Cameras forum

General discussion and are they OK

by aldan68 / November 13, 2007 10:53 PM PST

Does anyone knows those sellers are they OK? They have really low prices (for Canon SD870, SD850 SX100) but it smell fishy.
Thank you
I'm still waiting for reply about quality different between Canon SX100 and SD850. If you know please reply soon. I need to order them TODAY.
Thanks again

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: and are they OK
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: and are they OK
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Buy from BuyDig....
by digicamdude / November 14, 2007 1:12 AM PST

No, they are not okay.\
You'd be better off buying from It is pretty much the cheapest legit store out there.
In answer to which camera is better, I'd say the SX100 IS is better (you can compare them yourself at Although the A720 IS beats both of them (better noise, less purple fringing). Both the SX100 IS and the SD850 IS smear out noise and detail at higher ISOs, the A720 IS seems to keep both. Personally I prefer this approach, but you can see for yourself what you like better.

Collapse -
Starlight Camera, TechonDIGITAL, TheDigitalNerds, BEWARE!
by wp957 / March 10, 2008 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Buy from BuyDig....

Do not use this company for any transactions. They are corrupt, dishonest, aggressive, rude and all round con men.
I ordered a Canon PowerShot G9, 12.1 Megapixel camera online with this company as the advertised price was very competitive. At the time the camera was advertised as available. Later I go an email from the company requesting that I call to confirm my order within 24 hours. As it was late Sunday I called the next morning. I was greeted by a sales rep who confirmed my order number and then tried to sell me a memory card for the camera. I told him that I didn?t need this item but he persisted. Again I said no but he still persisted. I continued to say no (seven more times) but each time the sales rep got more and more aggressive and more belligerent. Eventually when he realized that I wasn?t interested in a memory card he then tried to sell me a spare battery. Again I said no and again he persisted. I had enough and told him that all I wanted was the camera and that if he could not do this then I was going to cancel the order. Then he just stopped his aggressive sales pitch and said ? I hope you enjoy your camera? and them immediately hung up. About 1 hour later I received an email stating that as per my instructions my order was cancelled. I did not instruct them to cancel my order. I called their customer support and spoke to another aggressive man who claimed to be a supervisor and who said that the camera I ordered was now out of stock. I questioned him about the original email requesting me to confirm my order, the really annoying sales rep and the second email about canceling the order. All he said was that the item was no longer available and that his sales people were just trying to make a living. I now realize that because I didn?t want to buy the overpriced accessories, they decided not to honor my order and just canceled it without a valid reason. Both people I spoke to there were very aggressive and ignorant and were only interested in trying to con me out of more money.

Collapse -
here's how to REPORT FRAUD
by jessehoff / June 21, 2008 3:04 PM PDT

The Special Prosecutions Unit at the New York DA's office deals specifically with fraud cases just like this one. The phone number is (212) 335-8900.

If even half of you guys take a few minutes to report what happened to you, the DA's office will investigate and prosecute them. It shouldn't be a hard investigation, all they have to do is place an order and wait.

Collapse -
by lakecottage / November 15, 2007 10:07 AM PST

When you try to buy, they make you call them to "confirm" your order and then when you do not purchase additional extras at extremely high prices, they cancel your order. Really unethical people from (it sounds like) the northeast.

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you all. I ordered from
by aldan68 / November 15, 2007 11:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Another NO for technodigital
by jwhite18816 / November 19, 2007 9:36 AM PST

Before reading the discussion here, I tried to purchase a Kodak Digital cam. They called me and high pressured to purchase more. Like a high speed card that started out at $120 and quickly went down to $30.00. Finally made the guy understand I wasn't buying more.

Sent an email asking when delivery would be. No Answer.

Called this evening and was told that I had ordered the Asian model and that it would be $20.00 more for the English users manual. Told him to cancel. Then it was $15.00 for the manual. Told him to cancel. Then $10.00 for the manual. Offered him $5.00. He said OK, I will cancel the order.

Contacted my Master Card people and had them issue me another card and number. Guy was a rude SOB.

