Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

A lightweight AV for a netbook, other than Avast?

by Sunsetlover / November 1, 2012 3:33 AM PDT

A few days ago I disabled Avast temporarily to install something, restarted computer, and since then Avast is blocking Chrome.

I can only run Chrome if I disable Avast. Tried unistalling/reinstalling both Avast and Chrome, no luck. Also tried tweaks like disabling sandbox.

IE 8 works fine btw, but I'd like to get back to Chrome.

So now it's time to try another AV. But it has to be light on resources as it's for a 1 GB netbook. Any suggestions?

Sunsetlover has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A lightweight AV for a netbook, other than Avast?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A lightweight AV for a netbook, other than Avast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Sunsetlover

Collapse -
A lightweight AV
by gtoguy / November 6, 2012 7:51 PM PST

I would fix your machine rather than go to another AV. You can try REVO uninstaller to make sure everything gets completely uninstalled. then reload Chrome, then download Avast. Maybe you could also restore to an earlier time. I don't know what is going on with your system, but I've never had to stop Avast temporarily except for running Combofix. And even then, it has always come back up fine.

Collapse -
Thanks, I ended up going with AVG...
by Sunsetlover / November 6, 2012 9:26 PM PST
In reply to: A lightweight AV

...and it's pretty light on resources, even though it loads 7 processes(!), it takes up no more than 40-50 MB of memory.

So far so good.

Collapse -
So far, it looks to be NOD32.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 3:37 AM PDT

When you say lightweight I have to guess something that doesn't tap the machine too hard and doesn't add all that other stuff like Identity Protection, Web browser alerts and more.

For that, Nod32 comes to mind.

it won't change the basic performance of a netbook to work like a laptop but every little bit helps.

Collapse -
Thanks Bob, forgot to say, FREE lightweight AV
by Sunsetlover / November 1, 2012 12:03 PM PDT

Nod32 gets some good marks here, but I'd rather stick with a free program.

Any thoughts on the free ZoneAlarm AV?

Collapse -
Not much I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 12:32 PM PDT

When it comes to free AV we use almost all of them across machines at the office and can't see any real difference. I'm sure someone will come out and state "this one is king" but for me, I won't do that as I roll the dice and the free ones all come out pretty equal.

Collapse -
Does this fit the bill (no pun intended)
by timmylish / November 2, 2012 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Not much I fear.

I use the free and light Microsoft Security Essentials. Works a treat.

Collapse -
Re: Free and Light
by mchainmchain / November 2, 2012 3:36 PM PDT

MSE may be free and may be light on system resources, but does it really provide the protection you need when you need it?

Not much good when certain malware infections can kill it dead: http://www.anti-malware-test.com/?q=node/194

Yes, I know the date is November 24, 2010, but more recent tests do not show a change in either protection or the use of a self-protection module by MSE.

Your choice to use a free antivirus program; Avast! Free does at least have a self-protection module to defend itself from malicious malware.

An inoperative antivirus offers no protection when it is killed and fails to work.

Collapse -
Thanks! Interesting analysis
by Sunsetlover / November 2, 2012 6:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Free and Light

Hey thanks! This is very interesting!

I wonder why NSS didn't test ZoneAlarm AV though.

Collapse -
(NT) I think it was called ZoneAlarm Security Suite back then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 2:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
by spawn05 / November 2, 2012 4:09 PM PDT

AVG is free and not too intrusive. Installs quick and has a cool widget on Wins 7.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.