Phones forum

General discussion

7 reasons you would buy the Iphone 2

by siestaboy / June 5, 2007 3:46 PM PDT

List 7 things you would like to see in the 2nd Gen Iphone. Give specifics like price, key features, design, new apps, downloading, storage capacity, etc. I'll list mine below

1. An actual keypad

2. Larger storage capacity- I think anywhere from 16 GB to 60GB should be adequate.

3. Multiple carriers- All popular phones should be distributed by the big three: Verizon, Cingular, and Sprint

4. Itunes Mobile- Why isn't the first Iphone able to download songs on the go or listen to the radio?! Are you kidding me?!

5. Satellite/Internet/HD radio- If the Sandisk Sansa Connect (non-cellular) can stream internet radio, why can't the Iphone?! Having Satellite or HD radio would be cool too!

6. High-speed network support- That's almost imperative with all of these new features coming out!

7. Mobile TV- It would be awesome to have a phone that could stream/record live TV or control my TV through a Slingbox!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 7 reasons you would buy the Iphone 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 7 reasons you would buy the Iphone 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why a new post each time you want to write about iPhone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2007 10:22 PM PDT

Seems to me you have something to write about the iPhone. Why not get it done and over with?

Bob

Collapse -
This PLUS
by natejohnstone / June 6, 2007 4:58 AM PDT

I'd put storage capacity as my #1. That's the reason I'm not buying the 1st gen iPod. Phone items, pda data, music, and videos all in 8GB? I don't think so!! It needs to be 20GB before I'll get one.
Also, I'd like to see an NFC chip. The iPhone combines your phone, pda, and iPod into one device--why not combine your wallet too!
Also, an SD slot would be sweet for ease of data transfer--this isn't just an iPod, if Apple wants to win over some PocketPC and Palm users, they need to make things data-friendly. Plus, then you could store a movie or 3 on a card and that would be sweet.

Collapse -
at&t locked in
by sgmbest12321 / June 6, 2007 10:10 PM PDT

but you know that it apple has an exclusive 5 year aggrement with at&t so its gona be be a long wait.
also alot of your things are somthing that apple will never do.
they dont do radio only because they cant make money off of it.

I personally like the M8 iphone clone. cheaper, better specs and it is rumored to be 16GB

Other potentially better iphone clones
Miezu M8
Deeda Pi Phone

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/meizu-m8-vs-apple-iphone/

Collapse -
re: 7 reasons
by mathew_davis / June 7, 2007 7:48 AM PDT

My seven things I would like to see in the 2nd gen is:

1. Removeable storage. SD is comming out with a 8gb removable card. That would significatly increase space. Plus I can use them in many other devices and it would make data transfers from my phone to a computer with a card reader easy.

2. Larger storage. I think this is a no brainer. Of course the next gen will have bigger storage but just had to make sure it was included.

3. Can we say 3G! Why they picked the only carrier that supports 3G in the us and don't give it 3G is beyond me. That would enable them to have video calling, Mobile I-Tunes, streaming TV and Radio, along with much faster e-mail and internet browsing. And with all the google implimentation that is a must.

4. A better camera. Granted not much better a 3.2 mega pixel with semi good lense if fine with me. Just I have a 2MP camera now and it's great but I still find it slightly lacking.

5. More open to developers. I know that they said they will make it more open but more open from locked out isn't good enough. I want some type of rating system 10 being save and certified to be used with the i-phone and 1 being not tested use at your own risk. That way apple get's safe application, the 10's, and we get more developers developing for the phones, granted less safe or secure. Now I don't want to brick(kill as in only usefull as a brick) my i-phone but I would like some more flexability.

6. VoIP. unlimited calling anyone. Enough said

7. 3D GPU(graphics processing unit) and faster CPU, like an arm11 533Mhz for starters but I wouldn't mind going faster than that. I own a psp, and if the i-phone would even be able to get close to that kind of gaming performance, plus since it has a gyro and accelrometers it could have some Wii controler like input. Granted not as extreme. I wouldn't want to send my $800 i-phone into the cement wall because I threw it too hard, or scramble the insides.

If the i-phone 2nd gen had that it would be the bomb practly a mini pc. Of course if it had all of that it would also cost a whole lot more than 500 - 600 dollars. So while I can still dream and dream of the day I will be happy if I can even afford the i-phone in the first place. I will probably just stick with a sonyericsson phone they are really nice phones.

P.S. - I know this is way far off but have an upgradable cell phone. Pc's have exchangeable parts if cellphones did to I wouldn't be so upset about the 2 or 3 year contracts. The only reason I stay with the 1 yr contracts is because I get a new phone every year that helps me to stay with the times. If all I had to do was buy a new ram chip or faster video chip, or faster cpu. I would sign a 5 year contract.

Collapse -
My biggie is NFC.
by NFCreader / June 9, 2007 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: re: 7 reasons

Call it iWALLET, iNFC, iSPEND. NFC is the next big thing, and Apple better get on the ball if they don't want to be left behind.