Collapse -
Don't Buy
by tom_kieffer / November 20, 2007 4:30 AM PST

Same as other posts

Collapse -
Unethical, at least
by gblack7205 / November 23, 2007 10:49 AM PST

I ordered a camera early today at a great price (shoulda known better). Got the call for confirmation email and did so. High pressure, rude and obnoxious attempt to upsell with some expensive batteries. I maintained a no response and he said "your order is cancelled - right now!" I called back to complain, got complete denial and in the rudest sort of way. At least they haven't dinged my credit card for the charge, though with all the purchase info I gave them, they can probably walk off with my identity. Definitely bad, bad folks.
GB, Michigan

Collapse -
Credit info
by jwhite18816 / November 23, 2007 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: Unethical, at least

I was so concerned about them having my credit info, I cancelled my current card and am having another one issued.

Collapse -
by mrmikeg / November 26, 2007 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Credit info

Called to place order on 11/15. Was told I had to place online. Placed online. Was called later in evening and pressured to purhcase additional items. Told them no. Called today (11/26) to confirm order. Was told order was cancelled due to cameras not available. They were available on 15th. Asked to speak to manager. Was told no. Asked how to contact manager or owner. Was told it was none of my business. Extremely rude, arrogant, and obnoxious. No email confirmations given for order. No email link online to contact them even though website states to send email for quicker response. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS "COMPANY".

Collapse -
Another horror story from Technodigital aka The camera whiz
by gbtanjose / November 26, 2007 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Techondigital

Bought a camcorder from these guys. Got a message from the web site to call them to confirm the order. I was foolish enough to do it. They pushed me into buying a DC power charger and another battery for an additional $230! They were very aggressive and rude.

The alarm bell went off when I saw a charge on my credit card from another company (THE CAMERA WIZ INC 800-957-6628 NY). At that point I googled the phone# and the site: lot of scam horror stories...

Well: they ripped me off. Blame on me because:
1. I did not check their reputation first
2. I did not paid attention to the fact that there is no physical address on their web site
3. I did not resist to the upsell pressure

In any case, I called them up to cancel the order and they told me that it had been already fulfilled. I asked for the tracking# and they told me that they would send via e-mail in the next 5 minutes. They didn't. I called them back: after 10 minutes and various "please wait" they gave me a UPS --- non existing --- tracking #.

I called my credit card company to stop the payment. Too late, unless I will not receive the merchandise.

I will update this when and if I will receive the product - supposed to be new and in its original/sealed manufacturing box.

Very good lesson learned. BEWARE of this scammers.

Collapse -
Another Horror Story
by jwhite18816 / November 26, 2007 7:23 AM PST

So sorry to hear they got your money. Will be interesting to know if you get your stuff all new.

Please keep us informed.

Collapse -
BBB search
by XL4 / November 26, 2007 11:24 AM PST

My wife and I almost fell into this companies scam. After being hung up on 3 or 4 times my wife was extremely frustrated with the company and gave up on them. FYI I looked them up on the BBB which you can go to here
. I found it interesting as I looked under "" and found nothing, I looked under "86th Street Photo & Video" and found nothing, "THE CAMERA WIZ INC" nothing came up. Only when I searched by phone number "800-957-6628" did I find their information. The funny thing is I don't see 86th st name or identity anywhere. If you all haven't you should also report and file with the BBB about this company. They'll get theirs some day.

Collapse -
Result from complaint to the BBB
by ghiscau / November 17, 2008 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: BBB search

In Answer, to your post, I'll just give a head up on my complaint to the BBB (done in September): this is the letter I just received from them:

The Better Business Bureau has attempted to present your complaint to Broadway Photo in an attempt to resolve this matter to your mutual satisfaction. Unfortunately, despite our efforts to achieve a mutually satisfactory resolution of this matter, we have received no response to your complaint. We have attempted to contact Broadway Photo through written correspondence twice on your behalf. We have also attempted to contact this firm by telephone. Despite such repeated efforts, we are compelled to close this matter in our files. This does not minimize the importance of your concerns to you, nor is it any reflection upon the validity of your dispute. We wish to provide you with prompt notification, as you may wish to pursue this matter through an alternative resource.

The Better Business Bureau is a private, nonprofit organization without the powers of an enforcement agency; as such, we cannot compel a business to grant you a particular settlement or to respond to your complaint. BBB mediation is a voluntary process requiring the good faith and willing participation of both parties to a dispute. A central function of the dispute resolution process is to enhance communication between the parties and, in so doing, foster a greater appreciation of contradictory positions. Utilizing such efforts, we often attain a mutually satisfactory resolution to disputes brought to our attention; not all matters, however, achieve such an outcome.

