Car Tech forum

General discussion

97 Jeep Grand Cherokee cranks won't start- no spark or fuel

by JeepMysteryProb / May 31, 2009 3:02 PM PDT

I picked up a 97 Grand Cherokee with a mystery problem and I need some help.

Here is the rundown- When I turn the key on i get no guages, no idiot lights below the guage cluster. There is no power going to the fuel pump and it is producing no spark. It turns and cranks but will not start. There was a hack job installation of a remote start when the previous owner had it. I can't even see how many miles are on it because the guages will not turn on.

I was thinking it was the computer or the power distribution center but I am seriously stumped here...

basically

-No Spark
-No fuel pump (or no power going to fuel pump)
-The guages do not work, and will not show mileage
-It cranks but no start

what the heck is wrong with it?!

Please help me

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee cranks won't start- no spark or fuel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee cranks won't start- no spark or fuel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the Same problem

This was an intermittent problem for me. Usually I "fixed" the problem by rowing the shifter and if that did not work, time, (or having it towed to a mechanic) usually "fixed" the problem.
I currently have the JP GC in a dealer - they Claim the PDC (power distribution center - aka. main fuse box or engine fuse box) is corroded too bad.
I am currently trying to locate a used PDC - since the dealer claims this is not longer available from D/C/J - and claims is not available thru aftermarket sources. Contact me (a) if you have success or (b) need help locating a PDC. mark_a_lucas37@hotmail.com

Collapse -
Hello there...Did you ever solve the problem with your Jeep?
by papagotgas / November 3, 2009 3:41 AM PST

hello there,

I have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 and I am having the same problem as you did on your jeep,but I am getting power to all of my gauges and there was no check engine light. My neighber had a OBDII scanner did the diagnostic and there was no trouble code. I replaced the fuel filter,cap/rotor,plugs,wires,coil. Still it cranks with no spark. I have not changed the crank/cam sensors yet until I find out the out come of your problem.
Did you ever get the problem resolved and what was the problem.I sure could use your help if you got your jeep running again.

Thank You very much!

papagotgas

Collapse -
tough to find that info
by Antaios / November 5, 2009 8:21 PM PST

The manufacturers dont usually have info on what symptoms could mean what problems so neither do the aftermarket repair manuals. You could use this repair manual software which does have symptoms: http://www.repairsurge.com. You download it and run it on your computer. (pls note this is not a affiliate link)

Collapse -
97 GRAND CHE NO START
by ZEPPER1 / March 19, 2010 11:36 PM PDT

CAR TURNS OVER BUT NO START I NOTICED WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY ON TO START GAS GAUGE SHOWS THE LITTLE GAS PUMP SYMBOL AND GAS GAUGE DOES NOT MOVE I JUST FILLED THE TANK SO I NO THERE IS GAS I ALSO POURED GAS IN THE MOTOR NO START ,JUMPED FUEL PUMP IT WORKES. CRANK SENSOR ,COIL,MOGEL ALL HAVE POWER I EVEN CHANGED THE COMPUTER THE CAR DOES HAVE SECRITY SYSTEM FACTORY I JUST CANT FIGURE THIS ONE OUT HELP THANKS

Collapse -
97 cherokee problem
by jrr1942for / October 4, 2010 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: 97 GRAND CHE NO START

just wondering if you figured out what was wrong with your grand? Mine has same problems. thanks

Collapse -
NO START
by greasemonkey22 / March 19, 2012 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: 97 cherokee problem

