Phones forum

Resolved Question

A few questions about unlocked phones

by Jumbosize3 / December 15, 2012 4:03 AM PST

I want to just start off by apologizing if this either incredibly obvious or if this is the wrong place to post this, but I cannot for the life of my find answers to these questions.

Hello! I'm considering buying an unlocked cell-phone and I have a few questions about them.

1) I currently have at&t and I have a locked galaxy s2 with a sim card. can I use that sim card on an unlocked phone, even though it came from a locked phone?

2) Can an unlocked cell-phone be used without a sim card? From what I have heard, they can be used without the sim card, you just can't do anything that uses 3g/calling/texting/etc...

3) I'm wanting to get an xperia Play unlocked phone, and as far as I can tell they don't have a locked version for at&t. will this have any affect on whether or not the unlocked one will work with at&t?

If anybody has any answers to these questions, I would be grateful if you helped me. Thanks in advance!

Jumbosize3 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A few questions about unlocked phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A few questions about unlocked phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Jumbosize3

Collapse -
Don't be afraid to ask....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 5:27 AM PST

1. You can swap your SIM card between compatible devices and keep the same phone number.
2. You cannot use a GSM phone without an active SIM card for anything but 911 calls.
3. As long as the device operates w/ the 850 and 1900 mhz frequencies and is unlocked, it should work with At&t.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Jumbosize3 / December 15, 2012 5:47 AM PST

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help. However, I do have a question about your answer to the second question. On my current phone, (At&t Samsung Galaxy S2) I can take out the SIM card and use it just fine as long as I don't try to make calls or anything. If I'm not mistaken this is a GSM phone, right?

So are you sure this would be the case? Again, I know very little about this topic so I could easily be wrong...

Collapse -
Answer
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

You cannot make calls or access cellular data without a SIM card installed in the phone (with the exception of 911). There is absolutely no question about that.

You could use wifi on the phone without a SIM but that is because the phone has the hardware built in and does not involve the cellular carrier. You can use the built in features/applications in the phone without a SIM that do not require a cellular connection.

If you are using an At&t phone, it is definitely GSM technology.

Collapse -
Thanks again
by Jumbosize3 / December 15, 2012 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: Answer

Ahh, that clears things up. I was under the impression that you were saying literally the only thing you could do with the phone was dial 911. I appreciate your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.