TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

720p Plasma vs. 1080p LCD

by jefftb / March 5, 2009 4:01 AM PST

I am sure this has been beaten to death, but hope for some definitive answers.

I am looking at a Samsung LCD 40" 1080p and a Panasonic 42" Plasma 720p.

It will be in a fairly small room (apartment) so people could be withing 3-10 feet of the TV.

Will eventually get a Blue Ray probably, but for now, hooking up a standard DVD, HD Cable TV, and Apple TV.

Thoughts, recommendations?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 720p Plasma vs. 1080p LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 720p Plasma vs. 1080p LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At those viewing distances...
by Pepe7 / March 5, 2009 4:22 AM PST

...1080p might be preferable. OTOH, what is the PQ like when you do a side by side(?) There is some variation by model and make (you haven't provided model #).

-Pedro

Collapse -
1080 vs 720
by cbrseadude / March 5, 2009 4:29 AM PST

whats the price difference? I have a sony 40inch Z series 1080p and a vizio 37inch 720 and for me its tough to tell a huge difference. The vizio cost me 400 bucks and the sony 1,000 bucks, so is it 600 bucks better? No. Also standard tv will look better on a 720 set then a 1080. But the price alone may be the decider, thats why I ask.

Collapse -
Price
by jefftb / March 5, 2009 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: 1080 vs 720

The price is the same for both units, right around $800.

Collapse -
Models...
by jefftb / March 5, 2009 4:38 AM PST

The LCD is Samsung 40b530

the Plasma is Panasonic TC-p42x1

Collapse -
prices
by jefftb / March 5, 2009 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Models...

Prices are the same ~$800.

Collapse -
Of course it's your call. Offhand I consider them both fine
by NM_Bill / March 6, 2009 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: prices

choices. The tipping point might be the newer technology of 1080 for the same price. In general I have preferred the plasma picture for the main TV in the house. 720 would be fine at the size & viewing distances you have mentioned. I am a proponent that the beginning point one can really see the benefits of 1080 over 720 is at 50 inches & larger.

Go back to the showroom somwtime they are slack rather than busy & take an hour of viewing time to have your mind settle of the one for you.

Collapse -
I guess ..
by cbrseadude / March 7, 2009 1:58 AM PST

if it was me, I would pick the LCD, same price, and even though u probably wouldnt notice it until you used a blueray player, 1080 quality capable for future use.

Collapse -
Ok here is the way I see it.
by gabereyes / March 7, 2009 11:13 AM PST

first you must understand what makes up picture quality.

based on Cnet, image science foundation, and sound and vision mag.
the number 1 thing that makes a quality picture is contrast ratio, number 2 is color saturation, number 3 is color accuracy, and the 4th is resolution.

so based on this info, the plasma will win in the first two areas, not so sure about the color accuracy on both sets, but I would not pick any HDTV based on resolution alone.

and you should know that if you have a alot of windows and watch tv in the day this can washout the contrast ratio on any TV set Plasma more so then LCD. so keep this in mind.

Collapse -
1080p LCD looks awesome to my eye
by mojo-a-gogo / June 5, 2010 11:08 AM PDT

I'm getting ready to upgrade and was almost convinced by all the "720 plasma looks better" posters all over the interwebs -- until I went to a showroom and carefully perused dozens of models. My eyes are fairly pathetic and old but even at seven feet I could see a difference in favor of 1080p.

The LED-LCDs look even better, but for price and features the 1080p LCDs look like the best buy. Especially since plasmas have a short-life reputation.

Collapse -
more info
by gabereyes / June 6, 2010 3:16 PM PDT

try reading a few things in the HDTV world section of CNET.com
they have a 1080p section and how to judge picture quality section.

the diffrents you see is in brightness not resolution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.