Microsoft Surface is just the front for their entry into NFC via mobile software. Nokia is clearly in the lead with NFC in the handsets, but a tiny Canadian company named SIRIT has the IP/skills for other handset makers to get onboard. Kyocera and BENQ have already been working with Sirit, so they can close the gap on Nokia, and I suspect others like Apple will do the same.

The magic of Apple is their marketing to youth. They need NFC as their NEXT marketing tool. I can just see a bunch of kids/teens using their iPODs to text friends, make calls, and spend their parent's hard earned dough as they develop habits that will last a lifetime.

Memory is a given, but NFC is something new in a phone that Apple can use to gain marketshare and dominance.

Collapse -
Why in the heck would they need to put that on a phone!?
by siestaboy / June 9, 2007 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: My biggie is NFC.

It seems so pointless to me, because all it is is lazy technology that would just jack up the price of the phone! I mean really! Are they going to make credit cards, gift cards, i.ds, passports and other cards obsolete now, or are they just making the phones so people won't have to put forth the effort to take them out their purse/wallet!?

Collapse -
No kidding. NFC is coming soon to a business near you.
by NFCreader / June 10, 2007 4:54 AM PDT

The phone will soon be the wallet using NFC. If the teenage love of their phones is any measure, this will be done in such a way that they NFC phone will be a must have item.

Look up NFC forum in google to see the huge multinational companies involved. I suspect they are targeting the entire next generation to change and enhance impulse spending.

In the MULTIPLE global trials to date:

Consumers under 30 love the phone wallet.

VISA, Mastercard, AMEX, Discover all bought in.

Handset leader NOKIA totally in (see for yourself on Youtube).

RFID industry bought in as second revenue stream.

Phone companies buying in, but they don't know if this will make them money. As I said, Kyocera is working with Cellular South on the first multi-city trial. The have something generic in their phones from the RFID/Tech company Sirit that allows the phone to download software from multiple firms and set up multiple accounts. I suspect Cellular South is into this because they can bill for the downloads or transactions.

Now back to Microsoft and Apple. I think Surface is Microsoft's way to have handset makers and users of NFC include their mobile software in phones (similar to PC's with Mocrosoft OS).

In the case of Apple, I am just surprised they would not see the NFC wave swelling, and use it to ride into the mobile market. I doubt we will see any NFC from apple in the first iPHONE, but they will be forced to do so in the second version if Kyocera-Sirit, BenQ-Sirit, Samsung, Nokia and others successfully launch "wireless wallet" phones using NFC.

Further, if surface works, and requires NFC phones, Apple may appear to be even further overpriced and behind with their phone.

I like my MAC, but I won't spend that kind of money on an iPHONE unless it has something really awesome to offer. NFC is the biggie for me.

Collapse -
I wonder how this technology will work
by siestaboy / June 10, 2007 7:16 AM PDT

Does it work by detecting your credit cards or do you enter your credit card info into your phone? If this type of technology existed it would have to be safeguarded from hackers and fraud. If phones like this had Wifi or high-speed network support then they would have to have password protection or something to prevent your credit card info from being stolen. Having the phone just detecting the credit card through a proximity based sensor would be completely unsafe. People could just use their phone to hack into your credit card while they're standing in line with you! BTW, do you have any links to these websites? If you could find them I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
The phone is the credit card with NFC.
by NFCreader / June 10, 2007 9:25 AM PDT

If there is such hype over the iPHONE, I cannot wait for NFC to be rolled-out. NFC will be a revolution.

The phone IS the credit card. Actually, it is the wallet full of credit cards if the owner has several accounts. While they are keeping these things under careful wraps, the hint is that you need a PIN keyed in the phone to pay. In addition, there may even be biometrics eventually (thumb).

If the phone is lost or stolen, the phone can be killed without the consent of the thief.

As far as security, I believe Sirit has layers or proprietary methods that make the wireless transaction safe. That is why the large companies are even speaking to them (BENQ signed this week; they are also a Microsoft partner for the mobile software platform that Microsoft is soon to release).

Links: Just google NFC with:

BenQ
Kyocera
Sirit
Nokia
NXP
"Cellular South"

Also, take a look at youtube to see the Nokia links below and factor this into what you've been reading about Surface. It really is cool.

for Michael Phelps VISA commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEU-zdTtd8

But my favorite (the phone as a dating/social/spending tool). Watch this and tell me which phone you want. This film clip will explain why KYOCERA, BENQ, and others are desperately seeking Sirit to close the time-gap on Nokia.

NFC phone versus iPHONE. NFC is the biggie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duvczJCHdRc

Collapse -
iPhone
by techlover00 / June 9, 2007 5:28 AM PDT

I love Apple products but would never buy the iPhone. The first reason is because it is with Att/Cingular. I was with them for awhile and would never go back. Second is the price: $500-600 for a phone is a lot of money. The only thing you are getting that other smart phones do not offer is a touch screen and the choice to listen to one voice mail message without listening to them all. Other than that there would be no plus for me to get one. Plus other smart phones have removable storage. I am sure after the iPhone release other brands will follow with similar versions. Maybe I am old fashioned but for the time being I can do without a touch screen - I can wait until my carrier comes out with one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.