This should be a recall,but as with other problems,they dont want to own up to it .So here's what i have learned :
ALL of the jeep cherokees have this problem . one cause is the crank position sensor ,mounted on the top of the trans. bell housing near / under the firewall. Some people have had luck with simply unplugging the sensor,waiting 5 minutes,then plugging it back up . In my case ,it had to be replaced .check first the fuel pump relay,located under the hood,pass. side in the fuse box,marked under the fuse box lid as fuel pump relay.the wiper fuse should be the same=check the numbers on the fuse .then check all other fuses with a test light.any blown fuse has a reason for it ,so use the wiring schematic it the back of the owners manual to find all wires in that circuit ,and check those wires for cuts,burns or chaffing (vibration rub marks that cut the wire fot the copper inside to corrode ).also make sure that the battery is not corroded , check the main ground wires for loose nuts that will make them a bad control ground .most older cherokees up to 1996 have a "trick" to getting the check engine light to blink a number of times for the code .turn the switch to the forward on position and back off 6 times then leave on for the code and write down the numbers. unlike chevy ,it only gives one code= no repeats until it is done so write fast . last code means its done . check you tube for videos on this . main cause = 99% of the time = FAULTY CRANK POSITION SENSOR .

Collapse -
cherokee noistart
by skyhawk967 / October 10, 2010 2:41 AM PDT

I am having the same problem any luck with your jeep?

Collapse -
Ever find out the problem??
by rickpulak / October 31, 2010 3:58 AM PDT

Got a 96 Jeep. Mines doing the EXACT same thing. Ran fine then just stopped starting up. Di you ever find out anything? Seems like a lot of people have this problem but no answer...any idea will help. Thanks.

Collapse -
NO START
by greasemonkey22 / March 19, 2012 3:04 PM PDT

This should be a recall,but as with other problems,they dont want to own up to it .So here's what i have learned :
ALL of the jeep cherokees have this problem . one cause is the crank position sensor ,mounted on the top of the trans. bell housing near / under the firewall. Some people have had luck with simply unplugging the sensor,waiting 5 minutes,then plugging it back up . In my case ,it had to be replaced .check first the fuel pump relay,located under the hood,pass. side in the fuse box,marked under the fuse box lid as fuel pump relay.the wiper fuse should be the same=check the numbers on the fuse .then check all other fuses with a test light.any blown fuse has a reason for it ,so use the wiring schematic it the back of the owners manual to find all wires in that circuit ,and check those wires for cuts,burns or chaffing (vibration rub marks that cut the wire fot the copper inside to corrode ).also make sure that the battery is not corroded , check the main ground wires for loose nuts that will make them a bad control ground .most older cherokees up to 1996 have a "trick" to getting the check engine light to blink a number of times for the code .turn the switch to the forward on position and back off 6 times then leave on for the code and write down the numbers. unlike chevy ,it only gives one code= no repeats until it is done so write fast . last code means its done . check you tube for videos on this . main cause = 99% of the time = FAULTY CRANK POSITION SENSOR . HOPE THIS HELPS .

Collapse -
NO START
by greasemonkey22 / March 19, 2012 3:02 PM PDT

ALL of the jeep cherokees have this problem . one cause is the crank position sensor ,mounted on the top of the trans. bell housing near / under the firewall. Some people have had luck with simply unplugging the sensor,waiting 5 minutes,then plugging it back up . In my case ,it had to be replaced .check first the fuel pump relay,located under the hood,pass. side in the fuse box,marked under the fuse box lid as fuel pump relay.the wiper fuse should be the same=check the numbers on the fuse .then check all other fuses with a test light.any blown fuse has a reason for it ,so use the wiring schematic it the back of the owners manual to find all wires in that circuit ,and check those wires for cuts,burns or chaffing (vibration rub marks that cut the wire fot the copper inside to corrode ).also make sure that the battery is not corroded , check the main ground wires for loose nuts that will make them a bad control ground .most older cherokees up to 1996 have a "trick" to getting the check engine light to blink a number of times for the code .turn the switch to the forward on position and back off 6 times then leave on for the code and write down the numbers. unlike chevy ,it only gives one code= no repeats until it is done so write fast . last code means its done . check you tube for videos on this . main cause = 99% of the time = FAULTY CRANK POSITION SENSOR . LET ME KNOW IF THIS WAS HELPFUL .

