Peripherals

General discussion

A - Floppy Disk green light stays on all the time.

by SoftGuitar / September 11, 2005 11:35 PM PDT

Lexmark X-83 printer

AMD K-6 450 Mhz processor
40 Gb Maxtor Harddrive
184 Mb PC 100 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 7000 video card
Creative SoundBlaster Audio card.
Plextor CDR/RW 40X read speed
CD ROM 48X
Compaq 17" CRT screen

I just changed mother boards, put in a new power supply and then found the A: Floppy drive light stays on all the time.

.... Any suggestions on what to do about this ?

Thanks,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A - Floppy Disk green light stays on all the time.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A - Floppy Disk green light stays on all the time.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recheck...
by jackintucson / September 12, 2005 3:01 AM PDT

all your cable connections. A constant green light after a motherboard change usually means the data cable isn't seated correctly.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Checked my cable connections very thoroughly
by SoftGuitar / September 12, 2005 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Recheck...

Jack,

I did check my connections very thoroughly and made sure they were secure and in place ...both on the floppy drive and the motherboard. I een changed the direction of the cable...all to no change.

Jesse

Collapse -
Could be...
by jackintucson / September 12, 2005 6:43 AM PDT

one of the wires in the connector was damaged. Try a new/different floppy cable and see what happens.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
floppy drive green light stays on all the time
by moses.ko / September 23, 2005 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Recheck...

Most of the time this is caused by plugging the floppy cable backward. Unplug the cable from the drive, flip the cable upside down and reconnect it.

Collapse -
Floppy Disk green light stays on all the time.
by jcrobso / September 14, 2005 6:39 AM PDT

This is a question from the A+ test!!!!!!
The answer is that the cable is reversed at one end.
The cable must be pluged in correctly at BOTH ends.
The red wire on the cable shows the pin 1 end of the connector and must be plugged in correctly on the MB and the drive. John

Collapse -
Cable reversed or bent pin...
by jparkhill / September 22, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

First, check for a bent pin in either end of the cable.

Hook up your floppy cable this way:

How to locate Pin 1.

On the motherboard connection, the red marker on the floppy cable will be facing the same direction as the red marker on the primary and secondary hard drive cables.

On the floppy, the red marker goes next to the power supply cable. You can always flip-flop one cable end to see if that turns off the green light, too.

Try a different cable if this doesn't work.

Jan

Collapse -
Pin 1 is not always at the power connector end
by JohnCNR / September 22, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

On Hard Drives Pin 1 is always at the end nearest the power connector BUT on Floppy Disk Drives there has never been a standard imposed.

connect the FDD cable to the MBoard make sure pin 1 is to pin 1 and that you are using the MBoard end of the cable. Then connect the FDD end of the cable to the FDD connection (cable has twist in it) but with Pin 1 away from the power connector.

Collapse -
GREEN LIGHT ON FLOPPY
by JOBEYM16 / September 22, 2005 8:54 PM PDT

Hi. You say you just installed a new Motherboard on your machine. Chances are you've plugged the cable from the floppy to the motherboard in backwards. Go through all your safety precautions, then open up, unplug and reinsert. Look carefully at BOTH ends of the cable to be sure. Chances are the green light will go out when you reboot. Rememaber, take ALL standard precautions when touching the MB and other internal static-affected parts.

Good Luck
jobeym16

Collapse -
Floppy light stays on
by andy1512 / September 22, 2005 9:09 PM PDT

There are only 2 reasons for this fault one is the Bus cable is on back to front either at the floppy side which should have pin one facing the power connection or on the board.
However you've checked and made sure this is not the case then the second reason is the drive controller has failed.

The floppy drive controller is usually loaded automatically by the bios or upgraded during the install of windows etc.

Try updating the drive controller from system, it should state standard floppy controller in device manager.

Use your Win XP or which ever op system you have installed and try an upgrade of the driver.

If this does not work then you'll have to install a new floppy drive.

regards

Andy

Collapse -
Do without it
by Nebuchadnezzer / September 22, 2005 10:24 PM PDT

If you cannot fix the problem after going through all the previous excellent suggestions, then do without a floppy. Very rarely are they used these days. If you have no real need for a floppy drive, why bother ?

