Windows Vista

General discussion

A good some of us give Vista a good amount of thumbs down?

by rbooz / August 1, 2006 1:06 PM PDT

I have noticed that for a lot of features that many of us have discussed in this forum, most of these ultimately recieved a thumbs down approval. And I have to think about recent articles I read in "CIO" and "Info World" where it is stated that some newer versions of Linux are already more advanced then Vista with a much more sleek outlook. Although I can't agree or disagree on this for a lack of first hand experiance, I have to think, is Microsoft losing momentum, or are they not realy ready to give up XP?

Which in my opinion is not ready to die and be forgotten. And even though I am a die hard Windows fan I know Apple users many on this website say that Vista is still behind Mac OS X Tiger and Apple is ready to introduce the next version of Mac OS. Is Microsoft slowing down or are they not ready to let XP die? For all it's problems when it started out it is extremely liked and a very stable OS, when compared to other versions of Windows.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A good some of us give Vista a good amount of thumbs down?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A good some of us give Vista a good amount of thumbs down?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blah.. Blah.. Blah...
by terryparker / August 1, 2006 8:46 PM PDT

I am a Windows fan so I will try not to be biased.
Every Windows fan will say that Windows Vista/XP is the best operating system.
A Mac fan will tell you that Windows XP is well behind Mac OS X Tiger and EVEN Vista is behind Tiger.
A Linux fan will tell you that the latest releases of Linux are best.
So, I do not want to be biased, but, Windows Vista IS DEFENITLY more advanced than Tiger. Tiger is more advanced than XP. Those two are for sure. Windows Vista is also more advanced than Linux. The only question remains is whether Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is more advanced than Vista?!
All I can say to that, as I have only seen one alleged picture of Leopard, is that the Graphical interface of Vista is better than Leopard, as the Aero effect is very hard to match as its breath taking. I can't comment on the features, for that we will have to wait for the WWDC!!

Collapse -
You have never use Linux and yet...
by Art / August 2, 2006 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Blah.. Blah.. Blah...

"vista is DEFINITELY more advance then linux"; you may not be bias but you CERTAINLY leaned way over. hehe.

Collapse -
Windows VS Linux
by TheJeffski / August 3, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

Yes, Windows wins this one.

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux. I use Slax quite often. I love the fact that it's completely free, and has a free version of the office suite and other fine applications. Unfortunately, the third party world is geared toward windows. If there was a version of Linux that could run every game that I own, I would probably do away with Windows all together. I've tried Slax with Wine, which was supposed to run Windows applications, but that seemed a little buggy on a lot of the apps that I tried. Anyway, Linux is a great OS, but it needs full third party support before it can beat Windows.

Collapse -
I Havent Tried Linux yet But
by c3h899 / August 4, 2006 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows VS Linux

I think that the olny problem with windows vista beta 2 is the controll pannel features i hate what they did to the display settings menu,oththan that itis a great os and sould be realesed NOW!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Great OS should have great feature.
by Art / August 4, 2006 5:08 PM PDT

What does vista have that xp don't have?

Collapse -
It is just that they re formatted it
by c3h899 / May 15, 2007 12:11 PM PDT

simply, theygot rid of the Right-clic properties and made you choose different parts from the controll panel.

Collapse -
Not Ready For Release Quite Yet
by rbooz / August 5, 2006 7:44 AM PDT

I think by saying that Vista should be released now, you are getting slightly over excited. Vista is impressive especially the first time you even look at the desktop with Aero hard at work. However I still believe MS has some more bugs to squash in the shell first.

However I did agree with your statement about the Control Panel. It's been redesigned in a way that Microsoft would think it would be easier to navigate and use. And having to handle novice computer users everyday I can say that it is going to do the opposite, I believe it will confuse them more. What I don't like is all the tablet pc options, I feel that if you are one of the few who own a tablet that you can select to have these features installed during the main installation of the OS. Otherwise I don't think they should be there. I don't want tablet options on my laptop and certainly not on my desktop. This is also true for the tablet folder on the start menu, how will people with laptops and desktops find this useful?

I installed the 64 bit version and was curious to see the x86 control panel which contains nothing more then speech to text options. I do not know why or what the purpose of this is (anyone who know's I would be more then pleased to learn about this panel). And the networking support in the control panel is annoying. You have Net map and net center on top of the normal My Network Places, Network Mapping, and Connect To Window. And if you have a laptop that adds Wireless Networking, they should combine the features into one sub application.

Collapse -
Thank you, and it works great - Vista Home Premuim
by c3h899 / May 15, 2007 12:15 PM PDT

Yes you should be able to hide the tablet functions, but they try to reduce the number of versions the relese

Collapse -
Linux is free
by wogboi / August 7, 2006 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows VS Linux

Not everyone has $150 to spend on Windows XP and another $400 to spend on an Office Suit. This is where linux comes in. From my honest opinion using Xp and suSE 10.1 on a dual boot computer I prefer Xp because more games are made for it. The insalling of programs is also way better then a linux distro. SuSE 10.1 has seen major developments that i think will soon become one of the major operating systems. But for now until 2009-2010 windows will rule the desktop.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Open Office for Windows is free don't need 400.00
by Merl Priester / August 11, 2006 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Linux is free
Collapse -
Well...
by terryparker / August 3, 2006 2:15 AM PDT

I might have leant over but its also my opinion. And I have Linux SUSE 10.1 Live CD and sometimes use it to clean up stuff!!! So I might lean towards Vista but I am not biased!!!

