Car Tech forum

General discussion

98' Jeep Grand Cherokee-stalls and jerks when running, help!

by boredomkillsya / July 9, 2009 1:21 AM PDT

my 98' jeep grand cherokee has always had a slight jerking problem when running, especially during acceleration. however, lately it has gotten worse; occuring very frequently and more violently. it still runs and gets me where i need to go, but if anyone could let me know if this is a sign of a serious problem or how i can fix it then let me know.

Also, starting yesterday, the engine shut off while i was idling. i would then have to turn the car off and restart it and it worked fine. could that be an electrical connection problem? because after shutting off it would turn right back on. this happens intermittently, and not every time.

anyone that has any ideas please help:) thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 98' Jeep Grand Cherokee-stalls and jerks when running, help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 98' Jeep Grand Cherokee-stalls and jerks when running, help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HAD THE SAME PROBLEM
by giggles815 / July 13, 2009 3:24 AM PDT

I had the same problem and I had to get a rebuilt transmission from Aamco I am still having the stalling problem and there is another forum on this site that talks about that I would recommend to take it to a place that does transmissions and have them look at it You could also check your transmission fluid to check the level and see if there are any metal shillings or pieces on the dipstick and also smell it to see if it smells burnt That would give you an idea if the transmission is the problem or just something else

Collapse -
In response to giggles815 and Aamco
by mantonmark / December 2, 2010 4:38 PM PST
In reply to: HAD THE SAME PROBLEM

I noticed that you had the same problem where your Jeep would stall and Aamco talked you into a rebuilt tranny. You then said you are still having the same problem...... duh... sounds like Aamco took advantage of you and conned another unsuspecting soul. Take your car back to them and demand your money back..... it wont do any good but it might make you feel better. Isn't it funny no sad that you take your car that probably has some sort of electrical issue to a transmission shop and they tell you that your problem lies within the transmission and yep you need a new one. Please please please get a second opinion especially when it comes to major bucks as in a new or rebuilt transmission.

Collapse -
stalling due to transmission
by jmgarland77 / December 11, 2011 8:21 AM PST

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif";'><font size="3">I have a good
feeling that my 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited stall due to transmission. When
driving if stopping sharply it will stall, but if the stop is gradual it won't
stall. I believe that the transmission is not shifting to 1st before stop
occurs. I had issues earlier where the transmission ECU malfunctioned and when
in to limp mode (2nd) I reset computer and it shifts and drives fine unless
there is a sudden stop where 90% it will stall. I've yet to call a trans shop
because I believe just like going to dentist there is always something not
perfect with your transmission or teeth.</font>
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font>

Collapse -
Reply to old thread...
by dragon5126 / August 7, 2012 7:03 AM PDT

Stalling is RARELY due to an automatic transmission. Anyone telling you otherwise is either trying to sell you a tranny or doesnt know what they are doing. The transmission does not lock up to the engine until it is doing over 35 MPH, prior to that speed the torque converter is strictly fluidicly linked to the engine. if it is locking up before that it is electronic control ot the torque converter malfunctioning. The torque converter is the automatic equivalent of the clutch, and NOT the transmision. These issues that you two gentlemen are reporting are most likely PCM (power train control module) issues as it controls the entire driveline function from the voltage regulator to the shift points of the transmission.

Collapse -
it might be your distributor cap
by R1one / July 13, 2009 5:13 AM PDT

it might be your distributor cap and /or sparkplug wires. u might as well replace sparkplug too. UR issues mimics exactly like mine.

Collapse -
TRY THIS
by DaveDaDodge / August 27, 2009 7:51 AM PDT

Before you go changing all kinds of sensors, pick up some heavy duty 24" zip ties. Clean the inside of the pins and the contacts on the PCM with DeOxit G5. Wrap the zipties around the back of the PCM and cross vertically over the connectors and cinch down tight. You'll notice the connectors no longer move in the sockets.

Even if it is not your problem, it's cheap insurance.

