The CNET Lounge

General discussion

ABC.COM not available in Europe

by eternity21 / May 7, 2006 9:10 AM PDT

I believe the reason that you can't watch the abc.com shows online outside of the US is because they have not shown the TV shows there yet. I know that some shows are a year behind over there in airing dates.

Tom I think a ninja would be better in getting those snakes on the plane. Their reflexes are better. But yes Pirates do have better sound effects.

Your podcast is always the first I listen to and look forward to. Keep up the good work.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ABC.COM not available in Europe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ABC.COM not available in Europe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you can view the shows outside the us
by xlx2ind / May 7, 2006 11:49 AM PDT

i'm pretty sure the reason is ABC need to sell the program to other coutries channels to make more money.

if you really want to view them just change your proxy settings so it looks like you now live inside the US.
(using a us anonymous proxy)
Same goes for online movie rentals.

Itunes needs a US credit card so this wont help you there.

I tested this and watched ABC from Australia
regards
Darren

Collapse -
Speaking of Australia...
by pufit_ / May 7, 2006 3:27 PM PDT

Isn't Channel 7 going to do something similar in the future, and put shows like Lost and Desperate Housewives on the net?

Collapse -
I thought 9 would also try this
by xlx2ind / May 7, 2006 9:51 PM PDT

Now that 7 and yahoo have joined together i'm sure it will happen soon. I would have though 9 would do it first with their msn partnership.

The big problem would be bandwith over here most accounts still have quotas.
Also we are several weeks behind the US and iTunes only sells movie clips.

Collapse -
Yeah, Channel 9 would do it too
by pufit_ / May 8, 2006 2:31 PM PDT

If Channel 7 does one thing, Channel 9 will do it as well. It's ***-for-tat, like Backyard Blitz and Ground Force, and also Today Tonight and A Current Affair! Lol!

Channel 9 will surely force us to watch ads. During the Logies, the affiliates were duped into airing a "National Nine News" promo, and they weren't happy.

For US members, our affiliates work differently. The affiliates take care of the advertising themselves 100%, the network has no input whatsoever into advertising, no such thing as a "national ads" that gets broadcast on the network, it's all done at a local level. But on the other hand, the network doesn't need to take into consideration the affiliates when putting content online, because the affiliates themselves are independent regarding advertising revenue.

One channel which would benefit heavily from this is Ten. With Australian Idol, Big Brother 6, and before, The Biggest Loser, they could've done extremely well with internet streaming.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you pay for movie clips off of ITunes?
by Dirty Pirate / May 8, 2006 3:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
not possible to watch shows outside the US on abc.com
by pirocapl / June 4, 2008 5:46 PM PDT

it is not possible to watch the shows on abc.com even if you're using a proxy server within the US. they have changed their technology and can easily spot you being outside the US! Sad darn it!

does anyone else have other ideas???

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.