Collapse -
97 Grand laredo
by moondog1977 / September 13, 2013 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: NO START

Exact same problem with my cherokee. no fuel pump (even when turning the key on), no fire, no start. Replaced a faulty plug on the ECM, replaced crankshaft sensor, still nothing. No fuel gauge, (and it has 1/2 tank, AND it worked when the jeep arrived at my house being DRIVEN) the yellow low fuel indicator is lite up as well. HELP?

Collapse -
(NT) 1996 jeep grandcherukewe crank no start
by TomCain / June 22, 2010 7:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) 97GC no spark,no gas, fuel light on, gas in tank fuses ok
by stevenfaye / August 26, 2010 2:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
???
by ymehp / November 12, 2010 1:13 PM PST

Does ANYONE know the answer???

Collapse -
98 jeep cherokee sport
by shipleytyler / February 1, 2011 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: ???

i have the same problem with mine did anyone find out what it was?

Collapse -
96 jeep grand cherokee limited has the same problem
by kirk280zx / March 15, 2011 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: 98 jeep cherokee sport

How do we fix it i say chrysler needs to pay ha ha i wish. My 83 datsun never ever has problems like this terd. I love it how all the electrical stuff just craps out. I could have hand wired this car with duct tape and soildered it, ya know? jerry rigged it!The blower motor just stays on i fixed that just unplugged it,then it kept beeping service 4wd switch unplugged it, then ran fine for few years died while driving no start,no fuel or spark someone have and anser i will reply once mine is fixed unlike evrybody else. please help comp cps or gas and a match?

Collapse -
96 Jeep GC Laredo
by Trucktool / March 21, 2011 9:34 AM PDT

These cars all develop the same symptoms.. before you try anything else.. locate the ECM. On the 96 GC it is behind the radiator overflow - remove 3 10mm nuts. Lift it out of the way. The ECM has a plastic cover which pops off(forward)and you will see three large plug bundles plugged into the ECM. Here is what a guy told me- disconnect the battery, then there are two torx screws holding the cover on the actual metal ECM - they are 1/2" long..below the plugs in the front of the ecm. With wear and bouncing the board moves and contacts the end of the screws-- back them out half way - reconnect the battery and try to start it - if it works.. put in 1/4" sheet metal screws instead of the 1/2" long ones. Problem solved in my 2 cases.
It worked on both my 96 GC's. I am sure the guy saw this somewhere on the internet- he is just not that smart... this fixed the gas gauge issue and they run now..very well. I am guessing this was a long term problem that was intermittent..

If this doesn't fix it- the only other real culprits are the crankshaft position sensor and the ECM itself... try it - there is nothing to lose and it may work for you.

Collapse -
no crank fuel or gas gauge just died worked great before
by kirk280zx / March 21, 2011 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: 96 Jeep GC Laredo

Changed cap and rotor no fix I will tryecm fix tomm thanks so much I do body work plenty of sheetmetal screw I post back on what happens tomm afterwork

Collapse -
IT WORKED!!!!!
by alopez769 / April 22, 2011 5:35 AM PDT

Oh my GOSH, I followed your directions and after a full year of sitting in my garage my Jeep Grand Cherokee WORKS. Thank you! Thank you!

Collapse -
Yep.
by jaycbennett / June 9, 2014 7:32 AM PDT

Tried this on mine and had great success. I plugged everything back in, hooked up the battery, and the alarm went off - repeatedly. I unhooked the battery for about 10 minutes, did the reset with both door locks, and everythings good. Thanks.

