Computer Help forum

Question

A highend all in one PC, or a desktop tower factor PC? Plz.

by A-G- / October 19, 2012 7:09 AM PDT

Hello, i'm an architect, my computer needs are to fulfill the ability to manage working on demanding softwares, like Autodesk 3ds Max, Autodesk Autocad Revit, Autodesk Autocad, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and other 3d modelling softwares like Cinema 4D.
I'm about to purchase a computer, but stuck in the dilemma between having a high end all in one with specs:

-3rd generation Intel Core i7-3770 Processor( 3.40GHz 1600MHz 8MB)
-NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB
-16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
-2TB 7200 rpm
-A Multi Touch 23.0" screen with integrated camera 0.3M 1920x1080.

And a normal Tower factor desktop PC:
with the flexibility to get higher specs:
like a an i7-3770K, AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB DDR5, 16 GB of Ram DDR3, and a 1TB harddrive with 64 MB cache.

One of the confusing things, is that i fear to buy the all in one, and later on, after a year or something, i want to upgrade a certain part in it, and i'll hit a wall then, because upgrading the All In One is limited, even the display adapter in this all in one is actually a lower power chip, it's actually made for Laptops; for an all in one, this is the highest display adapter i can find, but in comparison with desktop display adapters, it's still weak, and i can't really know is it okay or, and will i need this advantage of having a full desktop display adapter or that Nvidia 650M is pretty enough.

SO PLEASE, i need any opinion from people who any experience for such a dilemma, and i'll be super happy, if i found anyone who adopt the same computer uses as me, if he's a designer, architect, or 3d modeller, i would be happy if he or she shared their experience in choosing the right PC. THnx

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A highend all in one PC, or a desktop tower factor PC? Plz.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A highend all in one PC, or a desktop tower factor PC? Plz.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Nice enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2012 7:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thnx, but still unsettled for me.
by A-G- / October 19, 2012 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice enough.

It's not a laptop, i'm perplexed to either buy the all in one that i stated its specs above, or to build a PC from scratch, and based upon my work field, and my usage loads on computer, i'm confused between the maximum ability for upgrade in a Tower factor Desktop, or the limited upgrade-ability and the low power graphics card that is mainly for labtops line, it's a 650M, not just 650. SO i was trying to get any experience from anyone who came across such a dilemma before, or had experienced the two PCs, an all in one, or a desktop, and has a better opinion for me.
To note somethin: the specs of the all in one is probably one of the highest high end all in ones in market, so it's a matter of experience ,and a matter of which one is better for my work field, now, and after then, do architects or designers who went for that powerful computer purchase, came across such a dilemma, so what are their concluded opinions?, just that.

Collapse -
AHA. Allinone uses many laptop components to curb heat
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2012 8:11 AM PDT

And it will drop performance over the non-M in the same model.

Any reason to go with this allinone? Repairs run just as much as laptops (hint? high!!!)

Here I like my i7 laptop but it's a balance of CPU/GPU since I write code more than do graphics work.
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, there are some reasons.
by A-G- / October 19, 2012 8:45 AM PDT

I'm have been always using laptops, and probably that's my huge turn over towards a large desktop, so i really like the one unit packed hardware, no wire hassles, and very convenient for space saving, i really like my workspace to be comfortable and eye pleasant, and even to easily move.
Another reason which i describe as a luxurious one :D, is the all in one Touch Screen, it could be very helpful in adobe softwares, or even sketching up ideas, may be or may be not, that's why i asked for other experiences, but this Touch screen, with even the windows 8 coming soon, it's something that keep pulling you from beneath to choose it!.
But still if there are practical and really big advantages for the Full Tower desktop for me as an architect or Designer, i guess that's enough to pay off for that leaning towards a luxurious PC experience.

Collapse -
I mean to pay off enough to be better than the all in one.
by A-G- / October 19, 2012 8:48 AM PDT

But seriously the all in one specs are even very good, they are the reason that confuses me.

Collapse -
Didn't seem that great to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2012 10:26 AM PDT

The M version of the GPU is the tip off. And the out of warranty repairs run just as much as a laptop so it's kinda of a scary model. At least you know this going in.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
With the software ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 19, 2012 8:47 AM PDT

demands you have listed forget the all-in-one and go for the desktop/tower system with the components you like.

I would suggest you take a look at what Dell (and others) offer in a WORKSTATION such as the Dell Precision T3xxx through Dell Precision T7xxx workstations which are all designed for running the applications you mention.
http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/precision-desktops/product-compare

That above link lets you compare the models and the components you can select from. These Workstations also offer the Xeon processors and some offer multiple physical XEON processors with RAM up to 192 GB and hard drives capable of handling the data and temp files your listed applications tend to produce.

HP workstations are also nice:
http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/workstations/product-finder.html?jumpid=ex_r295_go_workstationfinder

Collapse -
By the Way this all in One i'm talking about is
by A-G- / October 19, 2012 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: With the software ...

By the way this All In One i'm talking about the Lenovo Ideacentre B540p, the highest model available!.

Collapse -
Yes, BUT ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 19, 2012 9:57 AM PDT

the all-in-one is NOT a workstation and is not designed to comfortably run the applications that you listed in your initial post.

Using the BEST all-in-one to run those apps would be like using a Volkswagen Beetle and a trailer it could pull to move your household cross country - it could be done but look at all the wasted time and effort and time is money.

Collapse -
Haha, yes.
by A-G- / October 19, 2012 5:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, BUT ...

Yes, "it could be done but look at all the wasted time and effort and time is money", is absolutely right.
Alright i'm taking that into consideration now, thank u Edward for replying.

Collapse -
I like expansion space/room, separate monitors to have max
by VAPCMD / October 21, 2012 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Haha, yes.

choice over the best display (vice the one that comes with the all-in-one), good system ventilation/cooling, and enough drive bays/slots for 2 CD/DVD burners and multiple hard drives...some dedicated just for backup. Adding to that....if a component dies or fails...I want to be able to open it up and replace the failed component....that's much tougher in an all-in-one. Another good thing to have is a good quality UPS to ensure you're not shut down with an unanticipated power outage.

All-in-ones, slim-lines and other small form factor PCs are great ideas at first thought .... just not super practical for all users in the long run.

Let us know how it turns out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
All-In-One versus Desktop
by baybreeze / October 20, 2012 3:44 AM PDT

If I were in your situation, I would definitely go with a desktop PC. Like others have said, it usually costs more to repair all-in-ones, and they are much harder to upgrade, I would get a desktop with a Core i7 quad-core processor, a bunch of RAM, a large hard drive (you can also buy a 2nd hard drive on your own for much cheaper and install it yourself, if you think you are able). Definitely also make sure it has a dedicated graphics card with it's own memory. In your situation, I think the more memory, the better.

About 3 months ago, I bought a Dell desktop with a core i7 quadcore, 12 gb RAM with a separate graphics card w/ 2 gb of it's own memory. It has a 1tb hard drive, it's wireless, bluetooth, has a blu-ray player, a bunch of ports, etc...and it was just a little over $1000.00 and that was with a 24 " monitor. It was on sale, plus I had a $400 off coupon code. So this was an amazing deal. I think you can find better deals on desktops as well, especially since their sales haven't been so good. As for touch, you can always just buy a touch screen monitor.

I am not a designer or in your field, however, my sister is. She just bought a new pc and went with a desktop b/c it was cheaper and she got alot more features for the price. I told her I can help fix some things if anything goes wrong, though she could probably do it on her own.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.