Collapse -
FANTASTIC ADVICE!
by dragon5126 / August 7, 2012 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: TRY THIS

When any vehicle ages, the first thing that happens is corrosion hits electrical connectors, the second is the shells of those connectors get brittle and lose the ability to stay tight. Deoxit can be bought at Radio Shack, or any Commercial electronics supplier. As an Engineer I have been using the stuff for decades, and have found myself NOT replacing electronic components that standard operating procedures called for replacement of. It isnt cheap, but it is easy to use and it is worth it's weight in gold because it prevents the otherwise called for replacement of parts that would cost a lot more, in many instances... MAJOR THUMBS UP TO DaveDaDodge for BOTH points of his recommendation!!!!

Collapse -
same problems with mine
by jclose502 / October 24, 2009 11:16 AM PDT

I have a 98 jeep grand limited 5.9L.I am having the same problems with mine.i took it to a friends house that has a scanner and it was saying there was a cylinder 3 misfire.i had changed the spark plus not to long ago but i got the firing order and sure enough the spark plug on #3 was red looking and looked a little burnt.replaced and it ran good,then it happened again.same spark plug,its a temp fix but there is a deeper problem,still looking for it.will post when i find it.

jay

Collapse -
Same issue
by silverjeep / October 29, 2009 12:02 PM PDT

I am no mechanic so I will give as much info as I can. I have stall problem, seems worse in wet weather, but at first this did not seem to be so... It was intermittent or I didn't notice the weather. Stalls when transfering from Reverse to Drive. Also stalls or studders after driving for a few miles. Can often smell sulfer when this happens... I'm beside myself. It's a 1998 grand cherokee, have had it for 1 year 3 months only 79,000 on it that is why I bought it. So far I have spent roughly 3000 changed the pcm, have had tune up and super clean changed a fuel pump that is inside tank (I think) have had it at dealer and a mechanic that I have trusted for many years. Also tried the tye wrap thing, this also did not work. I'm thinking something to do with the transmission now. I am most anxious for another solution...one that works! Mechanic is puzzled. Dealer is more puzzled and more expensive!!!!help

Collapse -
Possible fix?
by thajeeper / November 1, 2009 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

On another thread, one member had a stall problem and said that if a dealer analysis of $109, they believed it might be the MAP sensor: about $70 and a quick 5 minute replacement that you can do yourself. Then you allow a few minutes of vehicle running to allow it to adjust to the new sensor and then no more problems. Hopefully, this might be your solution and when you read about the MAP sensor - it's on the manifold - it might very well be the culprit. Or the IAT sensor - the intake air temp sensor. Just a couple things for your car people to think about.

Collapse -
98 Jeep Cherokee stalling problem
by silverjeep / November 1, 2009 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Possible fix?

I forgot to mention that we tried changing the Map sensor and it was not the problem. It was one of the first things we tried I just about forgot about it. Also don't think I mentioned that it is a straight 6.
I am wondering about grounding wires... any suggestions about which ones to look at/replace? Since it is worse or just about undrivabe in the rain, this is what I am thinking now.
Silverjeep

Collapse -
cat converter
by silverjeep / November 1, 2009 7:50 AM PST

Also, forgot to mention that it recently had a new exhaust system new cat and all, so I know it is not the cat as the dealer suggested. had problem before and after the new system so I don't think its that. They cannot recreate the problem, I am going to have to bring the car to mechanic on the next coldest rainyest day we have Happy

Collapse -
bad in the rain
by dragon5126 / August 7, 2012 7:33 AM PDT

have you replaced the coil, ignition wires, plugs cap and rotor with PREMIUM parts. and the plugs shoud be old fashioned standard plugs. The 4.0 is sensitive to massive changes. go bone stock on the ignition components for a default setup. Then after all is done you can replace the coil and plugs, avoid platinum. as the electrodes are too small. multi electrode plugs are fine as are higher energy coils. but not until all bugs are worked out. and your cap rotor and cables need to be absolutely the best you can afford, but this goes for every vehicle, as it ensures the maximum amount of energy from the coil making it to the plugs, and remember metal plug wires are for racing not street driving