Please be advised that this firm?s failure to respond to your complaint will be reflected in its BBB record. Accordingly, we will report that this firm has an unanswered complaint to consumers, businesses, banks, government officials, and members of the press who inquire about them. In addition, firms failing to answer even one such complaint will generally receive an unsatisfactory rating, the Bureau?s lowest mark. Your experience may, therefore, alert other consumers seeking information through the BBB.

Thank you for contacting the Better Business Bureau. We hope that we may be of assistance in the future.

Shirley Gerber

BBB Serving Metropolitan New York

At least, now they are red flagged, and hopefully it will help other potential customers. I also filed a complaint with the FBI, and hopefully it will work better there!

Collapse -
Thanks for Warning Me Off 86photovideo
by k2theb / November 20, 2008 4:20 AM PST

I was pricing the Cannon G10 and that offered by too good to be true. A bit of googling led me to your conversation here where my suspicions were confirmed. So thanks to all those who took the time to warn other consumers. I'm in your debt. Obviously, I'll be purchasing my camera elsewhere.

BTW, perhaps there is something confessional in this company's name given the the cultural meaning of "86" - to eradicate.

Collapse -
by ghiscau / November 20, 2008 5:02 AM PST

I'm so happy they didn't get you too! and glad you've been smart enough to google them before, not after, like me...
Hope you'll find a good deal for real, somewhere else!

Collapse -
by bmjusa / December 27, 2008 7:33 AM PST

bait and switch at its best. They offered the lowest priced Garmin 265wt and claim to offer a five star reliable service. Dont go near these guys. I ordered the garmin and they asked me to call them about my online order. I was told I need a 1 or 2 gig SD card for either $119 or $149 - the same memory is usually around $15!!. When I questioned this I was offered the 2 gig at the 1 gig price and free shipping. I said no thanks. Then he also offered me a free map upgrade - Garmin provide this anyway. I told them to cancel my order. They then contacted me and said there would be a 5-6 week delay as they were out of stock. ie there never was any intention to honor the order at the quoted price. This should be illegal?
I ordered from Amazon and 2 days later I had exactly what I wanted. Great product and great service. With Amazon its what you see is what you get and I should have know better that a much lower price being offered was too good to be true. Garmin need to make sure that 86 PhotoVideo are not allowed to sell their products.

Collapse -
86th street photo is run by a gang of con artists.
by pvjim / January 22, 2009 6:43 AM PST

Don't waste your time on these losers. They advertise low prices but never ship. Instead they try to bait and switch you to other higher priced merchandise because the low priced camera, video, etc. that you originally ordered is on "indefinite backorder"

Avoid these scammers.

Collapse -
good news!
by ghiscau / November 24, 2008 11:59 PM PST

I'm so happy: these ****** finally decided to refund me everything. They're stuborn, but I'm too! It took me 6 months, but I had told them that I would not let them enjoy even one of my pennies, and they didn't!
Keep calling them and reporting them : BBB, IC3 (FBI) or even local police... Good luck everyone and happy buying somewhere else!

Collapse -
File complaint with Ny district attorneys office
by octotroph / December 28, 2008 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: good news!

I have filed a complaint against these people with the BBB and NY DA. They lie without blinking not only to the online customer but also to the District Attorney. They sent the DA a form they had filled out on their computer network and told the DA that was what I had filled out online. THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS. I posted elsewhere on this forum in this thread a picture of their "business". It looks like what it is: a scam joint. Keep filing complaints with the BBB and NYDA you can do it online and if they get enough complaints maybe they will do something about them or they will just go and change their name again.

Collapse -
They a not walk off with my identity
by Sasha2008 / November 9, 2008 10:59 AM PST
In reply to: Unethical, at least

I make same mistakes with "86photovideomcom"
And after all,cancel order
But problem is: after cancelation, You go to -Shopping cart - Billing&shiping and You,( or not You ?) can see all
information about You :address, credit card number and security cod

Collapse -
Cancel orders
by whaselow / December 7, 2007 4:54 AM PST

You order and they try to pressure you to buy other outrageously priced products and if you don't, they cancel the order. I went to there web site just after there out of stock email and they say it is in stock. True bait and switch. The Attorney Generals of the different states should contact them.

Collapse -
by anagram69 / August 29, 2008 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Cancel orders

Cause for concern:

I attempted to purchase a product and was called within the hour to verify the purchase. Fair enough. But then I was hit with about a 2 minute high pressure sales job trying to sell me additional memory and sweetening the offer, changing prices etc....As he was talking I quickly accessed Google and determined that I didn't need the extra stuff and declined. He continued with the high pressure sales until he shot out his last "best offer". When I declined he said something along the lines I hope you like your product and hung up.

