Mac Hardware forum

Question

7200 rpm hard drive with 750gb or ssd 256? (video editing)

by Nbajason / September 20, 2013 2:02 AM PDT

I'm doing video editing and i'm going to buy a macbook pro and i wanted to know which one i should select-
non- retina display with 7200 rpm-750 gb
or ssd 256 with retina,
both would be similar cost but i'm not sure about the 256 memory with 256gb ssd, any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 7200 rpm hard drive with 750gb or ssd 256? (video editing)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 7200 rpm hard drive with 750gb or ssd 256? (video editing)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Since the Macbook Pro does not hold 256GB RAM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2013 2:12 AM PDT

I'm thinking you meant 256GB SSD. That's too tight for all the video workers I see today. You would not get that model but the old fashioned big HDD.
Bob

Collapse -
yes that's wat i meant
by Nbajason / September 20, 2013 2:37 AM PDT

ok then i guess i will try to get the 7200 rpm with the 750 memory, i guess that will be enough powerfull too right?

Collapse -
"memory" is one thing. Hard disk space is another.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2013 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: yes that's wat i meant

The common term is storage or disk size.

As to video editing your hard core video editing does not happen on laptops. I hope you've had that discussion but the Macbook Pro can edit video at a speed commensurate with its capabilities.
Bob

Collapse -
its like this
by Nbajason / September 20, 2013 2:54 AM PDT

i have two options either buy a non-retina macbook pro 15 inch model with 750GB 7200-rpm hard drive or a retina one with 256GB flash storage.( because of the cost this are my only 2 options)
I usually don't stay in a fix home so that's why i'm going for a macbook pro.

Collapse -
Then the choice is made for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2013 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: its like this

Video editing eats space in gobs. But you knew that.

Collapse -
yes.. but
by Nbajason / September 20, 2013 3:01 AM PDT

I was thinking if required in the future i could buy an external hard drive if i got the 256 flash storage one,
and whether or not 7200 rpm is powerful enough for good video editing. Obviously ssd is ssd but.... still i'm asking

Collapse -
Sure but SSD is limited life span
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2013 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: yes.. but

And video editing is going to push that SSD life time down. However you can push it back up by maxing out the RAM.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-ram-endurance,3475.html

Then you have that issue about externals being on the slow side. It appears you have to learn all this first hand. Have anyone else around to check this out?

Beware those SSD fan boys.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks a lot man
by Nbajason / September 20, 2013 3:29 AM PDT

I had read somewhere about the ssd short-life span somewhere, that was another issue which made me think, i do know that editing from hard drives can be slow... i do have some knowledge about computers obviously not that good(specially hard drives rpm stuff zero knowledge)
my system would be 8 gb ram, the actual main doubt i had was about the 7200 rpm whether its actualy quite good for video editing obviously not comparing to ssd. If you can tell me that will be enough i guess dont wanna bug you any more Wink
anyways that was the actual doubt i had

Collapse -
My first video render and edit was
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2013 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks a lot man

On some Acer ter-600. That was a Pentium 3 at 600MHz and to render to DVD took about 6 hours or overnight. So you can imagine my answer when folk ask me if today's computers can do this or not. (the answer is yes, they can.)

Hope this helps and max out that RAM.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) with 8gb which one would you take?
by Nbajason / September 20, 2013 3:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Because SSD is limited life span
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2013 4:18 AM PDT

For now until this is something far better and the fact that 256GB is not going to hold much I pick the 750GB model.
Bob

Collapse -
A video editor would use an external HD for storage
by Sugith / September 20, 2013 1:43 PM PDT

I would disagree that getting a 750G HD is better for video editing. Depending on the project, 750G may not be enough anyway. A feature film would probably use a few terabytes in editing.

Typically you would use an external HD to store video files and projects. Having an internal SSD drive for OS X and your video editing software, (Final Cut or Avid if you're going to use Windows), and a firewire 800 or USB 3 external HD for video files would be my choice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.