Car Tech

General discussion

97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo--sputters and dies

by mommy2avery / November 28, 2010 9:35 PM PST

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4WD, with a 4L, 6Cyl engine. Recently it has began to sputter and die while I'm driving. We thought it may be the fuel injectors so we dumped some cleaner into the tank. We even switched to a better quality gas in the hope that this would help too. The cleaner and better gas seemed to help for about a month.
Then, yesterday when I was driving, it sputtered and started to cut out again, I pressed on the accelerator and it came out of it, but then a few miles later I lost all power, nothing would happen when I stepped on the accelerator. I managed to coast into a parking spot and tried restarting the engine. Nothing, wouldn't even crank. After a couple minutes it did finally start back up and I was able to get the last few miles home.
My Dad who is a mechanic but lives too far away to come help, suggested trying more fuel cleaner and then look into the fuel filter and pump. After reading several posts on here I'm wondering if it may be the PCM or a sensor. Anybody else have any suggestions on where to start? I don't have alot of money and I'm looking to try to fix this myself as cheaply as possible.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo--sputters and dies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo--sputters and dies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
added info
by mommy2avery / November 28, 2010 9:41 PM PST

don't know if this makes a difference but the Jeep has an automatic transmission and around 170,000 miles. Thank you to anyone who is willing to help me out.

Collapse -
Did you ever get it fixed?
by Glasshopper95608 / June 3, 2012 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: added info

Hi: Got the same thing, I have cleaned the throttle body. I have replaced, the fuel pump, injectors, crank position sensor, temp. sensor, throttle position sensor, MAP and ECU. Anybody figure this out? My tach jumps about 2k when it dies. Only dies when it is warm, runs great in park and when cold.

Collapse -
Possible plugged exhaust....
by Meshuggah408 / December 1, 2010 4:07 PM PST

Hello mommy2avery. It could be a plugged exhaust. Due to loss of power while driving then having a no-start after it died out leads me to this possible answer. Think of your engine as a vacuum cleaner(sucks air through on one end and pushes air out of the other end). If it can't push air out(plugged exhaust), then it can't pull air in. Good way to check, start you vehicle and let it warm up, while parked of course, rev the engine up to 2,000 r.p.m. for 1-2 minutes if you can. Then let it idle, look under the vehicle for your exhaust pipe(pay close attention to your catalytic converter) if any of it that you can see turns bright red, orange, or white hot; then you know your heating up your catalytic converter(CAT's are not suppose to get that hot) which means plugged exhaust. hope this helps.

p.s. this shows what a catalytic converter looks like(it's not a muffler)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Collapse -
I'll check the exhaust
by mommy2avery / December 3, 2010 2:19 AM PST

Thanks, we'll check this out. Will post back if this is not the answer.

Collapse -
stalling jeep
by orvis97 / January 17, 2011 5:03 PM PST
In reply to: I'll check the exhaust

I had a similar problem. often when i would take my foot off the gas and slow to a stop the truck would stall. It seemed to do this more often when I would have the heat on. I eventually cleaned the Idle air control valve w/ throttle body cleaner. Also cleaned out the throttle body. all you need is a t25 torx wrench(looks like a Allen key with a star tip.)((every jeep owner should have one)) , long arms, and the cleaner. Go to a auto parts store have them print out a picture of the IAC. Also ask them to show you where it's at. If cleaning it doesn't work it might need to be replaced all together, $40 part. When all else fails change the battery (that's where the gremlins live)...

Collapse -
did you every get the jeep working
by crhyne2007 / April 10, 2015 6:29 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll check the exhaust

Did you ever find the problem with your jeep and did you fix it mine is the same problem stressing please reply

Collapse -
sputtermobile
by muddydeere / December 3, 2010 7:38 PM PST

let your hubby use it for mudding and tell him to buy you a new one! just kidding, breakdowns are frustrating. Good luck!! Maybe your fuel pump is getting weak, after time the rubber "paddles" get weak and flimsy and will allow gas to slip by and create a void and an airlock in the fuel line. it makes sense when you have to let it set before it will start and run again.....have to let that air dissipate and the line refill with fuel....just a thought from past experiences!! I hope you get it going again!!

Collapse -
stalling jeep
by orvis97 / January 17, 2011 5:04 PM PST

I had a similar problem. often when i would take my foot off the gas and slow to a stop the truck would stall. It seemed to do this more often when I would have the heat on. I eventually cleaned the Idle air control valve w/ throttle body cleaner. Also cleaned out the throttle body. all you need is a t25 torx wrench(looks like a Allen key with a star tip.)((every jeep owner should have one)) , long arms, and the cleaner. Go to a auto parts store have them print out a picture of the IAC. Also ask them to show you where it's at. If cleaning it doesn't work it might need to be replaced all together, $40 part. When all else fails change the battery (that's where the gremlins live)...

Collapse -
97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo--sputters and dies
by UICJeepGC / March 6, 2013 2:56 AM PST

Mine is a 96 GC with 6Cyl. Initially, it would stall not long after starting, unless I increased the rpms. It would also stall driving down the road when the engine was cold. Once the engine warmed, it would rarely stall.
So, after looking at several websites, I did the following (in this order) in the course of a few months: change fuel filter, replaced throttle position sensor, cleaned throttle body, replaced spark plugs, cleaned idle air control valve, replaced distributor cap and rotor and replaced the crankshaft position sensor. No improvement.
Yesterday, looking at other forums, I backed out the the two screws holding the PCM to the firewall by 1/3 of a turn. I'm only two days in, but I do not touch the gas when I start the engine and it doesn't stall. As hard as it is for me to believe, I am going to keep a good thought.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.