TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

A/V Receiver Recommendation

by mkaddosch33 / July 24, 2008 3:50 AM PDT

I am having a hard time choosing a new A/V receiver. Mine is an old Yamaha which do not have any HDMI connections, etc. Using optical audio output for now, and single HDMI from PS3 to TV for the video.
I have a Sony PS3 and a Sony HDTV.
I am debating between these few receivers:

SONY STR-DA5300ES (great reviews on CNET.Should have lastest firmware. However not that popular with the a/v diehards?)
Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
ONKYO TX-NR905 (like the THX and HQV Reon VX. No GUI interface. Heats up easily???)
Denon AVR-3808CI (nice GUI. Reputation for making great receivers???)

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A/V Receiver Recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A/V Receiver Recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
nice selection
by jostenmeat / July 24, 2008 6:13 AM PDT

You are right that Denon has a great rep. But you pay for it. Its not really a coincidence that you are comparing Onkyo's best to Denon's midline. For Denon also makes 4308, 5308, the 09 series, let alone the separates.

I will simply presume that the only listed receiver with torroidal transformers is the Onkyo 905.

Bigger amps = more heat. Reon chips make a lot of heat.

If you like Denon, go for it. I would take the 905 if my speakers enjoyed more current. I think of Dynaudio, Totem (which I guess uses Dyn drivers a lot), or other speaker technologies, such as planars, electrstats, ribbons, etc or particular stuff that has either low minimal impedances, or crazy looking impedance curve, or simply just low sensitivity...

You'll probably be happy with any of them.

Collapse -
by bevillan / July 24, 2008 11:45 PM PDT

If I was going to spend that kind of money I'd go for pre/pro and amp separates. In all honesty, you don't need an uber fancy pre/pro...just make sure it has HDMI video passthrough so the video quality is not adversely affected if you plug HDMI video into your receiver before going to your TV.

I'd get a ~$500-600 receiver with pre-outs to serve as your pre/pro (make sure it decodes the latest HD audio codecs) and then something like the Emotiva XPA-5 200 watt/channel amp (if you have a 5.1 speaker set-up). So you could get an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver (4 HDMI inputs, I believe) and the XPA-5 amp for ~$1400-1500. The Emotiva amp will sound better than the amps in the receivers you listed above.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / July 25, 2008 9:05 AM PDT

Collapse -
by mkaddosch33 / July 26, 2008 9:44 AM PDT

Thank you to all who have responded so far with their recommendation and suggestions.

Collapse -
by ns387241 / July 26, 2008 10:39 AM PDT

Out of the selection, I would go with the Denon. I use Denons as test receivers when I compare loudspeakers. I do also like NAD as a brand, as they generally make some great stuff. They might be a bit on the expensive side last time I checked, but here's another brand you may find interesting: Rotel. Rotel is part of the B&W group and thus makes ll of their stuff in England. They have a strong reputation for making fantastic separates at great prices.

I am not a fan of Sony receivers: They run VERY hot, never good for an AV system. I have a hard enough time keeping my house cool in the summer as is, let alone the heat from AV components.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.