TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

A good way to keep snow off satellite?

by MrTechGuru93 / November 10, 2011 10:06 AM PST

Hello. I was wondering, Is there is a good way to keep snow from accumulating on a satellite dish?

Thanks in advance.

MrTechGuru93 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A good way to keep snow off satellite?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A good way to keep snow off satellite?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by MrTechGuru93

Collapse -
A snowy satelltte dish
by johncihs / November 11, 2011 8:41 PM PST

I have had satellite TV for years. To prevent snow and ice from accumulating on the dish, I spray the dish's surface with PAM. It does a very good job in keeping the the dish relatively clear. Plus it is easy to clear any snow or ice that may accumulate.

Collapse -
Thanks and a question about spraying the LNB...
by MrTechGuru93 / November 12, 2011 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: A snowy satelltte dish

Thank you, I will be trying this. One more thing though, do I need to spray the LNB to keep snow & ice off it, or do I leave it alone?

Collapse -
Spraying satellite dish with PAM
by johncihs / November 12, 2011 9:00 PM PST

I have never tried spraying the LMB with PAM. I can't recall snow accumulation on it to the point of effecting reception. I may have to give it a try this winter

Collapse -
Thanks!
by MrTechGuru93 / November 13, 2011 6:23 AM PST

Thanks for the advice! Cool

Collapse -
Spraying LNB?
by DouginSC / November 13, 2011 10:53 AM PST
Since the LNB does not point "up" into falling snow or ice it is likely to NOT need cleaning. Also, the LNB receives a focused beam from the satellite (bounced back from the parabolic dish) so spraying it might make that signal fuzzy (imagine spraying a chemical on your glasses). ...I am no expert here but it is something to consider.

One other thing: the dish and the LNBs must maintain critical alignment to the satellite in order to get a proper signal from all the satellites. ...so be gentle!

Actually, I hope someone here will respond who has used one of those strap-on dish heaters. ...on their dish, that is Happy For those of us who, like the thread starter, have an inaccessible dish up on the roof climbing up to clean the dish in a snowstorm is just not practical.
Collapse -
Answer
Easy- use a portable hand held snow/leaf blower
by Pepe7 / November 11, 2011 12:14 AM PST

Provided it's not frozen/stuck on the parabolic dish, that's how my friends in cold climates deal with their snowy predicaments on the rooftop dish ;).

Collapse -
Answer
Use a BB Gun
by runningfish09 / November 11, 2011 9:08 AM PST

When we used to have a Dish we would keep a small kids pump BB gun by the back door to shoot off the snow, it usually worked pretty well after you had the aim down (plus helped to keep the mice population down lol). We did not have the option of mounting it anywhere but on the second story roof due to trees and small property so this seemed the best solution. We would also use cooking spray at the start of winter and that would help for the first few snowfalls. The last option I will leave you with is there are some dish covers that are made specifically for this purpose, they will allow the signal through and keep the snow off. I have never used one so I can not attest to how well they work but it may be something to look into.

Collapse -
Good suggestion
by Dan Filice / November 11, 2011 2:25 PM PST
In reply to: Use a BB Gun

I was going to suggest tying the mother-in-law to the dish so her hot air would melt the snow Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.