TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

9 Pin S-Video??

by bubble8 / January 31, 2005 2:37 AM PST

Hello i have a problem, my computers video card has a 9 pin s-video out and im trying to connect it to a tv with a 4 pin s-video port how can i convert the 9 pin s video to the 4 i have been searching for days and can fond nothing please someone help!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 9 Pin S-Video??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 9 Pin S-Video??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There must be a mistake.
by Art / January 31, 2005 3:21 PM PST
In reply to: 9 Pin S-Video??

As far as I know, there is only one s-video connection configuration.

Collapse -
Same problem
by giampi / February 6, 2005 10:59 PM PST

I have the same problem with my card Chaintec ndivia 4200.
Do you have any good new?

Collapse -
Same here
by skelsey / March 10, 2005 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

Same here, it's taken me 3 days to find someone else with the same problem. I have an XFX 6600gt with a 9 pin port and I have searched everywhere for info about 9 pin ports with no luck. But I am in touch with xfx tech support, they say it's not VIVO but 9 pin S-Video. I've asked them about adapters and leads, I'lkl let everyone know what the reply is.

Collapse -
UPDATE
by skelsey / March 10, 2005 9:10 PM PST
In reply to: Same here

XFX tech support replied saying that 9-pin S-Video is farely rare and is sort of discontinued and not used on any newer cards (although i'm sure my my 6600gt was only released a few months ago). They have offered to send me a 9-pin to 4-pin female lead. This will get round my problem but im very annoyed that I have been sold, what I would consider a new product with a port which will surely cause me limitations in the future. There was no mention of this 'rare' 9-pin port when i ordered the card either. I think I might send it back. : (

Collapse -
9 Pin S-Video??
by ramusson / February 8, 2005 5:27 PM PST

As it seems, the video card in the computer has a input & output video socket combined. In your case, the card video input may be a dummy. But in Video capture cards, both input and output can be active.

I'm trying to get the pin details, but the following link may be useful. http://www.svideo.com/9pinvivo.html

Collapse -
9 Pin port
by Zero-Hour / March 11, 2005 3:28 AM PST

In my experience you have to purchase an adapter from your computer systems manufacture. This is because this S-Video jack on some system also dose audio out. The adapter will connect to this 9 pin port and convert it into an S-Video as well as audio out ports. Hope this help.

Collapse -
You're Right
by skelsey / March 11, 2005 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: 9 Pin port

That's pretty much what tech support have offered me. It would have been nice to know about this problem before I went ahead and bought the card though : (.

Collapse -
Eureaka! Found the adapter!
by zebraloc / April 8, 2005 12:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
EASY SOLUTION
by skymage420 / November 28, 2009 1:07 PM PST

This problem was a pretty easy fix for me. If you have a normal 4 pin s-video cable, get a verry thin screw driver or something. Take one end of the cable, and bend the little plastic bit inside until it breaks off.
With this plastic tab removed, the cable will fit perfectly on your 9pin video card port. From reading here, i'm guessing all those extra pins are for audio but the 4 pin used for the picture are in the same position. Works PERFECTLY, we're watchin some kung-fu cop movie with woodie harelson and jet li on the big screen while my bro plays a game on the monitor Grin dual display is sweeeeeeet.
So..remove the plastic clip and you have urself a 4pin to 9pin cable Happy then just follow the usual steps to enable ur tvout. Enjoy Happy

Collapse -
If it's too good to be true...
by JeeBar / January 4, 2010 1:16 PM PST
In reply to: EASY SOLUTION

Then you must be talking about this last guy's tip...Snap the pin of a 4-pin S-Video and it'll work with a 9-pin jack? Yeah right, come on!

OHHH SNAP, he's right!!!

I had to sign up for CNet just to say thanks for this tip. I'd spent a few days and around $100 on various cables and adapters and even bought a new graphics card trying to solve the problem of connecting from a 9-pin S-Video graphics card on my computer to a 4-pin S-Video connection on my home theater receiver. Thank god I found this thread just before installing it to end my pain.

I had a snotty twerp at Fry's tell me there's no such thing as anything but a 4-pin-with-a-tab S-Video connector, then found out that modern graphics cards several aisles away have 7-pin S-Video connectors that are compatible with the 4-pin cables, etc.

Net-net, this friggin' WORKS. Snap that pin off your S-video cable and it'll plug right into your 9-pin port.

Collapse -
Wow
by bey0nd01 / July 5, 2010 10:18 PM PDT

I just spent over 2 days searching for the 9 pin nvidia adapter...
i happened to find this page whilst attempting to find the adapter to purchase.... thought well hell... what have i got to lose a $5 s-video cable... ? took out my car keys and bend the plastic tab inside off of the svideo cable and wow. it works. hahahah so much for a new video card! the svideo 4 pin works perfectly in the 9 pin.. the output works perfectly for my secondary monitor output as well!

thank you so much for the blatantly obvious idea hahah i love it..
!!! and i shall call you macgyver, and you shall be my macgyver.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.