PC Applications forum

General discussion

a good, free blog stat counter

by mittens / April 25, 2009 9:14 AM PDT

i see many stat counters out there, and of course they are all wonderful, wonderful.

I used an excellent one for a month, and was very pleased with the results, but (and I knew this going in) it was a trial run, with the option to pay per month (between 5.95 and 9.95, depending on the level of quality you wanted) and I simply could not justify paying perhaps 120 bucks a year to monitor a blog that gets maybe 60 hits a month...?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good stat-counter that they trust?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: a good, free blog stat counter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: a good, free blog stat counter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oops, where''d it go?
by mittens / May 31, 2009 11:44 PM PDT

someone (two someones in fact) just replied to my question, and now it seems they have disappeared...sigh...

they wanted to know what I had tried. I deliberately refrained, because the idea was for someone to tell me what THEY used. However.

I started out with Web Stat, a thirty day trial. I liked it immensely, and the tech suppport is excellent. However it costs anywhere from $5 to $9 a month, and for a site like mine that gets minimal traffic, that seemed a bit steeper than I would like to go.

My second choice was StatCounter, free, and after a few weeks I noticed I was having sign-in problems, and when I asked about it I was told "I must be doing something". Then I checked the forums about it, and it turns out they have had a trail of being hacked into, and frankly customer support isnt all that great. It also seemed complicated and with a steeper curve than the other...

I was merely wondering if anyone knew of a good free site. One of the posters mentioned one, but with the messages apparently gone, I can't remember what he said he used.

Collapse -
Google Analytics
by Kelevraco / June 29, 2009 9:12 PM PDT

The best one out there with out having to pay is Google. It keeps a pretty good eye on everything in your site.

Collapse -
by mittens / June 29, 2009 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Google Analytics

i keep looking at Google, and thinking about it--but I have this built in resistance to yet another Google process in my life *g*.
I suppose, though, if I have a google blog, it makes sense, doesnt it.

I'll give it a go. thank you.

Collapse -
I agree go with Google
by bpatton2382 / July 16, 2009 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: google

Yeah Google is the way to go <A HREF="http://www.janilink">:-)</A>

Collapse -
Reposted for viastain.
by Kees Bakker / October 26, 2009 8:05 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.