Samsung

Question

A Different Auto Motion Plus Question

by bkVidTech / November 10, 2011 10:52 PM PST

Hey there Samsung_HD_Tech, I hope you're monitoring this board lately...

I just got a new UN40D6300 and it's awesome. I've read a lot about AMP, seen it in action on this set as well as at the store, and like many I've decided not to use it or to use it sparingly.

Nevertheless, I don't like features that don't work or are only partially implemented, and I fear this is the case with the AMP presets on my new TV.

I understand the Samsung menu architecture, that when I go to a preset for a given parameter the options for that preset are set and grayed out when I return to the previous screen. Then it's only when I choose "Custom" that the sliders for those parameters are no longer grayed out and are available for me to tweak. This makes sense.

However, when I go to MENU -> Picture -> Picture Options -> Auto Motion Plus and choose "Clear", "Standard" or "Smooth", I am returned to the previous screen with the grayed out options "Blur Reduction" and "Judder Reduction" both set to exactly 5 for both parameters for all three options.

First of all, what should the settings be for each of these presets, and secondly is Samsung aware of this error and could/will it be fixed in a future firmware update?

Thanks, and I look forward to your answer. This is a great TV and I will probably not use Auto Motion Plus anyway, but I'd hate to think something is broken out of the box.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Different Auto Motion Plus Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Different Auto Motion Plus Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Clarification
by bkVidTech / November 11, 2011 1:30 AM PST

Uh, sorry, that's a UN40D6400 that I got. Question is the same: Why are all three presets set to Judder=5 and Blur=5 ??

Collapse -
Answer
A Different Auto Motion Plus Question
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 11, 2011 11:05 AM PST

bkVidTech,

Collapse -
Thanks for checking
by bkVidTech / November 12, 2011 3:05 AM PST

It did a firmware update when I turned it on for the very first time, so no way to tell if that's what did it or not.

Collapse -
Thanks for checking
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 14, 2011 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for checking

bkVidTech,

Collapse -
I don't think you understand my question...
by bkVidTech / November 14, 2011 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks for checking

Samsung_HD_Tech, thanks for looking into this. However, your answer doesn't make sense to me. I understand that CUSTOM is the one to choose if I want to change values (I indicated this in my original question). However, if each of the Samsung presets -- Clear, Standard or Smooth -- is supposed to have a different effect on the picture, then each preset should consist of a different set of preset and unchangeable values for the two parameters. In other words, and I'm making these values up for illustration only:

When I choose "Clear" I should return to the previous menu with the parameters locked at 3 and 7
When I choose "Standard" I should return to the previous menu with the parameters locked at 4 and 6

etc.

This is not what happens. They are BOTH 5 for ANY preset. Why have 3 named presets if all of them are 5 and 5???

Collapse -
I don't think you understand my question..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 15, 2011 2:28 AM PST

bkVidTech,

Collapse -
Are you sure?
by bkVidTech / November 15, 2011 7:06 AM PST

I don't mean to be contrary, but that's not my experience with Samsung menus. When I select a sound preset (MUSIC, VOICE, etc.), for example, and then I set it again to CUSTOM, then go into the EQ, the EQ is set to the parameters for the most recent non-custom preset and then I can tweak it further. Why would it be any different for AMP?

Collapse -
Are you sure?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 16, 2011 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Are you sure?

bkVidTech -

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.