PC Applications forum

General discussion

A PDF to Word Converter?

by BML / March 17, 2009 1:58 AM PDT

Is there a PDF to Word Converter that actually works?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A PDF to Word Converter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A PDF to Word Converter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2009 2:09 AM PDT

If you look at a PDF you see that there is no "Word" type indications that this is paragraph or just a series of one line paragraphs.

So even in a simple PDF, there can be no converter that gets you the source Word document that created said PDF.

Having said that, there are converters but none would meet any one's expectations.

-> Can you reveal why one would need such? I mean the reason I issue a PDF is to put a stumbling block to those that may want to edit or use my content without asking.

Collapse -
PDF to Word converter.
by BML / March 17, 2009 2:23 AM PDT

Yes, I have a 300 page typewritten document that I want to edit and I thought that to scan it using OCR would take to long so I used PDF. I note that there are a host of applications on the Web that claimed to be able to convert from PDF to Word but I tried a few of the "Free Trials" and found the lacking.

Collapse -
OCR even at best has...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2009 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: PDF to Word converter.

About 1 error a page. And you run into that issue with paragraphs too.

Why not just farm it out to a typist? 300 pages might be dollar a page or 300 bucks which would be all too easy to burn through with software and hardware.

And about scanning to PDF. That likely made a PDF with just a series of "pictures" that would need to run through an OCR so we're back to OCR again.

It wouldn't take long to transcibe it into Word if you just sat and typed. The only road block I see is that many people would not "just type" but start editing before they got it typed in.

Collapse -
by Phil Crase / March 17, 2009 9:56 PM PDT

The free translators are junk, you can buy PDF (PERSONAL DATA FILE) translation software. There are some free OCR downloads online that would likely do the trick. Most stand alone scanners have OCR software bundled on the load disk, all in ones (printer scanner copiers) generally do not, that is one reason I prefer a stand alone scanner.

Collapse -
PDF to Word Converter.
by BML / March 18, 2009 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: PDF

Yes, the free translators are junk. I don't think that I'm looking for PDF translation software. It's a PDF to Word conversion I'm after. I have OCR on my scanner so the question is still:
"Does a PDF to Word converter exist?"

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: PDF to Word Converter.

The problem is that you have criteria that isn't being met. And in your post above you wrote this -> "using OCR would take to long so I used PDF."

That's telling me you didn't OCR it but let it scan what are essentially photographs to the PDF.

There is no known PDF converter that will take that to Word unless it's going to shove the pictures of the pages into Word.

Collapse -
by taboma / March 23, 2009 3:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

Bob, when I have a PDF open with Acrobat V4, I highlight and copy all the text and paste it into a new word document.
With Adobe Acrobat V8 Reader?open the file and save the file as text only from the pull-down menu. Photos will have to be saved as individual screen shots. With a Mac I can isolate individual shots with Apple/Shift+4 and marquie the photo. Long way out is to scroll and take a screen shot Apple/Shift+3.
No one needs anything else to bring a PDF doc. into Word. It is built-in with the Acrobat Reader software program (text only).
I have been copying text from a PDF into Word for a few years now.

Bob, there is a software Extension program called "A Bag Full of Tricks" available for Adobe Acrobat that will allow you to edit any PDF document on a Mac.
And you thought you were safe with a PDF!?? :

Collapse -
In this case, the scans are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2009 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

Just pictures of the typed pages. Without the OCR performed every page looks to be a picture so what happens is every PDF converter fails.

Collapse -
PDF to editable document
by jmurphy05 / June 3, 2009 2:01 AM PDT

We have ABBYY Transformer 2.0 which is very useful in extracting text from a pdf. The formatting is essentially lost but it beats retyping the document. It's a lot of cutting & pasting but it works in our environment.

Collapse -
PDF to Word converter.
by BML / March 23, 2009 6:45 PM PDT

I have Adobe Reader 7 which I normally use and Acrobat Reader 5 which I tried but it opened the document in PDF format. You sat, "No one needs anything else to bring a PDF doc. into Word. It is built-in with the Acrobat Reader software program (text only)." But where is it?
You also say, "there is a software Extension program called "A Bag Full of Tricks" available for Adobe Acrobat that will allow you to edit any PDF document on a Mac."
Does it work on Windows?

Collapse -
by Techie_Master / March 23, 2009 8:42 PM PDT
Collapse -
I rarely comment about this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2009 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: try

But it fails horrible in this case. Read their post again and you see that this converter is not a contender.

Collapse -
Duff software
by BML / March 24, 2009 2:12 AM PDT

I tried the software and it did not work in that although it appeared to process a document/file the file then appeared showing a PDF type curser and it was not possible to open the document in Word.

Collapse -
It fails for the reasons we've discussed above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2009 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Duff software

As it stands and the method you wrote above you have a PDF with pictures of the typed pages. There is no converter today that will do this proper.

I see it, I have hopes you'll see why soon if not now.

Collapse -
PDF to Text - HTML to PDF Converter
by fchivu / August 8, 2009 4:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
A PDF to Word Converter?
by taboma / March 24, 2009 3:21 PM PDT

BML, If you open a PDF Doc there is an option to save the doc as text found under the File pull-down menu. (Acrobat Reader V-8 in my case on a Mac).
Save as text.
Open that text doc, copy all and paste into a new Word doc.