The next day I received the email below but there website clearly shows that the product is still in stock. Classic bait and switch. Obviously having executed a transaction through these people there is some concern that our information may be reused for other intentions.

We thank you for your order and appreciate you shopping with us .

Due to the product you ordered being out of stock for 6-8 weeks from today's date. We regret to inform you that the order is canceled due to the product being on backorder. when or if we get the product again in stock soon will send you an email to place an order please do not resubmit your order again . sorry again and thanks for your understanding .

Collapse -
by No. 12 / May 5, 2008 2:24 AM PDT

They tried the same "sales tactics" on me a few minutes ago. I'm sure they are related to the same group in NYC that sells fake Rolex watches. STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

Collapse -
Bad experience with 86thphotovideo
by BBlauve / November 28, 2007 4:20 AM PST

I found a posting for the Camera I wanted on I used a merchant shown as a "Featured Merchant". The merchant I chose was 86th Street Video and Photo. The resulting experience was just a big waste of 2 weeks. I was instructed via e-mail to call "Todd" at customer service to "confirm" my order. They tried to sell me a $20 memory upgrade for $139, and tried to get me to upgrade the standard battery (I didn't ask how much). I declined both offers. 12 DAYS LATER, they told me via e-mail that the item which was listed as "IN STOCK - Usually ships in 24-48 hours" would not be available for 5-8 WEEKS. There seem to be many camera stores in the New York area that use this business tactic. I finally bought my camera at Amazon.

Good Luck,

Collapse -
86th street photo & video
by Ovi60 / June 5, 2008 9:45 PM PDT

This "photo store" is still using the same luring strategies. Be very carefull not to order anything from them, no matter how low or provacative the price might seem. Another photo web site using the same illicit practices is

Collapse -
86th Street Photo & Video Is A Scam
by bugm3n0t / June 21, 2008 1:15 PM PDT

This is rediculus! 86th Street & Video needs to be stopped! It wasn't until after I placed an order that i noticed their web page title is "**** Th3 W0rld". This should've raised suspision.

Collapse -
86th Street Photo Video
by ronbachman / November 29, 2007 10:41 PM PST

I ordered a Canon SD850 from this vendor. They called to verify credit card info that was clearly on line and accurate anyway. They tried to upsell with various "deals" on overpriced accessories. They bad mouthed the standard battery and memory card package (the 2GB memory card they were selling for $86 is available for $15-20 from many stores). When I declined the upselling of over $150, they then sent me a message that the XMas gift was out of stock but would be in stock in 5-6 weeks. Their website still shows the product in stock! Stay away, they are unethical! Don't be sucked in by a low initial prce. Pay more from a reputable vendor.

Collapse -
turn 86th street photo video to the bbb!
by cscoffee / June 13, 2008 5:14 PM PDT

I placed an order with 86photo video 3 months ago. Never received my product, when I called to see If it had been sent yet, customer service was very inappropriate. Told me I should not wait for my product to cancel. They called me a liar, a looser and a few other things that won?t be mentioned.(i wasnt even rude to them) I have never been treated this way by customer service! Told me that they don't have to please me, I have to please them if I want there service! That?s not how a business runs. The company is not a legitimate one. They offerd a gps at a good price, but after you place the order, they call you and want you to buy other over priced items. If you tell them no on the items, they will just keep telling you your item is not in stock. I'm sure if I had bought something else I would have my gps! If you could please address this problem... I turned them in to the bbb, but don't think I can do it Myself. Just in case anyone else wants to turn them in!
86th street photo and video
2845 86th st.

Collapse -
Techon Digital and 86th Street Photo
by eugene60101 / July 15, 2008 4:43 AM PDT

I ordered the Canon G9 camera from 86th Street Photo 3 days ago and this morning got an email telling me to call them for verification of the order. I thought it strange, as I had provided all info on line, but I called and it was as several of you have said about this company and about Techon Digital. They are a scam. They pretended to want to verify my info and then tryed to sell me extra batteries and stuff. I told them no and within 5 minutes, I had an email saying the camera was not available and I would be put on back order status! I emailed them telling them that I felt I had been treated badly by them but did not cancel the order. Within another 15 minutes I got an email saying my order was cancelled!!!! Both of these companies operate the same and I will not buy anything from elither one! Be careful if you do.....

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.