'm considering upgrading my Oppo to the new BDP-103 or 105 and are getting varying opinions on the 2 Oppos.

Some people tell me that the DACs in my Anthem D2 processor are superior to the DACs in the Oppo 105, therefore, I would not gain any advantage in purchasing the BDP-105 over the 103, because I would be using my Anthem DACs anyway. Other people tell me that the Oppo BDP-105 DACs are better than those that are in my Anthem D2 and I would see a considerable audio improvement with the Oppo 105.

Question: Are the Anthem DACs superior to the BDP-105 DACs? And, if not, then I believe I'm just as well purchasing the Oppo BDP103, because it is my understanding the main difference in these two units is the audio quality.

Other equipment I'm using in my setup: Paradigm Signature 6 speakers, Bryston Amp & a Rotel Amp.

Any thoughts/input you can offer would be appreciated. If you need more information or wish to reply personally, you may e-mail me at

Thank you,
David Swisher
Martinsville, VA

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ? about Oppo BDP105 (with Anthem D2 processor)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ? about Oppo BDP105 (with Anthem D2 processor)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by Pawellang / February 16, 2013 6:41 AM PST

Hi David,
I am currently using my Anthem D2/P5 with Oppo 103 just for watching movies and listening to network files, but additionally I use Marantz UD9004 for playing CD/SACD.
If you do not have reference CD/SACD you should better buy Oppo 105, because you get better audio dac + XLR, which is superb for CD and SACD when connected with Anthem.
I hope I helped you a little with making up you mind Happy

Collapse -
Oppo BDP 95 with Anthem D2v
by universalremotehatr / March 16, 2013 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

I have Oppo BDP 95 with Anthem D2v and Anthem P5 amp, and Paradigm Signature speakers bought in July 2012.

Have had several problems.

Had to replace a Sig 6 tower speaker driver. Just went to Paradigm factory and exchanged driver for new one which was easy to change.

Can not (could never) get a signal through XLRs from Oppo to D2v, although RCAs work, no matter what I do so I have $800 XLRs siting there while cheap RCAs are employed. Oppo and Anthem tech support responsive but still no idea why although I think its a D2v issue.

Now my P5 keeps clicking on and off with either FL only on or all speakers, so far as I can tell as I have trouble hearing if rears are on. Other forums where similar problem discussed seem to indicate its relay switch. So I have to lug the 130 pound beast in for service; fortunately it is a mere half hour drive.

Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Oppo BDP 95 with Anthem D2v - New!
by Pawellang / March 16, 2013 7:05 PM PDT

Maybe you should check configuration menu.
My Marantz is connected with D2 using 2 xlrs (main speakers) and 3 rca (central + rear speakers). Then I connected D2 with P5 using 5 xlrs and it works.
Did you try to connect other player than your Oppo using xlrs to D2? This might tell you where is a problem.
I would also check Oppo setup, as the problem might be there as well.

Collapse -
Oppo Bdp 95 with D2v
by universalremotehatr / March 17, 2013 5:15 AM PDT

Thanks for your response.

I tried what you suggested, i.e., rca out of Oppo to D2 for centre and surounds and XLRs for Fronts but no dice.

The tech support guys at Oppo suggested using another XLR out source to isolate which component is causing the trouble but I do not have any other XLR out equipment and would need to buy or borrow something, which is not easy. All such equipment is expensive and fairly rare. So I was hoping someone might have had this exact problem and knows the cause and remedy.

All connections to P5 from D2v are XLRs. I do also have what seems to be a separate problem with P5 relay switch (i think) that makes speakers turn off and on every few minutes

Collapse -
Oppo Bdp 95 with D2v - New!
by Pawellang / March 17, 2013 5:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Oppo Bdp 95 with D2v

And does your oppo work correct when you connect it with 5 rca with D2?
Maybe the problem is that Oppo cannot mixed connection types and uses only xlrs for cd/sacd and rca for all formats. Try to connect only 2 Xlr and play some cd or sacd. If this is a problem, you can use optical connection for other formats. I am not sure, but it's worth to try.
Do you use trigger between your D2 and P5 to switch P5 on? If so please try to change trigger out port in D2, but when you do remember to switch on zones/sources for this port in setup menu.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.