However, there may be a problem following the text if the paragraphs were not linked on a doc with multiple paragraph columns to begin with.
The Adobe Reader would read the text from left to right and you may have a nightmare on your hands.
If the PDF were single pages, say 8-1/2"x11", with all text in one column, you are golden and good to go.
I am not sure if ?A Bagful of Tricks? is available for the PC. Maybe some digging around will find it for you.

This is what you may be looking for. Inexpensive and will save you a ton of time.
I have not tried it out. Sounds like the bag full of tricks needed for a PC.
Not sure if it is worthwhile at all.

Pro Version:

-I hope you find this informative. Just trying to help out here.
I have not been on this Forum for ages. I saw a link from Bob Proffitt and followed it.

Collapse -
PDF to Word?
by BML / March 24, 2009 7:09 PM PDT

I followed your advice to open the PDF Doc and use the option to save the doc as text found under the File pull-down menu in my case Acrobat Reader 7.0 I saved as text which turned out to be the note pad. I opened that text doc and copied it and pasted it into a new Word doc.

The document is full of errors on every line such as two words stuck together. I may have a go at editing it. I'm not sure.

I looed at the software you mentioned but there did not appear to be a free trial and as every one I tried so far was a waste of time I think I will leave it but many thanks for your help.

Collapse -
PDF to Word?
by taboma / March 25, 2009 4:40 PM PDT
In reply to: PDF to Word?

BML, Glad you followed my tip on how to save a PDF file as text. It does work always.
Was the text in the PDF Doc file only one paragraph or more W/side by side in columns?
If the text was not properly formatted to begin with, the text saved will be a nightmare. Not sure why notepad. PC?
With Mac it is saved as a text file.
Yes, sometimes I have found the text kind of strung out also. (Clustering words together)
Just do some simple editing. Easy enough to do.
Beats the heck out of typing the darn thing over or using an OCR scan.
Even an OCR will be a pain at times with multiple columns, say for instance 4-columns.
Depends on your scanner software in order to handle it.

The software that I mentioned does not have a trial version, yet they have examples of how it works. Sounds similar to a Bag Full of Tricks for PDF on a Mac.
Place a telephone call and talk with them. Maybe their software will eliminate words strung together. I think the price is good for their software. Reg. or Pro.
Any port in the storm in order to cut down our time formatting with graphics.

God, do I hate typing!!! :

Collapse -
It is frustrating
by dkoooo / April 21, 2009 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: PDF to Word?

My solution is wonderful. But my reply were deleted!!

Collapse -
The problem...
by John.Wilkinson / April 21, 2009 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: It is frustrating

You posted the same suggestion/URL several times in a row to this (and another) thread, which triggers the automatic spam deletion. In (seven) other cases you revived 2- to 5-year-old threads to say variations of "google it" and once you copied-and-pasted the entire appendix of an eBook as your own response, violating its copyright. Submissions consisting of your own, original, helpful content, posted to recent threads without being spammed, stick around longer.

Collapse -
How can I share?
by dkoooo / April 21, 2009 6:12 PM PDT
In reply to: The problem...

If so, how can I share the link with others

Collapse -
Re: sharing
by Kees Bakker / April 21, 2009 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: How can I share?

Post 1 time only, in a relevant recent thread. And leave off the http:// part.

Collapse -
To dkoooo: post deleted.
by Kees Bakker / April 21, 2009 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: sharing

Didn't you read the last sentence of my above post? Now I had to delete your recommendation (again).

Collapse -
A PDF to Word Converter? Page 2
by BML / June 2, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

Hello BML,

A new posting has been made on the discussion you are tracking:

A PDF to Word Converter?

Please click the link below to be taken to the message:

of course..try this one--Tweak pdf to word 3.0.

I have received the following E-Mail but when I try to go to page 2 of the thread a message comes up saying the page can not be opened.

Thank you for participating in our community discussions at CNET.com. We'll keep you updated with periodic e-mails about new activity in your discussions.

To modify your subscriptions, login into the CNET forums, and click on the "My tracked discussions" link at the left of the navigation column in any of the forums:

Collapse -
It was a spam post...
by John.Wilkinson / June 3, 2009 1:44 AM PDT

The post in question was spam, which I deleted shortly after it was posted but not before the email notification was sent out. If you receive a 'message not found' error, that is generally the reason.

Collapse -
PDF to Word converter software
by jmurphy05 / April 27, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

I use ABBYY PDF Transformer 2.0. Most formatting is lost but all the text is retrievable.

Collapse -
YES,But you can try this!
by raneeq / June 1, 2009 12:09 PM PDT

Yes, without OCR technology, most of pdf to word converters are not as accurate as users' expectation. But it can save you time of typing all over again. You can try a newly released AnyBizSoft PDF to Word. It support conversion of encrypted pdf files and works smoothly.http://www.anypdftools.com/pdf-to-word.html#153

Collapse -
Adreamsoft PDF to Word Converter
by Lunana / July 21, 2009 12:29 PM PDT

Try Adreamsoft PDF to Word Converter.

Collapse -
free online pdf to word converter
by Alyson23 / August 25, 2009 7:06 PM PDT

hi, I use this free pdf to word doc converter. it's freeware and can convert your pdf to word files online. http://www.hellopdf.com

Collapse -
by Alaskanight / November 22, 2009 2:18 PM PST

Graphics converter supports the convertion of image files to PDF, such as JPG, PNG, GIF and so on. Of course, word can be also supported.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.