Collapse -
NO START
by greasemonkey22 / March 19, 2012 3:07 PM PDT

ALL of the jeep cherokees have this problem . one cause is the crank position sensor ,mounted on the top of the trans. bell housing near / under the firewall. Some people have had luck with simply unplugging the sensor,waiting 5 minutes,then plugging it back up . In my case ,it had to be replaced .check first the fuel pump relay,located under the hood,pass. side in the fuse box,marked under the fuse box lid as fuel pump relay.the wiper fuse should be the same=check the numbers on the fuse .then check all other fuses with a test light.any blown fuse has a reason for it ,so use the wiring schematic it the back of the owners manual to find all wires in that circuit ,and check those wires for cuts,burns or chaffing (vibration rub marks that cut the wire fot the copper inside to corrode ).also make sure that the battery is not corroded , check the main ground wires for loose nuts that will make them a bad control ground .most older cherokees up to 1996 have a "trick" to getting the check engine light to blink a number of times for the code .turn the switch to the forward on position and back off 6 times then leave on for the code and write down the numbers. unlike chevy ,it only gives one code= no repeats until it is done so write fast . last code means its done . check you tube for videos on this . main cause = 99% of the time = FAULTY CRANK POSITION SENSOR

Collapse -
NO START
by greasemonkey22 / March 19, 2012 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: 98 jeep cherokee sport

ALL of the jeep cherokees have this problem . one cause is the crank position sensor ,mounted on the top of the trans. bell housing near / under the firewall. Some people have had luck with simply unplugging the sensor,waiting 5 minutes,then plugging it back up . In my case ,it had to be replaced .check first the fuel pump relay,located under the hood,pass. side in the fuse box,marked under the fuse box lid as fuel pump relay.the wiper fuse should be the same=check the numbers on the fuse .then check all other fuses with a test light.any blown fuse has a reason for it ,so use the wiring schematic it the back of the owners manual to find all wires in that circuit ,and check those wires for cuts,burns or chaffing (vibration rub marks that cut the wire fot the copper inside to corrode ).also make sure that the battery is not corroded , check the main ground wires for loose nuts that will make them a bad control ground .most older cherokees up to 1996 have a "trick" to getting the check engine light to blink a number of times for the code .turn the switch to the forward on position and back off 6 times then leave on for the code and write down the numbers. unlike chevy ,it only gives one code= no repeats until it is done so write fast . last code means its done . check you tube for videos on this . main cause = 99% of the time = FAULTY CRANK POSITION SENSOR . LET ME KNOW IF THIS WAS HELPFUL

Collapse -
re : jeep gand cherokee no start = no spark or fuel

ALL of the jeep cherokees have this problem . one cause is the crank position sensor ,mounted on the top of the trans. bell housing near / under the firewall. Some people have had luck with simply unplugging the sensor,waiting 5 minutes,then plugging it back up . In my case ,it had to be replaced .check first the fuel pump relay,located under the hood,pass. side in the fuse box,marked under the fuse box lid as fuel pump relay.the wiper fuse should be the same=check the numbers on the fuse .then check all other fuses with a test light.any blown fuse has a reason for it ,so use the wiring schematic it the back of the owners manual to find all wires in that circuit ,and check those wires for cuts,burns or chaffing (vibration rub marks that cut the wire fot the copper inside to corrode ).also make sure that the battery is not corroded , check the main ground wires for loose nuts that will make them a bad control ground .most older cherokees up to 1996 have a "trick" to getting the check engine light to blink a number of times for the code .turn the switch to the forward on position and back off 6 times then leave on for the code and write down the numbers. unlike chevy ,it only gives one code= no repeats until it is done so write fast . last code means its done . check you tube for videos on this . main cause = 99% of the time = FAULTY CRANK POSITION SENSOR . LET ME KNOW IF THIS WAS HELPFUL .

Collapse -
no start
by greasemonkey22 / March 20, 2012 11:46 AM PDT

ALL of the jeep cherokees have this problem . one cause is the crank position sensor ,mounted on the top of the trans. bell housing near / under the firewall. Some people have had luck with simply unplugging the sensor,waiting 5 minutes,then plugging it back up . In my case ,it had to be replaced .check first the fuel pump relay,located under the hood,pass. side in the fuse box,marked under the fuse box lid as fuel pump relay.the wiper fuse should be the same=check the numbers on the fuse .then check all other fuses with a test light.any blown fuse has a reason for it ,so use the wiring schematic it the back of the owners manual to find all wires in that circuit ,and check those wires for cuts,burns or chaffing (vibration rub marks that cut the wire fot the copper inside to corrode ).also make sure that the battery is not corroded , check the main ground wires for loose nuts that will make them a bad control ground .most older cherokees up to 1996 have a "trick" to getting the check engine light to blink a number of times for the code .turn the switch to the forward on position and back off 6 times then leave on for the code and write down the numbers. unlike Chevy ,it only gives one code= no repeats until it is done so write fast . last code means its done . check you tube for videos on this . main cause = 99% of the time = FAULTY CRANK POSITION SENSOR .

