Car Tech forum

General discussion

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo electrical issues. need help!!

by jgerba / March 19, 2010 5:26 AM PDT

Hello all,
hoping someone can help me out here. I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and am at my wits end. The vehicle was running fine until one day went to start it and had no power. thought my battery was dead so tried to get it jumped and nothing. I did get it started but would not stay running unless you revved the engine, and when you put it in gear it would die out. Had to get it towed home because after sitting overnight the vehicle was completely dead.
Checked everything out and changed throttle position sensor, starter relay, cam shaft positioning sensor, ignition control switch, neutral safety switch, and alternator. checked all fuses and relays, battery is good and just got a new pcm today, and still nothing.
All wires are good as far as I know...have checked them all for power. Not getting any power to the ignition for some reason. Inside lights come on when door opens and dome lights work. Go to turn the key and absolutely nothing.
First day it died out there was clicking on the passenger side coming through what sounded like the speaker or somewhere under the glovebox.
just don't know what to do!
anyone please help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo electrical issues. need help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo electrical issues. need help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee is having electrical problems also

This is the most craziest and expensive thing I've ever encountered in any vehicle I owned. One day I disconnected the negative cable on battery and was hooking up ground for amp when I heard poppin noise, went to the front to see the negative cable moved and touched the neg terminal. I unhooked amp wires and connected neg cable tried to start the truck and nothing #!( ... It turns over but doesn't stay on just like you said and my dash ignition lights don't come on/ plus guages don't move/ and dome light stays on until I turn key. Waht is wrong with this jeep?????? If you have a solution that got your truck back or just advice reply back PLEASE #;) I was told it could be fusible link but nope did'nt work don't want to spend on pcm.$$$$$

Collapse -
Exact Same Problem
by tbruneau / January 3, 2011 5:24 AM PST

I have what sounds like the exact same problem. Same symptoms but I haven't found a solution. Did you ever get it fixed, if so what was the cause/solution?

Collapse -
almost the same for me
by harryballsagna / February 19, 2011 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Exact Same Problem

my jeep gauges and everything is good good fuel psi good oil psi replaced everything just no spark i have power at the coil at key on but no power while cranking have you guys checked out your asd system i have checked it and still nothing im pulling my hair out now i have a jeep master tech helping me from just answer .com a lot of help but still nothing

Collapse -
by sinnder / April 19, 2014 8:28 AM PDT

I had the some problem, its the alarm. Lock the jeep, then unlock it using the key on the driver doo. that should fix it. With the alarm engaged the vehicle will start but will continue to die. and if its not that umm it could possibly be the fuel pump, or crankshaft sensor.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.