Phones forum

General discussion

A cell phone without GPS yes NO GPS

by PaulRx4 / March 20, 2008 11:02 AM PDT

I need another cell phone, but this phone is wanted
without GPS. An older dependable unit with few features
is fine, my present phone is with Verizon so it is CDMA.
I probably want to get three of these. Need any more
details ask me and i will answer. Thanks everyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A cell phone without GPS yes NO GPS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A cell phone without GPS yes NO GPS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hit ebay
by Jimmy Greystone / March 20, 2008 11:28 AM PDT

Hit ebay or craigslist, because you're probably not going to find any new phones being sold without that feature.

Of course it's supposed to be that such a feature isn't used to track your location, except for 911/emergency services. Wireless carriers don't really need to use that, they can track which tower you're using, they know the radius of the range on that tower, and can triangulate your position pretty easily... IF they want to.

Either way, just make sure whatever phone you get is at least digital, since all analog service was discontinued a couple of weeks ago in the US, and I think almost every other country had done away with analog signals long ago.

Collapse -
by Eballs / March 22, 2008 4:21 AM PDT

try morse code

Collapse -
Thanks for this answer-- on track ,but dealing with stalker!
by PaulRx4 / March 25, 2008 1:21 PM PDT

Thanks for this correct and on-track answer.
Am looking for a specfic phone without the GPS chip.
By law 5% dont have to have this GPS chip, some where there must by some out there. Having a problem with a real annoying and skilled stalker, who is very phone wise, but not into computers. Have used phone menu to only use the GPS for 911. Next step a phone without this feature. Thanks in advance PaulRx4

Collapse -
I have to say

I have to say, that if this person is able to track your phone's GPS, then they are probably skilled enough to track you even without the GPS. With a little basic trig and knowledge of where a couple of cell phone towers are, you can pinpoint someone's exact location. That's actually how GPS works, but that's another subject.

Stalkers are generally the sort who aren't going to be deterred by the fact that you use a phone without GPS. They'll just find some other way to track you. I just hope you aren't expecting this to be some miracle cure that will solve your stalker problems, because it's highly unlikely that will happen.

Collapse -
Personally, I'm a criminal...
by Joe_Curwen / September 7, 2012 10:34 AM PDT

and I have no interest in handing the cops a map of where I've been, nor of with whom I've been in contact. The FCC says this is about 911 services. Yet, the cops get millions of records from cell carriers every year without benefit of a warrant. Guess I'll have to get a throwaway phone when the old ones go kaput. Yes, I'm an evil pot person and I think the narcs ought to have to work their sorry asses off for every bust they make. F*** the police state.

Collapse -
get a tracfone
by James Denison / May 7, 2015 1:50 AM PDT

leave it off unless you need to use it, and move location immediately after or while using it.

Collapse -
same interest, different reason
by 64068 / May 7, 2015 1:01 AM PDT

I've chased the latest and greatest for a number of years now, but I'm about to take the same tack. I really like some of the apps on my Smartphone, but I've started deleting many of them because they ask for far too much access to personal information. The only app that truly needs to know my location is a Nav app. And no application needs access to my call logs, personal files, media, identity, etc. All these companies are gathering far too much information on me and I've had enough. So, my next step is to go back to something basic that allows me phone calls and text messages and not much else. It's just my way of pushing back on all these companies who have over-reached.
So - if anyone can recommend a phone without GPS that works on the AT&T network (an unlocked GSM phone?), I'd be interested.

Collapse -
No GPS does not hide your location.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2015 1:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
good info; not hiding from gov't
by 64068 / May 7, 2015 4:37 AM PDT

Thanks! That was good info. I had never heard of Stingray, so that was an interesting read. I should note, however, that I'm not too worried about hiding from the government. I'm more concerned about the corporate world and all the data they're acquiring on me. I rather like my privacy.

Collapse -
ATT is collecting data.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2015 6:30 AM PDT

There are tomes on the web about no-GPS location tracking and data collection.

"Carrier based location data is collected by obtaining historical call detail records for a
particular phone from the cellular carrier along with a listing of the cell tower locations for
that carrier. This data is then analyzed for the purpose of generally placing a cell phone in a
location on a map." (google that!)

No GPS required. This data is collected all the time by the carriers. The only way to opt out is to remove the phone battery. The moment you power up, they have a rough idea where you are.

That's why a non-USA sat phone may be the only way to get away from such logging.

Collapse -
check them all out
by James Denison / May 7, 2015 1:49 AM PDT
here. This is the cheapie I use and leave off most of the time, and in my van all the time.My other phone is Magic Jack and no surprise if it's on all the time at home, more than any landline.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.