Collapse -
Ok, since vista is more advance than tiger, xp, and linux...
by Art / August 4, 2006 4:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

What are some of vista's advance feature/s. I am just curious because I don't use XP and I have NO idea what vista is all about.

Collapse -
From the Horses Mouth
by Integrity / August 5, 2006 11:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Just as I thought.
by Art / August 6, 2006 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: From the Horses Mouth

I didn't think MS would be a technology leader company. I have seen all of these in some other times and some other places before.

Collapse -
Really
by Integrity / August 6, 2006 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Just as I thought.

All features --- COLLECTIVELY in 1 OS --- which one ?

Collapse -
Better lokk, more stable
by c3h899 / May 15, 2007 12:20 PM PDT

the big thing is the Aero interface, which makes the borders translucent. Direct-X 10, which is the equivelent to OpenGL. New apps and better stability.

NOTE: Power Users WILL HATE THE AUTO EXPLORER RESTART

Collapse -
The proff of the pudding is in the eating.
by jcrobso / August 6, 2006 1:48 AM PDT

"is that the Graphical interface of Vista is better than Leopard," M$ is good a showing us pretty pictures, BUT pretty pictures do not make a good operating system!!!!!
SO many of the realy good things about Vista/ Longhorn (A rose by any other name would still have thorns)arn't going to be there when it hits the streets! John

Collapse -
On Linux and UNIX systems
by welrdelr / August 9, 2006 9:49 AM PDT

UNIX systems are user driven. You have to remember this. The kernel is modified- if desired- by the user. Processes are determined by the user. UNIX systems can run on any machine, including the apple machines and PPC's. Windows cannot. UNIX systems can be multiuser at the same moment. This means you can have 5, 10, or hundreds of people using the same machine from remote locations. There are more developer tools in a UNIX environment. The source package is easoliy discarded and removal of a program requires a simple command line. Root and user processes are seperate from each other. The libraries are shared. Some UNIX releases- the BSD family- can access files on another partition and modify them if necessary. Windows cannot do this.

Here is a bsd trick: a jail. You can set up a virtual environment within the partition to run media and browser(or any) software. And, if you're using OpenBSD this is another level of security.

The UNIX user checks his/her processes and scans his/her own system for weaknesses. If you are unlucky to get a rootkit then don't worry. the user account can be eliminated then rebuilt.
the only drawback to UNIX systems is multimedia files..And there is a solution. Codeweavers has a product called crossover office and another for games. This isn't free. it costs money.

Oh. all UNIX/Linux isn't free, it's open source "free to modify"

Collapse -
advancement = bloat
by larryt2 / August 6, 2006 2:54 AM PDT

I begining to beleive that most advancements in operating systems and software overall has to do with bloated user interfaces . I don't need all the I candy and have shut down all the bloat and flashy stuff that come stock with windows XP . If this is all I have to look forward to if I update to vista . Than long live XP . If there are true advancements then let me buy them in an opperating system without all the fancy crap.

Collapse -
Partially true
by Integrity / August 7, 2006 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: advancement = bloat

Sometimes we must tolerate a little bad BLOAT of Glitter Candy Graphics in order to obtain productivity enhancements as indicated in my '' From the horses mouth '' post above.

Of course, if you can find all the other, or most of the other, productivity enhancements in another OS without the BLOAT --- Please inform the forum, or perhaps you can program your own for the rest of the world.

Chet

Collapse -
I Think . . .
by rbooz / August 6, 2006 5:04 AM PDT

I think most of us realize the issue is not whether we like Vista. But more of the question of how long do we have to get to like Vista. Because of the huge time gap between the release of XP and Vista (which is rumored to become even larger)I don't think we will have a choice in the matter. Vista will become Microsofts flagship OS. And based on the time gap between XP and Vista I don't even want to try to estimate the time until Vienna (blackcomb)becomes an alpha build.

So juding by XP and Vista, Vienna is way down the line, and I just don't see anyway that after all this time, work, and hype that MS has created over Vista that they are going to step back and say "well users aren't switching fromn XP to vista lets continue making Service packs for XP and concentrate less on Vista. Microsoft is going to make the transition and we are going to have to as well. So it's not if it's when.

Collapse -
Windows always wins
by burninwolf / August 8, 2006 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I Think . . .

to be honest i like useing windows because of the interface i have used mac a few times but couldnt get use to the set up it might be because i have used windows since windows 95 but windows is as the term would go "stupid capable" so anyone can use it (to a certain exstent) and if you havent noticed most it training courses use Windows xp. i can not say anything about linux because i have not use it but if anyone wants to give some key features of linux, mac and windows so easier to compare then maybe one of the OS will be proven the best

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.