Tablets forum

Resolved Question

A tablet with WiDi?

by Delezynski / January 31, 2013 1:42 AM PST

Does any one know if there are any Windows 8 (not RT) tablets out there that will also do Intel Wireless Display (WiDi)?

I see the Acer W700 has a CPU that is WiDi capable, but it will NOT do WiDi.

Greg

Delezynski has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A tablet with WiDi?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A tablet with WiDi?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Delezynski

Collapse -
WiDi has bombed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: A tablet with WiDi?

I know those that promote or love it will disagree but due to built-in limitations on playing of certain content, which changed a while ago with WiDi 2.1.
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/intel-widi-2-1-adds-hdcp-and-blu-ray-streaming-2011056/

So that left all those early adopters with broke systems. The result of all this is low sales and low interest over all.

To solve the HD wireless connection I use one of those wireless HDMI solutions.
Good luck on your search.
Bob

Collapse -
Other than WiDi.....
by Delezynski / January 31, 2013 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: WiDi has bombed.

Bob,

Thanks for the come back!

Care to point me at "one of those wireless HDMI solutions." that you use? All of the reviews I have seen about them do not look so hot.

If I found one that worked well, I would go that way.

Greg

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Other than WiDi.....
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/philips-wireless-hd-net-connect-8

I picked this up since I could pop that in, power the transmitter with USB.

All the reviews are tainted with folk that, well I apologize, are expecting more than the product can deliver. That is I see folk read "good for 20 feet" then they stick a wall and hope it will go 40 feet. That will result in a bad review.

I'm guessing here you want that iPad screen over WiFi solution. Maybe that's out there.
Bob
Collapse -
THANKS!
by Delezynski / January 31, 2013 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

Bob,

Looks like a few of them have shown up since I last checked into it. That model is not available just now, but I think I have a few other ones on Amazon.

Not using an iPad, need to use a windows pad for other requirements, so wan it to work with that, and actually only from the couch to the TV..... Wink

Greg

Collapse -
I have other tablets.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: THANKS!

At home we have the usual Kindle Fire HD 7. I was going to use this on that but went with a HDMI cable instead. I used the usual miniHDMI to HDMI, coupler, then HDMI to HDMI for the last stretch. Overall it's 31 feet long and works great without much to do and under 20 bucks.

Bob

Collapse -
wireless HDMI solutions
by SuperSavingMom / April 9, 2013 4:56 PM PDT
In reply to: WiDi has bombed.

yep that does the trick more fage than fage,,, did you get it to work..

Collapse -
What is "fage"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

And yes wireless HDMI does work. Too many folk use it today and there are too many models that work so it's considered a good solution.

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung series 7 slate has WiDi and runs Windows 7 or 8
by pab24 / February 8, 2013 3:56 PM PST
In reply to: A tablet with WiDi?

Here's what I use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006KYY1AU/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1&qid=1360395638&sr=8-8

Samsung series 7 slate

I have windows 8 pro on it and the WiDi has some bugs in connecting sometimes, where it doesn't synch right on first connection and I have to disconnect, close the WiDi management program and the. Restart and reconnect. Then, if the tablet hits sleep mode the connection and software will need to be reset again as well.
I don't recall those issues when I used Windows 7, however. And it comes preloaded with Win7 Home Premium.

Otherwise, it is good for my uses, presentations in the office and streaming WatchESPN and movies to the TV at home.

The system has some limitations to note, primarily no built in SiM slot for cellular data hook ups (only a minor inconvenience to me, as I just tether my cell when needed, and WiFi is pretty obiquitious where I travel. Also, there is no pen slot on the device for the stylus which is just a hassle. Also, the battery life stated is obviously wrong (7 hours?!?! I wish). I end up with about 4.5 - 5 hours of just using word, onenote, email, some web surfing and some other non-intensive windows programs. I get about 3 for steady video streaming, say from Amazon or Netflix.

Otherwise, it's a solidly built system that comes in at about the same price point as a surface pro tablet with 128 GB SSD, and no WiDi. I'm happy with it for now.

Collapse -
windows 8 pro on it and the WiDi has some bugs in connecting
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 12:49 AM PST

That's not right. After decades of bringing products to the market with bugs, why should we keep such today? Take it back.
Bob

Collapse -
that's not right - WiDi bugs on Win8
by pab24 / February 9, 2013 4:08 AM PST

I hear you Bob, but my point was that it is a stable and usable system on a Windows 7 machine. The bugs only occurred when I upgraded the tablet to Windows 8 Pro, and as I recall, the upgrade assistant and the Intel website noted that there were issues using the platform on Windows 8 at the time. So it was my decision.

I like Windows 8 so I was willing to put up with the buggy WiDi driver in hopes that it gets resolved soon. Someone who bought the same machine and kept Windows 7 on it, is likely not to have my issues, as I never did when I had solely the Windows 7 Professional installed.

Collapse -
Shame you couldn't do a dual boot
by Asmodeus1971 / April 4, 2013 3:40 PM PDT

Would think with the 128 GB SSD you coud do a dual boot but I guess with it being an update you would hav to install W7 twice and upgrade just one partition. Is that possible?

Collapse -
Configuration Controlled Household Computer Communications
by bobweb / December 16, 2013 12:33 AM PST

WiDi tablet just another example of constantly evolving hardware and software design. It's not surprising that all the leading edge applications of new hardware and software experience growing pains. The only way to instill some long term reliability into this technology chaos if you want something that works without constant updates and troubleshooting sessions is to standardize on a proven technology amongst manufacturers and "lock-in" that hardware/ software design for many years. The new technology gurus can pursue they're dreams, but if you want something you can depend on, you need industry wide standardization. A good example was the earlier Bell Telephone system which provided reliable wired telephone connections nationwide.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.