Computer Help

General discussion

A Question About Hard Drive Recovery Services

by sample3 / August 15, 2007 2:22 AM PDT

I work as a network admin for a local school district here in Colorado and on the side I run my own computer repair business. Lately I've had several people approach me (both customers and fellow admins) about hard drive data recovery. I have never had to send out a hard drive to recover data (I've always been able to do that in house with Trinity Rescue Kit and/or a hard drive to USB adapter) and I was wondering if anybody had any personal recommendations for companies that do data recovery for dead hard drives suffering from mechanical failures.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Question About Hard Drive Recovery Services
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Question About Hard Drive Recovery Services
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spinrite 6 is tops
by skycatcher / August 17, 2007 11:53 AM PDT

As long as you can actually get at the drive - and by that I mean, either get the BIOS to recognise it as a slave drive or by fitting it into a USB caddy (set to Cable Select), it's not too bad.

Collapse -
RE: Hard disk recovery
by martingreg3 / August 17, 2007 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Spinrite 6 is tops

I shall put Spinrite on my purchasing list. It sounds excellent. I still think changing the platters is a bit iffy, the track widths are very fine.

martingreg3@aol.com

Collapse -
Duff drive recovery
by martingreg3 / August 17, 2007 6:51 PM PDT

I am afraid that disks with mechanical failures are virtually unrecoverable. If the media has failed then you are going to damege your heads when the drive is spun up. If the spindle bearings have gone then the media and heads are going to be damaged. If you are fortunate enough to get to the drive before this happens, it is theoretically posible to fit the platters on a new shell, but as the alignment is critical I do not think it is practical.

If you have critical dta use a Mirror drive or 3 or 5 or more RAID system.

Thuis is the best advice I can give, if any body can do better please let me know.

martingreg3@aol.com

Collapse -
Data Recovery for mechanical problem
by brf50b / August 19, 2007 2:07 AM PDT

A friend sent her hard disk to Sales@ReStoringData.ca (at least this is the contact email address). Hard disk had a head issue and could not be read or recognized. Full data was recovered and burned to DVDs at a cost of $485 CDN.

Collapse -
RE: Data Recovery for mechanical problem
by sample3 / August 19, 2007 2:14 AM PDT

May I ask how long the turnaround time was?

Collapse -
Drive Savers
by TheBigWhiteWolf / August 21, 2007 7:47 AM PDT

We've used DriveSavers a couple of times, since the university I work for has an affiliation with them. We have had success a few times with getting data recovered. They will either put the data on a new HDD and/or burn it to CD/DVD. Turnaround time has usually been 2-3 weeks.

Then again, I have sent a drive or two to other locations, and I've been told that if there's a head crash, the data has basically returned to dust.

Plug the hard drive in and listen. If it sounds normal, it probably is normal. Try switching around the jumpers if possible. (You can put jumpers on laptop HDDs as well!)

Keep in mind that data recovery is usually EXPENSIVE, but sometimes, it's worth it. It's an expensive reminder to "BACK IT UP! TWICE!"

Collapse -
ESS Data Recovery
by usernamekevin / September 23, 2007 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Drive Savers

The company I work for has had success with ESS Data Recovery. One of our sales guys needed his .pst file (Outlook) from the laptop he dropped and they recovered the entire drive for around $950. The whole process took about 4 days.

I'd use them again if the situation came up.

Collapse -
Before sending your hard drive to a data recovery company
by Data Recovery Guru / February 15, 2009 4:36 AM PST

You people should really do your research, these posts about ESS data recovery or drive savers or any other companies. All of these companies have a reputation in the data recovery industry, and you should really do your research by reading past customer's reviews on their data recovery experiences. There is a website that does this called www. datarecoverycomparison.com and it is a free review site that allows you to see the data recovery company's reputation from their past consumers. Also it is independently run and apparently the web designer does independent investigations on different data recovery companies once they gain enough bad customer reviews. I would suggest using this site as it helped me choose the right data recovery company to recover my data.

Collapse -
datarecoverycomparison.com
by systemstec / February 23, 2009 7:33 AM PST

Make sure that you check this site our thoroughly before you believe a word that is said about any of the companies listed there. It appears that it is owned by a data recovery company that is just engaging in liable and defamatory statements so that honest hard working data recovery companies look bad. If you look at this website you will notice that there is no real way to contact them if your company has been wrongly bashed by one of their so called reviewers. The site is a total scam and has been created for the soul purpose of bashing other data recovery companies. Like everything on the internet doesn?t believe everything you read.

If you really want to know if a company is capable and legitimate ask some questions about your data recovery situation. If they know what they are doing they will be able to give you information about what is wrong with you drive, how much it will cost to recover the data, and how long it will take to get your data back to you.

Collapse -
Data Recovery Comparison
by Data Recovery Guru / February 24, 2009 9:29 AM PST

Obviously you have not checked the website at all, the reviews that are on datarecoverycomparison.com are geniune reviews from customers, and the admins on the website actually screen reviews from past data. Also they are posting their own investigation on a company that got many complaints within the next day, you must obviously work for one of the companies that has bad reviews as your claims are both false and ignorant. Regardless, I would still recommend this site if you are thinking about going with any company whatsoever, as you can read what other data recovery consumers have to say about their experience with these data recovery companies. Also if you notice they are not recommending any companies, so how can they possibly be a data recovery company that is engaging in liable and defamatory statements? Systemstec you are a biased ignorant poster, please feel free to leave these forums and retract your prior statement.

Collapse -
One more thing
by Data Recovery Guru / February 24, 2009 9:38 AM PST

Obviously systemstec is rather illiterate too, as every review that is written on that website has a report abuse button, that allows you to explain why you believe the post was abuse, along with a CONTACT US button at the top of the page, so obviously your statements are false and possibly fraudulent.

Collapse -
Re: A Question About Hard Drive Recovery Services
by HDRecovery / March 31, 2009 6:21 AM PDT

We are a IT Consulting firm and we use Data Analyzers http://www.datanalyzers.com for our recovery needs. They have a pretty good partner program and the prices for the recovery are decent.

Collapse -
hard drive recovery
by davisonwarr / November 18, 2009 5:32 PM PST

I am a programmer and due to power fluctuations , my hard disk gone crashed. A great tension for me since all the files became inaccessible. I didn't know much about data recovery software so googled and found so many names . I found the Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software in the top and tried it. I think u should also search for this type of online support.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.