Computer Help

General discussion

a program to remove multiple files entries from registry ?

by gklein / April 2, 2006 9:10 AM PDT

WinXP Pro; Pent-4; 512RAM;
Is there an easier way to remove all files from the registry of deleted programs like AOL, Norton, McAfee (and others) without doing it one at a time from the registy = find file; next; find file; next; etc. ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: a program to remove multiple files entries from registry ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: a program to remove multiple files entries from registry ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I used
by PudgyOne / April 2, 2006 9:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
I second RegCleaner
by Scott Simontis / April 2, 2006 10:38 AM PDT

RegCleaner is a great program. However, whenever working with the registry, always back it up before making changes. If something goes wrong, you don't want to end up having to restore Windows and possibly lose data.

Collapse -
thanks PudgyOne and Scott - but -
by gklein / April 2, 2006 11:00 AM PDT

I find RegCleaner and Easy Cleaner do not really remove all the many entries if you go to regedit, Find and search for Norton or AOL or other programs you think are removed.
I am amazed at the many multiple entries left even though the registy cleaning programs indicate they remove many.
Suggest you go into regedit and search for some program files you think are cleaned out.

Collapse -
Removing registry values
by PudgyOne / April 2, 2006 5:20 PM PDT

Removing registry values can be a tricky thing.

Say you wanted to remove AOL from the registry.

You removed all the AOL programs using add/remove programs and restarted your computer. You used the search feature and removed any other files that had AOL in them. Then checked the regisrty and used Reg Cleanr to remove it from the registry, I would consider it to be fairly safe. Did you also remove ViewPoint? That program is installed when you install AOL using a disk.

Norton, however, is a different story.

Norton puts many thing in your computer and registry. When removing I would use the CD (if you have it) and uninstall the program that way. If you do NOT have the disk use the control panel and add/remove programs. Restart your computer.

Now for the tricky part. To fully uninstall Norton you have to go here

http://www.symantec.com/search/search.html

And type in the search box

Removing Norton System Works 2005 or what ever product you are trying to rmeove. The will give you instructions on how to fully remove their product.

When you are working with the registry, please sit down and take your time. No distractions and you should be ok, but please remember to follow the instructions on how to backup your registry. You may not do it right the first time, I didn't and had to do it a second time.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
thanks for trying but not really helpful because -
by gklein / April 2, 2006 11:13 PM PDT

I know how to remove files from the registry.
It doesn't sound like after removing AOL or Norton that you have opened regedit and done a search for AOL or Norton.
You would be amazed how many many entries there are that add/remove or uninstall or a registry cleaner did not remove.
I was hoping for a program other than the typical registry cleaners, that would do one search, collect all the files you search for, and remove them all at once. Instead of going to the registry (by regedit) and searching for a file and removing one at a time, then the next, then the next, etc.

Collapse -
Gene, You're Correct..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 3, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

The problem with automatic registry cleaners is they tend to find only those entries which are determined to be "safe" for removal. That doesn't mean they will detect ALL "orphaned" entries and it doesn't mean the ones they DO detect will actually be safe to remove. As you know, even the "good" registry cleaners can occasionally delete the wrong thing.

That's why many programs, such as Norton and McAfee, have manual removal instructions which include registry key deletion. Because I've uninstalled so many versions of McAfee many times, I've accumulated most of the manual uninstall instructions for most McAfee Virus Scan products. Some programs such as Norton and McAfee actually have a special registry removal "tool" which deletes most of the registry remnants. In my opinion, although I use registry cleaners on occasion, if you really want to clean out the junk of a specific program, you'll want to research the specific program and find it's manual uninstall instructions. It's safer and more thorough.

AOL is really tough to clean out and even AOL doesn't provide great manual clean up instructions but if you check the net or these forums, you'll find quite a few posts about it. AOL is a different beast entirely.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif - yes - AOL is a different beast entirely
by gklein / April 3, 2006 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Gene, You're Correct..

good to know these "orhpan" files can be really difficult remove totally.
And I find if they are not totally removed, sometimes notices will pop-up later for "errors" or Needs updating" or "missing file" etc.
Thanks again for your acknowledgement.
Gene

Collapse -
A tool worth noting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2006 1:27 AM PDT

JV16 (google it please) has a registry seach feature and if you are toasting Symantec, you search for that and then can select all and delete them in just a few clicks.

Not freeware, but a nice power tool.

Bob

Collapse -
Hi Bob - found an old version of JV16 that works GREAT -
by gklein / April 3, 2006 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: A tool worth noting.

Thanks so much for the info.
This older free version is doing just exactly what I've been looking for. That is, to search for "all" of a file name and "remove - all" at one time.
This is great.
Have a good day.
Gene
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=jv16

Collapse -
I have been trying to delete more than one....
by geriann19 / January 21, 2011 4:40 AM PST

Hi Gene...
I have been trying to delete more than one at a time as well. I know how to do it in registry editor, but you can only do one at a time.

What version did you download that you say is working.

Thank you. Now maybe when I go to clean it up... I wont want to pull my hair out and spend most of the day on it.

:o) Geri-Ann

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.