PC Applications forum

General discussion

by dedlnr / April 5, 2010 12:01 PM PDT

I can't find anything on Abacast Distributed On Demand except from Abacast itself, which swears it's a wonderful product, really. But I don't know what it is or what it's for, and would rather hear from someone less subjective. Whatever you can supply would be appreciated. It's showing up in the taskbar and now says it's sleeping.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Abacast
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Abacast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do a Google enquiry
by Dick Humfrey / April 5, 2010 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Abacast
Collapse -
I have also done a Google search
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2010 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Abacast

using Dick's link, and I find this somewhat disturbing.

You say you don't know what it is or what it is for, but it seems to me that this is software you must have installed yourself. It looks like it is a 'plugin' of some sort, but details are sketchy.

This is what I found at the Abcast web site;

"What is The Abacast Plug-in?
The Abacast Plug-in is used for experiencing the growing number of online television stations, radio stations, and webcams streaming Abacast enabled streams."

That tells me nothing other than it is a plugin.

"The Abacast Server
Use the Abacast streaming server and plug-in to "stream" (broadcast) live audio and video from your server or PC to any size audience using the same Windows Media, aacPlus or SHOUTcast technology that Radio and TV networks use to reach millions of online listeners and viewers worldwide. Abacast enabled streams provide an easy and affordable way for you to become a serious Internet broadcaster. Within minutes you can go live online with the capacity to serve thousands of people simultaneously at a fraction of the cost of standard streaming technologies."

This seems to be the scary bit. First sentence appears to suggest that your server or PC is being used to stream live video or audio to 'millions of online listeners and viewers'. So, is video or audio content being transmitted to others via your server or PC? A bit like file sharing applications. However, may be I am not reading this right. May be this is a utility that allows you to stream, (send out), audio or video from your own web site or your own PC for others to listen to or view.

All of that from http://www.abacast.com/download/index.php

But then I saw this in on of their FAQs about the system try icon;

"The Abacast On-Demand Distributed Client is free of any spyware and will consume little-to-no system resources unless your PC is idle (if your screensaver enables itself, for example)! This technology will allow you to download video and audio clips at higher speeds and quality. We hope you enjoy this feature."

So, when your PC is idle this utility/software will download content at higher speeds. What content and why? What is that content used for?

That from http://support.abacast.com/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=71

Do you;

1] Use your PC to watch streaming video or listening to streaming audio? If so, does this come through some Abacast origin?

2] Do you have your own web site where visitors can watch or listen to streaming content?

If the answer to both is no, then perhaps you may want to consider whether this software remains installed on your computer.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Abacast clarification
by mystic22222 / September 4, 2011 5:17 AM PDT

I believe I can clear things up quite a bit. My technical experience goes back to the Bronze Age (the oldest disk drive I've ever maintained, repaired and brought back into service was a 50lb 3 foot diameter half inch thick oxide coated bronze/aluminum wagon wheel that looked exactly like a giant disk brake).
I also have grave concerns about personal and corporate security, but this isn't one of them.
Remember that everything that works "on the cloud" is based on the Client/Server model. That means that the Client (the user end) asks for information, and the Server (information provider end) provides it.
Of course, information does flow both ways, since the Client has to send information out to get the Server to respond, so it's always possible to pervert the provider/consumer relationship, but in the case of Abasoft we pretty well know what their motives are: they make money selling their Server to people who want to broadcast to the world. When you set up one or more Servers for this purpose, the only things you put on them is the Server and your Content. The Abacast Client is simply a protocol conversion filter that plugs into your browser and processes (decompresses and translates) the incoming downstream to your player. Abacast pays the expenses of developing this client (gives it to you free) because it enables the valuable Server transmitter they're selling.
I would add that the biggest threats to your security and privacy are the operating systems (Windows, Android, iOS but not Linux), and your browsers (Google, Bing, Yahoo but not Ixquick), because these not only track and record everything about you but make it all available, ostensibly to authorities (warrants no longer required) but also to anyone with intermediate computer skills and an inclination to dig. So if you're concerned at all about personal security, get yourself a Linux laptop, make Ixquick your default search, and keep your sensitive stuff strictly on an encrypted drive. For everything else, try to limit your exposure and just assume everything on your "public persona" is totally public, including where you've been with it, because basically, it is.

Collapse -
You too!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2011 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Abacast clarification

We had the GE 210 and the 3 foot high some 2+ foot diameter aluminum drum with the coating you noted had real TRACKS. Each track had it's one read write head and a separate erase head. Truly a marvel for the day.

Back then you didn't worry about someone stealing the drive or the computer as they weighed in at tons.

Collapse -
So, tell us again?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 4, 2011 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Abacast clarification

I read all that, and the 'clarification'.

But, tell us again, why would I want Abacast on my system? How does it benefit me?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.