Computer Help forum

General discussion

A process mysqld.exe is using 70% cpu usage how do I stop it

by xbsims / April 26, 2009 11:45 AM PDT

Hi, my dad has a new Dell Inspiron 518 Desktop running vista 64, and is running very slow. I ran task manager and did not see an issue. but when I reviewed resource monitor it showed Mysqld.exe running most of the CPU usage averaging 70%. I cannot find it on the computer by running an advanced search(showing all system and hidden files). Can any one give me an idea of how to stop this process? any help would be appreciated. I don't even know what this does, very little info out there on this other then it might be some type of database a program would use.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A process mysqld.exe is using 70% cpu usage how do I stop it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A process mysqld.exe is using 70% cpu usage how do I stop it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: mysqld.exe
by C_Jones / April 26, 2009 2:58 PM PDT

If you want to turn it off once:
Task Mangager > find Mysqld.exe > right click it > End Process

If you want to turn it off for good (meaning it won't run when you start the computer):
Start > Run > msconfig > Startup > find it in the list > uncheck it > click OK > (may have to restart)

I recommend doing the second one especially if you aren't using it and if its that much of a hassle.

Collapse -
will look into
by xbsims / April 26, 2009 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: mysqld.exe

I will look into this, I post how it works out.
Cnet had a similar post on there weekly forum discussion. svchost that a person was having a similar issue. This made me think of using similar tack tics to resolve his issue.
My father called Dell on this since it was a new computer. but they only wanted to send him to a special software tech that would charge for their services. This was his third dell but I believe that left a bad taste in his mouth with how Dell supports there customers in this instance.

Collapse -
mysqld.exe removing permanently
by chethas / August 22, 2012 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: mysqld.exe

once u end the process by either way, shut down the system. restart system and go to c:\ path. delete the xampp folder. if it doesnot get deleted, end process again and restart system. and try again to delete xampp folder. It should work. This is the permanent solution. it really ate my 8 hours.F***.

Thanks guys i really got help from this thread. Thank you again.

Collapse -
MySQL is an open source database manager...
by Paul C / April 26, 2009 6:32 PM PDT

...usually associated with various open source web server programs; see http://www.file.net/process/mysqld.exe.html for details. On that page, it also states that:

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as mysqld.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder.

Now, I admit that I don't know much about 64-bit Windows, but fortunately, I do know that what I'm about to suggest will work. I recommend that you download, install and run Process Explorer from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx. The program should ID exactly what program is using mysqld.exe and let you and your dad determine if it's something safe or unsafe, and if safe, whether or not you need it running.

Feel free to post back if you have any other questions.

Paul

Collapse -
Some what identified and stopped
by xbsims / April 27, 2009 10:22 AM PDT

I went into MSconfig and turned off a few items I thought might be associated with the file causing all the trouble. Once I noticed the file was not running I individually turn them back on until it reappeared The program is from a company singleclick systems, some file sync prgram. once we turned this off the CPU usage went away.I am still not sure what it does but for now it seems to be handled.

thanks for all the suggestions.

Collapse -
There you go!
by Paul C / April 27, 2009 7:01 PM PDT

Now just remember that if your dad ever finds he needs that program, he'll have to turn it back on.

And about turning things on or off: I should have mentioned this in my previous post, but the best way to do that is to turn off the service itself; MSCONFIG simply prevents it from loading at startup. To do that, click the Start button and in the search field, type "services.msc" (no quotes) and press enter. In the popup window, right-click the service you want to change and select Properties. Then under Startup Type, select Disabled and click Apply.

Paul

Collapse -
Don't know which service to disable
by kanajune / December 16, 2012 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: There you go!

I ran services.msc but the resulting list does not have anything I can relate to mysqld.exe or any reference to a singleclick company. What am I looking for again? I am on Vista on a Dell XPS laptop. I found some strange things like: stllssvr and hpqcxs08 but scared to wantonly disabling something I might need.

But, thanks......this is the first time I have got anywhere in trying to hunt down the cause of mysqld.exe stuffing my HD. Also, I have an almost full HD, but not from any files I have. Could this be part of the issue?

Collapse -
Re: mysqd.exe
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 2:44 AM PST

With me, the service that runs mysqld.exe is called Mysql55 (short for version 5.5). But it isn't running, since I only need it occasionally and then I start it.

Kees

Collapse -
Still no file I can identify as the problem
by kanajune / December 21, 2012 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Re: mysqd.exe

I ran msconfig and can't find anything resembling mysqld nor anything from a company Singleclick. This is really getting to be a mystery. Every time I reboot, mysqld.exe runs and clogs my CPU, but leaves no trace that I can find.

Also, my HD is really full but should not be.....not much on it to account for that. I have 379G used with 73G free.

Help!

Collapse -
Are you xbsims with the issue in this discussion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 11:57 PM PST

Jumping into a discussion about mysql where your issue is not that may not get the best of help.

mysql can fill a hdd if folk don't know what it is. I use MYSQL to log information in my apps and provide tools to examing and clear the database.

You write you don't want to delete what you are using but what are you using? Some folk don't know.

A full HDD is very common. There are tools to find out where the space is being used. Kees has often noted TREESIZE and I use that plus looking for files created or changed in the past week or the time period the space was consumed.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.