Collapse -
The Sulfer smell is a give away
by dragon5126 / August 7, 2012 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

You have a catalytic converter issue. it may have a leak and the O2 sensor is reading a bad oxygen level and throwing the PCM into the default mode, causing an excessively rich condition which will cause the sulfer smell to get worse, (the 98 is notorious for this) your O2 sensor on the cat may be bad BUT dont be suprised if it isnt. the harness/connector to it are known to go bad as well. so get a service book such as a haynes from the library for info on how to check the sensor and connector and then check the harness id the connector shows bad... if both show good, CAREFULLY CUT the cat out and put in a TEMPORARY bypass tube with a jury rigged fitting for the O2 sensor (a hole cut in the pipe to fit the sensor with no leaks, NO SEALANTS!) and see what happens. if this corrects the condition your cat has gone bad or is blocked. Some people have had good luck cleaning them with steam, hot water being flushed through, acetone being misted onto the monolith and other carbon removal techniques, instead of just buying a new one online for between 150 to 250 dollars.

You noted that you did the tie wraps but did you use the deoxit? ad is the PCM getting a proper ground as well? these are two major points that need to be ensured.

Collapse -
1998 GC 5.9 LTD
by Tom Lawrence / July 29, 2010 12:45 PM PDT

Stalls as if choke on carburetor was on, but injected, problem is that when engine is below operating temp it stalls on restart but never happens again when it is up to temperature but heavy traffic same stalling , never completely shuts down/off, pull over, hold throttle down and boom it takes off and clears up. Dealer said they adjusted everything and then (not before ) they put it on all kind test machines $$$ and it worked fine for a month the then back to the same? 2 dealers ,no answers?

Collapse -
PCM
by dragon5126 / August 7, 2012 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: 1998 GC 5.9 LTD

Something is inducing PCM issues, either the PCM itself is bad or you have a bad sensor/ mechanical issue such as a bad cat. As for the big buck test equipment? believe it or not a 200 dollar OBDII unit will probably tell you where the REAL issue is. plug it in and drive it with it connected. when the problem happens it will be there to read it. that big buck big box cant do that. (OBDII readers are available for less tha 70 bucks on up to 500, some are even just programs and interfaces for your laptop, whatever type you get, makesure it has a plain english display not just a numeric error code read out)

Collapse -
jeep grand
by mrkurse / December 29, 2009 12:33 PM PST

i have a 2000 jeep grand cherooke... runs good workd and then all of a sudent stops... took it to dealer, they coulnt fing anything with it. some electricial guy replace some part on the ecm and reprogram the ecm and gave me a new key.... my problem still accuring.. i dont know what to do next, can someone help me.

Collapse -
Grand Cherokee 97 stalling at highway speeds
by svanschalkwyk / July 31, 2013 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: jeep grand

I had the same thing - stalling at highway speeds.
Turned out it was one of the connectors to the PCM. I had previously taken my Jeep to Kings Jeep in St. Louis MO for an AC evaporator recall where they had inflicted untold damage to my vehicle. They ended up paying for it to be repaired, but what the second shop did not see was that the PCM was only attached by one screw...
Long story short - 6 months ago I took the PCM off and resoldered the connector joints.
Yesterday the car started stalling and I found that one of the connectors was falling out, so I put cable ties around the PCM to hold them in. I also sprayed the entire thing with rubber sealant. Let's see how long this fix holds.

Collapse -
98 jeep stall problem
by silverjeep / December 30, 2009 7:30 AM PST

I posted my same problem as you a few posts down... after about 9 months of changing parts, major tune up new computer, tie wrapping the computer, other new parts... mega $$$ still had stall problem which was worse in the rain, it started as yours, would stall at idle then when restarted it was or seemed fine... but it worsened, really bad in the rain, when driving, I suspect some kind of electrical problem, but no one could fix.... I'm now driving a Honda... sorry I gave up and got rid of the car.

Collapse -
wasted post
by dragon5126 / August 7, 2012 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: 98 jeep stall problem

Do you really think that this post was of any help other than to discourage the people?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.