Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

A free PDF to Word Converter?

by PireKanon / February 24, 2010 3:22 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A free PDF to Word Converter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A free PDF to Word Converter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Keep your expectations in check. Most fail when...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2010 8:32 PM PST

I find many expect these to convert it back to a proper Word document. Time after time the failure is a simple one. The lines are not in their own paragraphs and other failures.

My suggestion is to NEVER PAY for this unless the demo was acceptable.

Also be sure to ASK THE AUTHOR of the document for the source and be sure you have rights to the document. In today's world I find many make grand assumptions that we have a right to copyrighted material.

Collapse -
pdf to word converter
by giovanni06 / February 26, 2010 11:48 PM PST

I use openoffice.org3.0, it is free and can open any office programs, calc, word, pps as well. I hope this helps!

Collapse -
But the question was ...
by Kees Bakker / February 26, 2010 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: pdf to word converter

a program to open a pdf-file and make it a Word file. OpenOffice doesn't do that, does it?

Collapse -
Converting PDF to Word
by trilldax42 / February 27, 2010 7:32 AM PST

If you have Microsoft Office, there is a fantastic way of creating editable text from PDFs. I have used many OCR programs and this method is the best I?ve found. Its accuracy is amazing. Formatting is not perfect, but its better than any I've used. I discovered it while using MS Office XP and 2003 so I?m not sure if it?s available in older versions of Office.

Click Start, Programs, and look for Microsoft Office Tools. Then select Microsoft Office Document Scanning. When the next window opens, you will need to specify your scanner and some other options. Go with the defaults if in doubt, but you will need to point it to your scanner. Let your scanner scan the pages for you. When the next window opens, click on ?Send to Word?. And voila! you have an editable text document.

Collapse -
PDF to Word
by corvanbaalen / February 27, 2010 10:51 AM PST

I use pdf2word v1.4.
It is freeware, and I downloaded it from Internet; I don't remember what site. But I'm sure you can find it with a search.
I tried it on a few pdf-docs, and it performed ok.

Collapse -
If youhave Open Office you can try this....
by iberg / February 28, 2010 9:03 PM PST

Just came across this the other day for OpenOffice:

It is a Sun PDF Import Extension by Sun Microsystems (free as far as I know) which allows you to edit PDF files. I have not tried it yet but it might give you the functionality you really need.

Collapse -
Another option
by iberg / February 28, 2010 9:07 PM PST

I forgot - you might also try:
which is an online document conversion site (free up to some size limit). Check it out.

Collapse -
Pdf to Word converter
by bigallan / February 28, 2010 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: Another option

Check out Cnet Free Downloads For "Nuance"
It does what it says on the tin, Ok

Collapse -
Ref:A free PDF to Word Converter?
by randy1001 / December 9, 2010 3:22 PM PST

You are saying something free but it looks something different.Ok, let me check it out after installation.
It'll be useful for me if the free one.Thanks.

Collapse -
Check here
by PKsteven / December 9, 2010 4:01 PM PST
Collapse -
PDFTiger free
by PKsteven / December 12, 2010 4:01 PM PST
In reply to: Check here
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.