Collapse -
Cable is reversed
by atcontrolr / September 22, 2005 10:29 PM PDT

You have one end of the cable reversed. You need to have pin 1 to pin 1. Take the cable off at the drive and reverse it. Be sure that pin 1 on the board corresponds to the red stripe on the cable.

Collapse -
Don't trust the FDD connector!
by CorkyMuldoon / September 23, 2005 12:13 AM PDT

Hi.

This happened to me once upon a time.

As many other posters have indicated, the FDD ribbon cable is reversed - and probably at the end connected to the drive.

The documentation I received with a new floppy once said that the FDD adapter was to be connected in reverse! That is - I had to defeat the knockout (or notch) on the FDD end of the ribbon cable. Once I reversed it, the green light only stayed on during boot (looking for a bottable floppy).

Collapse -
Re: Don't trust the FDD connector!
by squeeze / September 23, 2005 2:45 AM PDT

This could be the problem but if they just changed the motherboard, then that would most likely be where the cable is reversed. Chances are that the FDD did not go bad between the change in the MB. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Inverted signal cable.
by Mendieta / September 23, 2005 4:33 PM PDT

Check the signal cable, it's much probably inverted, pin 1 conected to pin 40, the signal cable has a red stripe that must be conected to pin 1 on both, floppy unit & controller, most floppies has pin 1 near to the energy conector, but not all floppies, there are some exceptions, to be shure look at your floppy unit conector, there must be a number "1" printed near pin 1 or a small triangle, that's pin 1, on the mother board manual must be indicated which pin is Number one & probably on the motherboard too.

Hope this helps you.

Collapse -
I forgot to say...
by Mendieta / September 23, 2005 5:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Inverted signal cable.

Some floppies have a plastic box around the 40 pins that prevents reversed cable on the floppy side (just like the motherboard controller has), this plastic guide box also prevents pins to be left out from the cable conector & to be bended for the same reason, but some floppies don't have this platic box guide, if yours doesn't have that plastic guide, disconect the cable from the floppy & check out if some pins are bended out, if so, carefully realign them and conect the cable again.

Try also another cable, maybe your motherboard came with new drive cables and if you use the new ones, can be that the new cable is defective.

I don't think that your floppy can be defective if it was working before the motherboard change.

Collapse -
I had this problem
by The Dud / September 24, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

When ever I put a floppy drive in a computer I always get the green light that stays on, for me it was a simple fix. On the back of the floppy drive the cable could be upside down, because most arn't notched like on CD/Hard Drives. If you flip it and it still is green flip it on the mother bord. Try some diferent combonations.

Collapse -
floppy dks light stays on.
by liondad0 / September 24, 2005 5:02 AM PDT

One. Replace drive,
Two Replace drive lead,
Three look at pins in mobo socket and the solder joints and the component in and around the socket,
i a feeling your find a capacitor has got to the end
of its life and is leaking,
if it not one or two,
its three,
Four replace mobo,
trying to replace a capacitor on a four layer mobo,
is not fun.
LEN

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So...what was it???
by Dan McC / September 26, 2005 6:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Figure this out
by Drake1132 / July 7, 2006 8:10 AM PDT

Got a new comp
floppy light stayed on
checked all cables - no change
checked cables in another computer - all fine
checked floppy drive in other comp - light stays on

this would suggest it was the floppy right?

Well

used second floppy from other comp(which was working fine) in new comp
Light stayed on...... argggggghhh
put second floppy from other comp back into other comp
THE LIGHT STILL STAYED ON

Are my floppys dead? Has the m/b or psu in new comp done something to them?

Please help!!!

Collapse -
Since this thread. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 7, 2006 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Figure this out

is a year old you might want to create a new one.

Collapse -
FDD light staying on
by riktek / February 3, 2010 7:03 AM PST

Had this problem recently, and followed all recommended procedures without success, including flashing bios. When the o/s was up (WinxP), the drive was seen, but kept coming up with the message "Please insert floppy disk in drive A". As the problem occurred during bootup then persisted, as a final resort,I reseated the memory. Problem solved. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.