Laptops

General discussion

A New Laptop For Gaming !! ....??

by SharekhQ8 / February 25, 2013 4:19 AM PST

Are any of the following laptops good for gaming? know that my goal is to have the best I can get as a desktop replacement on my budget..
Non of the following laptops will be classified as a "Desktop Replacement", but I just want the best I can get for gaming..
Also know that almost 90% of my uses will be Gaming..
games mostly like:
Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight II, WoW maybe..
I want to be able to play them on high settings with minimal lag from settings/hardware..

1) HP ENVY dv6-7204ee //
15" HD BrightView LED-backlit (1366 x 768)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-3630QM
RAM: 6 GB DDR3 (Upgradeable to 16 GB DDR3 (2 DIMM))
Video Graphics/GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
1 TB SATA 5400 RPM HDD

I had another one, but for some reason, i didn't take a photo of it's name! xD

Thanks for any help you provide.. highly appreciated!!

Most importantly, if you guys can shed some light on GPUs and which ones can do which settings on which games, just to give me the ability to estimate them on my own for future references.. will be awesome!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A New Laptop For Gaming !! ....??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A New Laptop For Gaming !! ....??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a laptop that can play games.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 4:24 AM PST

But with the 630 GPU I don't think the gamer is that serious. It's like me taking my van to the drag strip. It will work, but it's not a dragster.

How to learn about laptop GPUs? Try this on google.

NOTEBOOKCHECK GT 630M

But why the i7 for gaming? It's a great choice but for games it seems the GPU matters. Here's some reading.
"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

Bob

Collapse -
You see...
by SharekhQ8 / February 26, 2013 1:32 AM PST

You see.. My options here in Kuwait are extremely limited, either spend ALOT for a Gaming Laptop like MSI, Razer Blade or AlienWare.. or try options like the ones I mentioned above.. these are the best non-gaming laptops for gaming..
I could spend a little over twice the amount of money for an actual Gaming Laptop by MSI..

Collapse -
I see.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: You see...

It's why gamers tend to go back to desktops. And when they go mobile they pay or they use a run of the mill laptop without the game creds.
Bob

Collapse -
my options have dramatically increased!!
by SharekhQ8 / February 27, 2013 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: I see.

My brother just gave me the go-ahead to clear some space in our room for a desktop, so I'm getting a GOOD Desktop for gaming..

If it's possible, I just need info from Forum people on which GPU to get, I don't want the very ver bestest GPU, but I want one that plays on GOOD settings comfortably, and that wouldn't make me worried over the settings..

I always play games on the absolute minimum settings, I don't want to anymore..

Collapse -
I like this list!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 1:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Helpful Article on Gaming laptops
by gazza0307 / March 2, 2013 12:21 AM PST

Hi, I came across an article on PCMAG regarding gaming laptops which I thought might be useful Called
<a href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2020688,00.asp">Top 10 Best Gaming Laptops</a>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.