Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

A link that ONLY opens in IE?

by pkpcnn / December 11, 2005 5:46 AM PST

I would like to know how to create a link that, when clicked will ONLY open in Internet Explorer and bring the user to the intended web page, if they are not viewing the site IE already.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A link that ONLY opens in IE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A link that ONLY opens in IE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You cannot force IE on anybody
by Andrea B. / December 11, 2005 7:33 PM PST

The best you could do is have the kind of warning pop up that certain IE created pages do when you're trying to view them in FireFox for example. But in order to view anything in IE one must have IE installed, and I don't know if there is a way to force an install on somebody, (I imaging there is, that's how we get all our spyware and viruses) but I would not suggest that - not exactly ethical.

Collapse -
Forgive Me!
by pkpcnn / December 11, 2005 11:49 PM PST

LOL! Now THAT is funny because Microsoft has somehow managed to force IE onto like, every computer ever made! Ha, yeah, but seriously I have to admit that I really do feel terrible in doing this sort of thing to anyone, but no matter what I do I just cannot seem to get all of my elements to display correctly in FireFox but belive me, I wish I could.

I know that Windows Media Player can be launched through a URL, does that have to do with MIME types, (mms?)?. And I figured if that was possible, then there might be a way to run any executable on the users machine as long as you knew the path, either to the .exe itself of the registry key location. But I guess not, oh well, I'll just use the sniff n' re-direct method for now, thanks for the input though.

Collapse -
The best that you can do
by PCuser / December 14, 2005 5:07 PM PST
In reply to: Forgive Me!

may be to have a message on your web page saying "Best viewed with IE."

Remember, though, that other browsers now have the capability to emulate IE.

Collapse -
There are certain pages that...
by Eskiegirl302 / December 15, 2005 3:19 PM PST
In reply to: Forgive Me!

Will render only in IE. Firefox makes an extension just for this purpose. It is a button that you click and IE will display that page. Most people have both browsers on their machines. So if they don't have the extension they can just use IE to display it.

Esk

Collapse -
How to force IE.
by maddogthegreat / December 14, 2005 8:32 PM PST

The only thing that you could be using that is mucked up by other browsers is ActiveX. If this is the case, have no fear, everyone with a brain has their ActiveX disabled in IE already.

Collapse -
RE: A link that ONLY opens in IE?
by jwlary / December 14, 2005 10:15 PM PST

Google for the "javascript navigator object", or for an example look at http://javascriptkit.com/javatutors/navigator.shtml and the section about detecting IE 5.5+. Based on the return value of navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") you can direct them to an IE enabled site or a page that tells them that IE 5.5+ is required.

Collapse -
A Sample Javascript
by wjvann / December 14, 2005 10:20 PM PST

If you use this be sure to include the "credits"

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JAVASCRIPT' TYPE='TEXT/JAVASCRIPT'>
<!--
/****************************************************
AUTHOR: WWW.CGISCRIPT.NET, LLC
URL: http://www.cgiscript.net
Use the code for FREE but leave this message.
Download your FREE CGI/Perl Scripts today!
( http://www.cgiscript.net/scripts.htm )
****************************************************/
if ((navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer") || (navigator.appName=="Netscape"))
{
if (navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer")
window.location = "browser_ie.htm";
else
window.location = "browser_ns.htm";
}
else
window.location = "browser_other.htm";
//--></Script>

Collapse -
Javascript
by drwho / December 15, 2005 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: A Sample Javascript

of course that only works in browsers that have JAVASCRIPT ENABLED. It is very simple (in Netscape) to disable javascript; just takes a couple clicks.

That is especially useful for sites that try to disable right-clicking. Once JS is turned off, the site can't catch & redirect the right-click, so the normal context menus operate instead. (:

Collapse -
May I suggest the KISS principle?
by Dombalah / December 14, 2005 10:51 PM PST

You got it. Keep it simple stupid and anyone will be able to see your web site correctly. Forget all the fancy bells and whistles and make it plain and simple. Unlike IE, Firefox and Mozilla doesn't like Front Page extensions and active-x. Try using a different web page editor. Also you have to remember more and more people are switching to alternative browsers for saftey reasons. I am afraid you may have to learn HTML in order to correct cross-platform errors. Test your page in each browser you think other people use to see that it displays correctly. If not go back and change it so that it does.
Then again, how about creating your web page in Mozilla's Composer, a close cousin to Firefox? That way I can guarantee it will work almost everywhere.

