Phones forum

Resolved Question

8320 Internet issue...thanks in advance!

by treefrog11 / November 21, 2012 11:52 AM PST

Hello all and thank you in advance for considering my problem.

To begin, I have spent a decent amount of time researching this issue and have tried a number of remedies.

My issue: I would like be able to use the Curve 8320 to surf the net over wi-fi without a data plan. I don't see why this is an unreasonable request given that I do the same thing with my laptop at home, in Starbucks, at work and at the local library. This issue has become quite frustrating because there have been people who have posted that they have been able to use their Blackberry's without a data plan.

What I have done:
-wiped out phone shortly after receiving it from EBAY
-was able to surf the web before I realized I was getting charged...promptly had T-Mobile block data on my account
-I asked T-mobile if I could use WI-Fi without a data plan and the rep said, "yes."
-Turned of data on the phone
-updated the phone with Blackberry's 4.5 OS?
-Downloaded Opera Mini to my PC and then successfully installed it on the 8320
-changed the browser to "hotspot browser"
-enabled the firewall on the phone
-edited Opera Mini preferences to "allow"

My thoughts:
-When I wiped the phone, did I also wipe necessary
-It seems that the Blackberry and T-mobile browser would not allow me to connect to the internet. This is why I downloaded Opera Mini. Was this a correct move?
-What is the reason this is so difficult?
Other stuff (updated):

When I attempt to use Opera Mini, I get an error message that it was trying to "connect to a low-level network." I did some research and then edited the setting in Opera Mini to "Allow," I also enable the firewall on the phone.

Then when I tried Opera Mini, I got a new error message that said, "the application operette 4$2dhifi has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is, not allowed by your IT policy."

This is where I am currently.

Again, thank you for considering my issue.

treefrog11 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 8320 Internet issue...thanks in advance!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 8320 Internet issue...thanks in advance!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by treefrog11

Collapse -
The only clue I see is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 12:19 PM PST

-enabled the firewall on the phone

I only do that after I get it working.

Collapse -
Thank you but...
by treefrog11 / November 21, 2012 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: The only clue I see is

I have tried the phone with and without the firewall enabled. I just disabled the firewall and received a message:
"The application Opera Mini 4 has attempted to access a low-level network connection. Would you like to allow this?"

I answered: YES

Then, "The application Opera Mini 4 has attempted to access Would you like to allow this?"

I answered: YES

"Failed to connect to the internet. Go to http.//......"

Thanks again for your reply.

Collapse -
by treefrog11 / November 22, 2012 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you but...
Collapse -
Nice to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 1:14 AM PST

Sorry if I didn't give the right answer but I work with few BB devices and out of the box they work. It appears your phone wasn't reset to stock, as in how I see then when new.

Hope you understand why I noted the firewall.

Collapse -
Spoke too soon...
by treefrog11 / November 23, 2012 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: Nice to read.

Unfortunately, it turns out that I was unsuccessful in getting on to the internet. After I was able to use the internet with both browsers, I checked my mobile service options and found that I had left data services "ON." When I changed this setting to "Off," I once again got the following error message when attempting to access the internet with Opera Mini:

"Failed to connect to the internet. Go to www.operamini.... with your desktop browser or..."

So, I am back to being unsuccessful at accessing the internet with this Blackberry Curve 3820.

Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Sadly just the same thing as before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2012 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: Spoke too soon...

I can't guess why folk have a firewall turned on while they are troubleshooting. I guess it's something you learn first hand.

There is another issue and that is why this phone? We have choices today.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.