Collapse -
97jeep cherokee no spark no fuel\voltage gauge SOLUTION
by jleif25 / June 9, 2012 8:18 AM PDT

I have a 97 jeep cherokee it would crand over but didn't have any spark and fuel gauge and voltage gauge didn't work I replaced the computer and the crank sensor multiple times, I even checked all the fuses. BUT when I continuity tested all the fuses I found out that the automatic shutoff relay fuse under the hood in the fuse box didn't look blown or fried but it still wasn't any good and when I replaced it the fuel gauge and the voltage gauge came on and she fired right up

Collapse -
FIX TO NO START OF 1990S STYLE JEEP GRAND CHEROKEES
by mark_a_lucas37 / November 1, 2012 3:08 PM PDT

Sorry for not replying when I found the TRUE problem and cure.
PROBLEM: On my 1997 Jeep GC it was a power wire to the combination Fuel Pump/Fuel Guage Sender/Filter. The wire (and associated circuit) had fried and hence had damaged the Computer.

FIX: 1) You cannot fix this unless you are an experienced mechanic and have a lift and lots of time & patience.
2) I Stopped wasting time with the two IDIOT Jeep Dealers (who Incorrectly told me it was a corroded power distribtion block ... which was visibly Not corroded and Not the problem in the least). In Austin TX I went to a Jeep specialist - "Jeep Masters".
3) The Jeep Masters mechanic replaced the sender wire and replaced the computer module. A few wiring patches were needed (details I cannot provide), as part of the wire replacement.
4) Overall Cost to repair: appx $500 (appx $200 for the computer and $300 for labor).
5) CAVEAT - for a few months the Fuel Guage worked correctly again, but then reverted to its old weird **** of intermittent working. However, the Starting problem Was fixed.

Collapse -
Check the factory alarm

I have a 98, and went through the same problem. no spark, and no fuel pump. I reset the alarm,
and I got spark, and you need to floor the pedal one (1) time and the fuel pump activates. This is
a antitheft shut off reset for the fuel pump to work. You need to have a fully powered battery to do
a complete reset. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Dead96Jeep / August 4, 2014 1:28 AM PDT

96 Cherokee 4.0. Mind just goes dead once you turn the key. No batt, no radio. When I disconnect battery I get a re-do. Problem over the last 2 years was intermittent. Happened x2 in the last week. Printed out your advise, and will take it to my mechanic today - as it sits in front of my house right now. Talk to you later.

Collapse -
Probable solution
by 26486888927023182061449668924551 / July 2, 2015 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

When the check engine light does not turn on when turning key into ignition on, and 3-5-7-10minutes are needed to be in key on mode, and after that you hear rattling noise on the relays for a few seconds, after this the pump awakes and pre-loads the circuit at the same time that check engine light turns on...

remove ECU, open it, remove the silicone patiently with a cutter, remove this three capacitors (220uF, 25V, 105°) and replace them. Put again the silicone (NEUTRAL, not normal silicone that has acetic acid, which will attack the board)

Collapse -
Probable Solution

When the check engine light does not turn on when turning key into ignition on, and 3-5-7-10minutes are needed to be in key on mode, and after that you hear rattling noise on the relays for a few seconds, after this the pump awakes and pre-loads the circuit at the same time that check engine light turns on...

remove ECU, open it, remove the silicone patiently with a cutter, remove this three capacitors (220uF, 25V, 105°) and replace them. Put again the silicone (NEUTRAL, not normal silicone that has acetic acid, which will attack the board)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.