Collapse -
as BUGS BUNNY would say....
by drwho / December 15, 2005 3:14 AM PST

.... what a M A H R O O O N ! ! (LOL!)

R.I.P. Mel Blanc

Collapse -
None of this helps because...
by pkpcnn / December 15, 2005 4:27 AM PST

Okay, here's the situation: This is a personal website which is only used by one person. It's a dedication to someone very special to me. Unfortunately her computer skills are almost none and only after months of advocation of the Firefox browser she finally made the switch. Im coding the site mostly by hand so Frontpage and other html editors are not an issue. I am however using navigational menues that I built with OpenCube's Infinate Menu software and although I do know html, there's just no way to configure these to display properly with a Netscape/Mozilla browser. I am using a browser re-direct script which directs all browsers except IE to a page that says the site can only be viewed with IE. At this point, I'm sure she'll simply give up and move on because I really don't think she has the know-how, nor the patience to find and open IE and then try the site again. If the browser is re-directed I have a link that points her to Microsofts IE homepage, but I would really like that link to just open IE and go straight to the page. Right now I am looking into Microsofts HTA Application technology as a possible solution. Your thoughts?

Collapse -
OpenCube menus work in both Opera and FireFox
by rlively / December 15, 2005 9:28 AM PST
Collapse -
Differenly in that they are my own...
by pkpcnn / December 15, 2005 10:47 AM PST

Did I set my menues up differently then those on the OpenCube website? Um, well yes, I made my own menus, one of them is Horizontal, and the only problem with this one is that the "Fade" transition does not work in Firefox, for obvious reasons, and the other is a Verticle menu. This one is a little trickier in that it is sitting right smack in the middle of a larger, html menu, which also happens to be surrounded by ToolTip Javascripts. Not to mention the "Fade" transitions don't work here either, and this is critical to the overall theme of the site.

Collapse -
K.I.S.S.
by Andrea B. / December 15, 2005 6:55 PM PST

I think it would be a heck of a lot less trouble to just go with some other kind of menu.

I imagine there is a way to 'force' somebody's computer to just install IE - which is what needs to happen for your page to be viewed on any computer in IE - which would mean to run an executable WITHOUT requiring the ok from the owner - and since it's a website which means anybody could stumple on it -this is simply not ethical.

Besides, FireFox is world's better than IE - so why would you want to punish somenone like that? And not only would you have to force the install, you'd also have to make IE their default browser.

And another point - one thing that's expected from a good designer, is to design with cross browser compatiabilty in mind.

And by now I'm really curious - that must be one heck of an impressive menu - got a link? (I do have IE and FF installed with FF being default - I uses those 2 to check my pages as I'm building them to make sure they work in both these browsers).

Collapse -
Most websites
by PudgyOne / December 15, 2005 10:49 PM PST

Most websites use the 800 X 600 resolution or higher. It you are building this website in a different resolution, that may be a part of your problem.

There is a FREE html kit. The html kit has a function that will help you correct your errors. It can be downloaded at

http://www.download.com/HTML-Kit/3000-2048-4687625.html

You can install Mozilla Firefox and it can be downloaded at

http://www.mozilla.org/

and download Mozilla Firefox.

Go to here and get any plugins that you need.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html

Html Validator - Firefox Extension(This has a button that allows you to cleanup the page and then you can try pasting it to your webpage)(remember to keep a old copy of your coding)

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=249&application=firefox

Or you can go here and paste your URL there and correct your errors and see what the page looks like from there. Please remember to make a copy of your current page in case you want to switch back to the previous format.

http://validator.w3.org/

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks
by pkpcnn / December 16, 2005 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Most websites

Very informative, thank you, and everyone else who has lended their insight.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.