Networking & Wireless

Question

a cell phone (not mine) keeps showing up on network

by voodooevil / March 30, 2013 10:11 PM PDT

Hi.
I have an asus rt-n66u hooked up to my arris wifi modem (set to bridge).
all firewalls are set to on. my wireless devices are android phone, apple phone, satellite receiver, notebook, blueray, and a Microsoft surface tablet.
for some strange reason a verizion Motorola droid keeps showing up on my network when I look at network map on my tablet and pc. I only see its mac address. its very strange that it seems that I don't see it on the router itself, just my own wifi items (I think I don't see it)
anyway how can this happen? I have wpa2 set up and do not have guest acess on.
thanks for any help.....
joe

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: a cell phone (not mine) keeps showing up on network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: a cell phone (not mine) keeps showing up on network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What security on the WiFi did you use?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

It's not at all strange to see this but I didn't find what security you used.

WEP is broken by small children in seconds (about 15).
WPA is broken in about 2 hours by teenagers.
WPA2 is broken in about a day by adults with credit cards.

There's a lot to cover about security on WiFi but let's hear more from you.
Bob

Collapse -
i use wpa2
by voodooevil / March 31, 2013 2:14 AM PDT

Thanks for responding.
I use wpa2

Collapse -
Then block it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: i use wpa2

Some routers have a way to block it but you can simply change the password and it takes about a day and currently 12 bucks to crack it again. I have yet to see any do it yourself cracking on WPA2 in the wild that is easy enough for most.

If that fails, note the bad MAC address and we get to see if your router can block a specific MAC. That's called black listing. Most routers did the opposite in they supported white listing.

Either way, kinda painful but given the issues of allowing others on your network, I'd move against this unauthorized use.
Bob

Collapse -
tried changing password
by voodooevil / March 31, 2013 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Then block it.

I changed password and that Verizon phone is back on my network.
I dont understand.
Its weird, when I use my arris gateway modem alone I do not see the Verizon phone.
I don't know why the Asus router is allowing it.

Collapse -
(NT) Now it's time for MAC filters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 9:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
i gave up
by voodooevil / March 31, 2013 10:54 PM PDT

Thanks for all your help,
I just switched to the arris 3.0 gateway modem.
The Verizon cell phone is gone from network now. Asus modem just gave me too many problems, and they do not offer easy tech support solution.
Thanks R profit....

Joe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.